    Is there a limitation to the length of a request string? If so, what is it?

    Thanks in advance!!

    - brad
    Brad, Apr 4, 2006

  2. Brad

    Jim Moe Guest

    Brad wrote:

    > Is there a limitation to the length of a request string? If so, what is it?

    What is a "request string?"

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
    Jim Moe, Apr 4, 2006

  3. Brad

    Brad Guest

    That's what's in the address bar:
    www.example.com?param1=val1&param2=val2param3=val3.

    Isn't that called a request string or is it query string? Help?

    Anyway, that thing. How long can it be?

    Brad, Apr 4, 2006
  4. Brad

    Jim Moe Guest

    Brad wrote:
    > That's what's in the address bar:
    > www.example.com?param1=val1&param2=val2param3=val3.
    >
    > Isn't that called a request string or is it query string? Help?
    > Anyway, that thing. How long can it be?

    It's called an URL, Uniform Resource Locator, with optional parameters.
    The entry field is also known as the URL bar, or navigation toolbar.
    Its length is defined by the limitations of the browser, the http
    server, and underlying OS. For instance, linux has (or once had) a command
    line length limit of 1024 characters. Other OSes range from 256 to 4096.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
    Jim Moe, Apr 4, 2006
  5. Brad

    Jim Higson Guest

    Brad wrote:

    > That's what's in the address bar:
    > www.example.com?param1=val1&param2=val2param3=val3.
    >
    > Isn't that called a request string or is it query string? Help?

    I always called the "request string" the first line of the HTTP request, ie:
    GET www.example.com?param1=val1&param2=val2param3=val3

    > Anyway, that thing. How long can it be?

    There are no limits mandated by HTTP specs. By default Apache limits it to
    8k; for it to be more you have to change compile-time arguments, but you
    can lower the limit in normal config.

    If you are trying to send a lot of data you need to use a POST, where the
    size is virtually limitless (I think Apache 2 has an absolute limit of a
    few gigs, but by default has a lower configured limit).

    I have written javascript to do this using XmlHttp request for this project:
    http://wikiwyg.org (use Firefox) which is GPL-licenced, so feel free to
    gawk at the code. It sends a url-encoded POST, so the parameters are not on
    the first line of the request.

    Jim Higson, Apr 5, 2006