Help with an idea or if someone has allready done it...

News

I want to be able to create thumb nails automatically with pictures that are
uploaded to my site. I know you can define a size in pixels but this only
means that the whole picture still has to load up.

Any ideas?

The other thing I wanted to do was actually convert different file types to
a .jpg file.
I know this is in the relms of the impossible without feeding it through
software such as PS pro or Pshop but I thought maybe some one might have
come up with a fancy script in PHP most likely to do this.

Dy

Matthias Gutfeldt

News said:
I want to be able to create thumb nails automatically with pictures that are
uploaded to my site. I know you can define a size in pixels but this only
means that the whole picture still has to load up.

Any ideas?

Sure. Server-side image resizing. The results are more or less pretty,
of course; a server is no art critic.

The other thing I wanted to do was actually convert different file types to
a .jpg file.
I know this is in the relms of the impossible without feeding it through
software such as PS pro or Pshop but I thought maybe some one might have
come up with a fancy script in PHP most likely to do this.

Doesn't need anything fancy, really. See <http://ch2.php.net/image> for
starters. There are plenty tutorials for simple image manipulation, too.

Matthias

Chris Morris

News said:
I want to be able to create thumb nails automatically with pictures that are
uploaded to my site. I know you can define a size in pixels but this only
means that the whole picture still has to load up.

Any ideas?

The other thing I wanted to do was actually convert different file types to
a .jpg file.
I know this is in the relms of the impossible without feeding it through
software such as PS pro or Pshop but I thought maybe some one might have
come up with a fancy script in PHP most likely to do this.

It can be done in PHP - don't have one handy right now but it's
definitely possible - try looking through the google archives of
comp.lang.php or alt.php. The alternative, depending on how much
control you have over the server, is to use something like
ImageMagick's mogrify tool, which will do the rescaling and format
conversion from the command line. (You could either run it using
exec() or CGI immediately, or use a database to schedule it from cron,
etc)

Sid Ismail

: I want to be able to create thumb nails automatically with pictures that are
: uploaded to my site. I know you can define a size in pixels but this only
: means that the whole picture still has to load up.
:
: Any ideas?

Have a look athis new gem I found: "Freeview", from
http://www.freshdevices.com/

Free!!

I also have "Express Thumbnail Creator" but this new pgm looks great!

Sid

News

Thanks guys...
If you happen to bump into a script could you post it me

(e-mail address removed)

Leif K-Brooks

News said:
I want to be able to create thumb nails automatically with pictures that are
uploaded to my site. I know you can define a size in pixels but this only
means that the whole picture still has to load up.

Any ideas?

The other thing I wanted to do was actually convert different file types to
a .jpg file.
I know this is in the relms of the impossible without feeding it through
software such as PS pro or Pshop but I thought maybe some one might have
come up with a fancy script in PHP most likely to do this.

You're in luck, I just finished some PHP scripts to do exactly that. I
don't have any documentation yet, and I'm sure there are some bugs, but
you can play around with them if you like.

I haven't decided on a license yet, for now just tell anyone you give it
to the source code and tell them that I made it. Also, I'd like to see
any changes you make.

http://ecritters.biz/photoalbum.zip

News

Thanks a lot.

I will do so both when I pass it on and if I make any amendments to the
script.

Cheers

Dy

dante