Help - my Tkinter is broken

Mike Moum

Hi,

I'm running Mepix Linux, which is a Debian based distribution.
Python-2.3.4 is installed in /usr/lib. When I try to import Tkinter
into Python, I get the following error message:
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so: undefined
symbol: PyFPE_jbuf
I've tried the following fixes:
1) Recompile Python from scratch. No good.
2) Delete _tkinter.so from /usr/lib/Python2.3/lib-dynload, then
recompile. However, when I did that there was no _tkinter.so rebuilt in
/usr/lib/Python2.3/lib-dynload. I have sub-directories for tcl-8.4 and
tk-8.4 under /usr/lib.
3) Thinking that the compilation process is looking for tk and tcl under
/usr/local/lib, I created symlinks there to /usr/lib/tcl-8.4 and
/usr/lib/tk-8.4, and then repeated step 2. Still no _tkinter.so.

Searching on google did not find anything useful.

Can anyone help, please.

Thanks,
Mike

Francesco Bochicchio

Hi,

I'm running Mepix Linux, which is a Debian based distribution.
Python-2.3.4 is installed in /usr/lib. When I try to import Tkinter
into Python, I get the following error message:
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so: undefined
symbol: PyFPE_jbuf
I've tried the following fixes:
1) Recompile Python from scratch. No good.
2) Delete _tkinter.so from /usr/lib/Python2.3/lib-dynload, then
recompile. However, when I did that there was no _tkinter.so rebuilt in
/usr/lib/Python2.3/lib-dynload. I have sub-directories for tcl-8.4 and
tk-8.4 under /usr/lib.
3) Thinking that the compilation process is looking for tk and tcl under
/usr/local/lib, I created symlinks there to /usr/lib/tcl-8.4 and
/usr/lib/tk-8.4, and then repeated step 2. Still no _tkinter.so.

Last time I compiled python on Linux (it was the 1.6 ) in order to include
statically Tkinter (or other modules), you needed to tweak with one file
in the Setup sub-directory of the source tree. Given the sore state of my
brain RAM, I can't be more precise than that.

BTW I have Debian Testing and Tkinter works for python 2.3.4. Did you try
simply download and install official python and python-tk debian packages?
(assumed that Mepix is compatible enough with Debian).

HTH

Ciao

Miki Tebeka

Hello Francesco,
Last time I compiled python on Linux (it was the 1.6 ) in order to include
statically Tkinter (or other modules), you needed to tweak with one file
in the Setup sub-directory of the source tree. Given the sore state of my
brain RAM, I can't be more precise than that.
Just uncomment the lines in Modules/Setup that start with _tkinter.

HTH.
Bye.

Mike Moum

A belated Thank You to both of you. Modifying Setup did the trick - it
works now.

Mike