HELP - ".Net" user interface under Internet Explorer.. what to do ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by nico1469, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. nico1469

    nico1469 Guest

    Hello all,

    Once windows mmi programming was very easy - vb forms.. nice & easy.
    nowdays, our customers have became IE freaks !!!
    So, my question is, what is the best way to develop mmi in the ".Net"
    environment, over an intranet / lan environment.
    the first alternative is "Asp.Net".. though Microsoft is trying to
    push it very hard, to me the idea seems to be very wrong. I think
    that client code should be seperated from server code. Mixing client &
    server code (without even mentioning screen refreshe issues) does not
    feel right to me and my co-workers.
    The second alternative is pure html code (+xml islands). I dont like
    this idea... developing html in the 21 century seems a bit retro and
    difficult.
    My last alternative is ".Net Winforms" under IE. does anoyone has
    experience with this alternative? theoreticly it seems to be a perfect
    idea..
    is it?

    Thanks in advance,
    Eran Eldor

    nico1469, Nov 18, 2003

  2. There is never a single right answer to every solution. The fundamental
    choice is one of rich client vs. thin client.

    To develop a .NET rich client, you use WinForms. However, this does require
    that every one of your users has the .NET runtime installed on their
    machine, which may be a barrier to using this technology. It can be embedded
    in IE, or it can be a stand alone application. You get a richer experience
    that can take advantage of the hardware running on the client, but you have
    more stringent requirements before somebody can run the application.

    To develop a .NET thin client, you use ASP.NET (WebForms). Here, the client
    needs only have a browser to use your application. You are limited by what
    DHTML provides, but there are no client requirements other than a browser.

    As for your feelings on mixing code, ASP.NET actually strikes a good
    balance. There is a separation of declarative UI code and code behind, and
    you can furthermore separate out your business logic into separate classes,
    or even into web services. If you have a need for screen refreshes at a
    certain interval, however, you can't be guaranteed that, and you will need
    to be creative, either by running some client side code (JavaScript) or
    embedding a rich control (.NET WinForm control, ActiveX control, or Java
    applet). Each has its drawbacks.

    --
    Chris Jackson
    Software Engineer