    software such as PS pro or Pshop but I thought maybe some one might have
    come up with a fancy script in PHP most likely to do this.

    Dy

    News, Nov 18, 2003

  2. News wrote:
    > I want to be able to create thumb nails automatically with pictures that are
    > uploaded to my site. I know you can define a size in pixels but this only
    > means that the whole picture still has to load up.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Sure. Server-side image resizing. The results are more or less pretty,
    of course; a server is no art critic.

    > The other thing I wanted to do was actually convert different file types to
    > a .jpg file.
    > I know this is in the relms of the impossible without feeding it through
    > software such as PS pro or Pshop but I thought maybe some one might have
    > come up with a fancy script in PHP most likely to do this.

    Doesn't need anything fancy, really. See <http://ch2.php.net/image> for
    starters. There are plenty tutorials for simple image manipulation, too.

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, Nov 18, 2003

  3. News

    Chris Morris Guest

    "News" <> writes:
    > I want to be able to create thumb nails automatically with pictures that are
    > uploaded to my site. I know you can define a size in pixels but this only
    > means that the whole picture still has to load up.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > The other thing I wanted to do was actually convert different file types to
    > a .jpg file.
    > I know this is in the relms of the impossible without feeding it through
    > software such as PS pro or Pshop but I thought maybe some one might have
    > come up with a fancy script in PHP most likely to do this.

    It can be done in PHP - don't have one handy right now but it's
    definitely possible - try looking through the google archives of
    comp.lang.php or alt.php. The alternative, depending on how much
    control you have over the server, is to use something like
    ImageMagick's mogrify tool, which will do the rescaling and format
    conversion from the command line. (You could either run it using
    exec() or CGI immediately, or use a database to schedule it from cron,
    etc)

    --
    Chris

    Chris Morris, Nov 18, 2003
  4. News

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:15:13 -0000, "News" <> wrote:

    : I want to be able to create thumb nails automatically with pictures that are
    : uploaded to my site. I know you can define a size in pixels but this only
    : means that the whole picture still has to load up.
    :
    : Any ideas?

    Have a look athis new gem I found: "Freeview", from
    http://www.freshdevices.com/

    Free!!

    I also have "Express Thumbnail Creator" but this new pgm looks great!

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Nov 18, 2003
  5. News

    News Guest

    Thanks guys...
    If you happen to bump into a script could you post it me

    News, Nov 18, 2003
  6. News wrote:

    > I want to be able to create thumb nails automatically with pictures that are
    > uploaded to my site. I know you can define a size in pixels but this only
    > means that the whole picture still has to load up.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > The other thing I wanted to do was actually convert different file types to
    > a .jpg file.
    > I know this is in the relms of the impossible without feeding it through
    > software such as PS pro or Pshop but I thought maybe some one might have
    > come up with a fancy script in PHP most likely to do this.

    You're in luck, I just finished some PHP scripts to do exactly that. I
    don't have any documentation yet, and I'm sure there are some bugs, but
    you can play around with them if you like.

    I haven't decided on a license yet, for now just tell anyone you give it
    to the source code and tell them that I made it. Also, I'd like to see
    any changes you make.

    http://ecritters.biz/photoalbum.zip

    Leif K-Brooks, Nov 18, 2003
  7. News

    News Guest

    Thanks a lot.

    I will do so both when I pass it on and if I make any amendments to the
    script.

    Cheers

    Dy

    News, Nov 18, 2003