    excel or do I have to creat an online one?

    Any and all suggestions would be of use.

    Many thanks to all.

    news, Nov 14, 2003

  2. news

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <s13tb.5142$>,
    says...
    > Basically I need to know how can users input data into the table and how
    > they can extract it... and with regards to the actual database can I use
    > excel or do I have to creat an online one?
    > Any and all suggestions would be of use.
    > Many thanks to all.

    Based on your question, the BEST thing for you to do would be to hire
    someone and watch what they do. If you HAVE to do it your self, then
    visit www.w3schools.com and look at their database tutorial. It will
    get you started.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Nov 14, 2003

  3. news

    George Self Guest

    news wrote:

    > I'm trying my dambed hardest to create a web page that searches through a
    > database for various bits of info and then displays the results... a bit
    > like jobsites... can any one help me on how to make this work.
    >
    > Basically I need to know how can users input data into the table and how
    > they can extract it... and with regards to the actual database can I use
    > excel or do I have to creat an online one?
    >
    > Any and all suggestions would be of use.
    >
    > Many thanks to all.

    This task is a bit beyond HTML. You'll need to work with server-side
    scripting and databases.

    I would recommend using PHP as your scripting language (though there are
    many to chose from). I found it easy to learn and quite powerful in it's
    application.

    As far as the database, you will not be able to use Excel on the Web. While
    Microsoft provides the capability to work with an Excel spreadsheet online,
    this capability is far from universally available (only recent versions of
    IE can do it) and even when possible your users could not save new data to
    the spreadsheet. I'd recommend you use a true database for your
    application: MySQL. This will give you all of the power of Access (and then
    some), but will be available for your online guests.

    You can find a lot of help for both PHP and MySQL. There are dozens of
    online tutorials for both, along with a lot of other helpful articles. You
    can also find a lot of good books in your local library or bookstore that
    will teach you how to use PHP and MySQL. In fact, your request is so
    popular that there are any number of books that cover both topics in the
    same book.

    Finally, you need to check with your Web hosting service to see what tools
    they make available to you. You will likely find that the 10M or so that
    your Internet Service Provider gives you for your personal home page
    includes no access to any sort of server-side scripting. However, most
    professional Web hosting services will provide both PHP and MySQL (though
    there are certainly exceptions). You can Google for "web host" to find one
    that provides the services you want at a reasonable price.

    I hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

    --George

    George Self, Nov 14, 2003
  4. news

    Eric Biller Guest

    Am Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:21:25 -0000 hat news <>
    geschrieben:

    > Basically I need to know how can users input data into the table and how
    > they can extract it...

    A combination of PHP and mysql will be th easiest way to do that. Or try
    ASP and any other database.

    > and with regards to the actual database can I use
    > excel or do I have to creat an online one?

    Actually excel is not a database, but often misused as one.
    The easiest way will be to have a real database as mentioned above, but
    working with text files or even excel-tables may work to, but it will
    result in a lot of coding and complex algorithms to search a file for a
    specified value, I suggest. Never did it.

    take a look at the "learning php" thread for resources how to handle php
    and try the mysql-doc at
    http://www.mysql.com/documentation/

    greets Eric

    --