Help wanted in piping in Windows

Apple Grew

I want to develope a Winboard like application which will support
Winboard protocol. For that I require to know how to handle piping in
Python. I seperated out module popen2, but when I use
fileObject.readline() then it halts the program if the sub-process is
waiting for user input; will executing the readline() part in a seperate
thread be helpful? My target platform is Windows.

Links to helpful web resources and sample Python codes will be highly
appreciated.

Regards,
Apple

Thomas Guettler

Am Fri, 24 Jun 2005 01:28:38 +0530 schrieb Apple Grew:
I want to develope a Winboard like application which will support
Winboard protocol. For that I require to know how to handle piping in
Python. I seperated out module popen2, but when I use
fileObject.readline() then it halts the program if the sub-process is
waiting for user input; will executing the readline() part in a seperate
thread be helpful? My target platform is Windows.

Links to helpful web resources and sample Python codes will be highly
appreciated.

Piping on Windows is not much different than on Unix. You
should only have *one* open file descriptor. If the subprocess
needs to read from stdin, then stdout and stderr should be
redirected to a file. Otherwise you can get deadlocks, because
the buffers have a finit size.

AFAIK ">file" and "2>file" does work on windows.

On Unix you can the module "select".

HTH,
Thomas

Peter Hansen

Thomas said:
AFAIK ">file" and "2>file" does work on windows.

Not, unfortunately (at least in the past), on Windows 98.

That might no longer matter, however. How many people are still stuck
using Windows 98? Given that in one year you won't even be able to get
support from Microsoft's update site (such as if you have to reinstall),
isn't it time to move on?

to Linux...

-Peter