Help with Dynamic Columns in Datagrid and Postback

CAK

Hi,

I'm having problems retaining my dynamic columns during postbacks.
I've read that if you create dynamic columns at runtime, you have to
add them during the page_init event. I've done that, but I'm not sure
what else I'm supposed to do to make this work properly. Basically,
I've created a search page with a bunch of criteria - when the user
clicks search, it searches for all the criteria that has been filled
in and eventually stores whether a criterion is active or not in a
view state variable, then it should go through them and add a column
if the criterion is active. I've been playing around with different
things, but nothing makes my dynamic columns stay when I try to sort
or, more importantly, when I try to pull data from the dynamic
columns. I've added the function to the page_init event that adds all
the dynamic columns, but am I supposed to rebind the grid afterwards?
I may also be mismanaging my view state variables.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions anyone can give me.

Code Follows - I tried to edit it down a bit:

<asp:datagrid id="dgdSearch" runat="server" BackColor="White"
Width="374px" Font-Names="verdana"
BorderColor="#3366CC" BorderStyle="None" Font-Size="X-Small"
AutoGenerateColumns="False" AllowPaging="True" PageSize="15"
AllowSorting="True"
CellPadding="4" BorderWidth="1px">
<SelectedItemStyle Font-Bold="True" ForeColor="#CCFF99"
BackColor="#009999"></SelectedItemStyle>
<AlternatingItemStyle BackColor="Gainsboro"></AlternatingItemStyle>
<ItemStyle ForeColor="#003399" BackColor="White"></ItemStyle>
<HeaderStyle Font-Bold="True" ForeColor="#CCCCFF"
BackColor="#003399"></HeaderStyle>
<FooterStyle ForeColor="#003399" BackColor="#99CCCC"></FooterStyle>
<Columns>
<asp:HyperLinkColumn Text="View" Target="_blank"
DataNavigateUrlField="PropertyID"
DataNavigateUrlFormatString="PropertyMain.aspx?PropertyID={0}"
DataTextField="PropertyID" SortExpression="PropertyID"
HeaderText="Property ID"></asp:HyperLinkColumn>
<asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Mark">
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:CheckBox id="chkMark" runat="server"></asp:CheckBox>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateColumn>
<asp:ButtonColumn Visible="False" Text="Delete"
CommandName="Delete"></asp:ButtonColumn>
</Columns>
<PagerStyle HorizontalAlign="Left" ForeColor="#003399"
BackColor="#99CCCC" Mode="NumericPages"></PagerStyle>
</asp:datagrid>

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Init
'CODEGEN: This method call is required by the Web Form
Designer
InitializeComponent()

Call AddDynamicColumns()

End Sub

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
txtUser.Text = Web.HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name

If Not Page.IsPostBack Then
FillDropDowns()
Me.btnAddNew.Attributes.Add("onClick",
"window.open('PropertyMain.aspx');")

' Create viewstates for the boolean variables
viewstate.Add("blnCounty", False)
viewstate.Add("blnPropertyType", False)
'** additional criteria items removed for brevity ***

End If

End Sub

Private Sub btnSearch_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e
As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSearch.Click

FillSearchDatagrid()

End Sub

Private Sub FillSearchDatagrid()

Dim lstItem As ListItem
Dim strSql As String
Dim intCount As Integer

Dim blnCounty As Boolean
Dim blnPropertyType as Boolean
'** additional criteria items removed for brevity ***

' Reset all the variables
strSQL = " WHERE 0 = 0"

' County
intCount = 0
For Each lstItem In lstCounty.Items
If lstItem.Selected Then
If Convert.ToInt32(lstItem.Value) > 0 Then
If intCount > 0 Then
strSql += " OR County = " & lstItem.Value
Else
strSql += " AND (County = " & lstItem.Value
End If
intCount = intCount + 1
blnCounty = True
End If
End If
Next
If intCount > 0 Then
strSql += ")"
End If
' Property Type
intCount = 0
For Each lstItem In lstPropertyType.Items
If lstItem.Selected Then
If Convert.ToInt32(lstItem.Value) > 0 Then
If intCount > 0 Then
strSql += " OR PropertyType = " &
lstItem.Value
Else
strSql += " AND (PropertyType = " &
lstItem.Value
End If
intCount = intCount + 1
blnPropertyType = True
End If
End If
Next
If intCount > 0 Then
strSql += ")"
End If

'*** additional criteria items removed for brevity ***

If viewstate("SearchString") Is Nothing Then
viewstate.Add("SearchString", strSql)
Else
viewstate("SearchString") = strSql
End If

Dim dsWeb As DataSet =
DAL.Properties.PropertiesSearchDataset(strSql, _
blnCounty)

'*** additional criteria items removed for brevity ***

Dim dvWeb As New DataView(dsWeb.Tables(0))

Dim strSort As String = ""

If Not viewstate("SortField") Is Nothing Then
strSort = Convert.ToString(viewstate("SortField")) &
Convert.ToString(viewstate("SortDirection"))
Else
strSort = "PropertyID"
End If

viewstate("blnCounty") = blnCounty
viewstate("blnPropertyType") = blnPropertyType
'*** additional criteria items removed for brevity ***

dvWeb.Sort = strSort
dgdSearch.DataSource = dvWeb
dgdSearch.DataKeyField = "PropertyID"
dgdSearch.DataBind()

End Sub

Private Sub dgdSearch_SortCommand(ByVal source As Object, ByVal e
As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridSortCommandEventArgs) Handles
dgdSearch.SortCommand

If dgdSearch.EditItemIndex = -1 Then
' If SortDirection viewstate doesn't exist, add it
If viewstate("SortDirection") Is Nothing Then
viewstate.Add("SortDirection", " ASC")
End If
' If SortField viewstate doesn't exist, add it
If Convert.ToString(viewstate("SortField")) Is Nothing
Then
viewstate.Add("CustomSortField", e.SortExpression)
Else
' If SortField viewstate is the same as the sort
expression, then we
' just want to change direction
If Convert.ToString(viewstate("SortField")) =
e.SortExpression Then
If Convert.ToString(viewstate("SortDirection")) =
" ASC" Then
viewstate("SortDirection") = " DESC"
Else
viewstate("SortDirection") = " ASC"
End If
Else
' SortField viewstate is different than the sort
expression, we need
' to set new sortfield
viewstate("SortField") = e.SortExpression
viewstate("SortDirection") = " ASC"
End If
End If
FillSearchDatagrid()
End If

End Sub

Private Sub dgdSearch_PageIndexChanged(ByVal source As Object,
ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridPageChangedEventArgs)
Handles dgdSearch.PageIndexChanged

If dgdSearch.EditItemIndex = -1 Then
dgdSearch.CurrentPageIndex = e.NewPageIndex
FillSearchDatagrid()
End If
End Sub

Private Sub dgdSearch_ItemDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal
e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItemEventArgs) Handles
dgdSearch.ItemDataBound

ListItemType.AlternatingItem Then
Dim webCtrl As WebControl
For Each webCtrl In e.Item.Controls
If CType(e.Item.Controls(2).Controls(0),
LinkButton).CommandName = "Delete" Then
CType(e.Item.Controls(2).Controls(0),
WebControl).Attributes.Add("onclick", "return confirm('Are you sure
you want to delete this item?');")
End If
Next
End If

End Sub

Private Sub dgdSearch_DeleteCommand(ByVal source As Object, ByVal
e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs) Handles
dgdSearch.DeleteCommand

DAL.Properties.PropertiesDelete(Convert.ToInt32(dgdSearch.DataKeys(e.Item.ItemIndex)))
FillSearchDatagrid()

End Sub

Private Sub chkAllowDelete_CheckedChanged(ByVal sender As Object,
ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles chkAllowDelete.CheckedChanged

If Me.chkAllowDelete.Checked = True Then
Me.dgdSearch.Columns(2).Visible = True
Else
Me.dgdSearch.Columns(2).Visible = False
End If
FillSearchDatagrid()

End Sub

Sub AddDynamicColumns()

Dim bndCol4 As New BoundColumn
bndCol4.HeaderText = "Property Name"
bndCol4.DataField = "PropertyName"
bndCol4.SortExpression = "PropertyName"
dgdSearch.Columns.Add(bndCol4)

If Convert.ToBoolean(viewstate("blnPropertyType")) = True Then
Dim bndCol5 As New BoundColumn
bndCol5.HeaderText = "PropertyType"
bndCol5.DataField = "DescrPropertyType"
bndCol5.SortExpression = "DescrPropertyType"
dgdSearch.Columns.Add(bndCol5)
End If

If Convert.ToBoolean(viewstate("blnCounty")) = True Then
Dim bndCol8 As New BoundColumn
bndCol8.HeaderText = "County"
bndCol8.DataField = "DescrCounty"
bndCol8.SortExpression = "DescrCounty"
dgdSearch.Columns.Add(bndCol8)
End If
'*** additional criteria items removed for brevity ***

End Sub

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

I'm wondering if Denis Bauer's DynamicControlsPlaceholder control would help
you here?

"Problem:
ASP.NET gives a developer the opportunity to programmatically add controls
to a web form using ParentControl.Controls.Add(new Control());
However, these controls are not persisted in any way thus having to be
recreated for each subsequent request.

Goal:
To create a control that behaves like a placeholder but additionally handles
recreating dynamic controls on subsequent requests."

http://www.denisbauer.com/ASPNETControls/DynamicControlsPlaceholder.aspx