Help needed on CC

Gaudha

Hi GNUs,

I am a regular user of Fedora. In a system, where there was no DVD
drive nor net-connection, I installed Fedora 10 from a Live CD for
temporary use. As no C compilers was there, I was about to install the
GCC package. Configuring the package system returns a message that CC
compiler is missing. Do GCC package not include CC? If so, how to get
it?

Chris Dollin

Gaudha said:
I am a regular user of Fedora. In a system, where there was no DVD
drive nor net-connection, I installed Fedora 10 from a Live CD for
temporary use. As no C compilers was there, I was about to install the
GCC package. Configuring the package system returns a message that CC
compiler is missing. Do GCC package not include CC? If so, how to get
it?

This 'ere Fedora 9 has GCC and the compiler name is ... gcc. CC or cc is
or was a different compiler as far as I know. Also, c89 seems to work
(it's a wrapper or alias round gcc).

[This isn't really a C question, of course.]

James Kuyper

Chris said:
This 'ere Fedora 9 has GCC and the compiler name is ... gcc. CC or cc is
or was a different compiler as far as I know. Also, c89 seems to work
(it's a wrapper or alias round gcc).

It's commonplace to set up 'cc' as an alias or link to gcc; but it would
appear that this is not the case on Gaudha's system.

Guest

James Kuyper said:
It's commonplace to set up 'cc' as an alias or link to gcc; but it would
appear that this is not the case on Gaudha's system.

It's also possible that, based on his post, he's trying to compile gcc.
(I go by the 'configuring' comment...)

If that's the case, he needs to grab the binary package, not the source
tarball or source RPM.

Keith Thompson

Gaudha said:
I am a regular user of Fedora. In a system, where there was no DVD
drive nor net-connection, I installed Fedora 10 from a Live CD for
temporary use. As no C compilers was there, I was about to install the
GCC package. Configuring the package system returns a message that CC
compiler is missing. Do GCC package not include CC? If so, how to get
it?

The name "cc" (I'm guessing the message said "cc", not "CC") is not a
name for one particular C compiler. For example, on Linux systems
with gcc installed, "cc" is set up as an alias for the "gcc" command.
(I'm using "alias" in a generic sense here.)

The gcc compiler (actually it's a collection of compilers) is written
in C. If you build it from source, you need to have an existing C
compiler to compile it. (The build process automatically builds gcc
with the existing compiler, then re-builds gcc with itself; this is
called "bootstrapping".)

If you had a net connection, you could use Fedora's own update
mechanisms to install gcc. Without a net connection, your best bet is
probably to download a Fedora-compatible binary gcc rpm on another
system, transfer it to your system (say, by burning it to a CD-ROM,
and install it. You should be able to find what you need with a
Google search.

Or get a net connection.

But this really isn't a question about the C programming language.
Try asking in a Linux or Fedora forum.

CBFalconer

Gaudha said:
I am a regular user of Fedora. In a system, where there was no DVD
drive nor net-connection, I installed Fedora 10 from a Live CD for
temporary use. As no C compilers was there, I was about to install
the GCC package. Configuring the package system returns a message
that CC compiler is missing. Do GCC package not include CC? If so,
how to get it?

It includes gcc. Did you run that?