Help on protect sub-directories with roles

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Luca, Aug 26, 2003.

  1. Luca

    Luca Guest

    I am trying to protect sub-directories making use of the web.config
    <location>-tag.
    Additionally I would like to make us of my internal roles instead of the
    user(names). I.e.:

    <location path="web/admin">
    <authorization>
    <allow roles="Super Administrators"/>
    <deny users="?"/>
    <authorization>
    </location>

    This does NOT seem to work! On the other hand

    <location path="web/admin">
    <authorization>
    <allow roles="sa"/>
    <deny users="?"/>
    <authorization>
    </location>

    does work.
    I would have expected that in the former case the IPrincipal>>IsInRole
    method is called, but this is not the case.

    Can anybody enlighten me on how to make rolebased authorization, or am I
    trying to do soemthing impossible.

    thx all!
    Luca, Aug 26, 2003