Help with Java Applet please...

crab.dae

1st let me say I know very little about java, but I do understand the
basics..

Now here's my problem. I was given a website to take over last year
that has a applet that connects to an Oracle DB. That site was
running on an old Sun box with Oracle on the same box.

To make a long story short, I was tasked with rewritting all the old
perl scripts on the Unix box to coldfusion on a Windows box and now
I'm stuck.

I'm stuck because of this Java Applet. On the old box, it connected
to oracle. On this new box running windows 2003, I have to get it to
connect to MS SQL 2000. I did some reading on JDBC, but from what I
can read in the old perl code, I can't figure out how the Applet
connected to the oracle DB. I decompressed the JAR file and I stall
can't tell how it was connecting because I don't see any reference to
JDBC. I've also checked with the admin on the Windows server I'm now
on and he says he knows nothing about JDBC.

Can anyone help me? What should I be looking for in the decompressed
JAR file and is it possible I can make a connection to SQL without
JDBC?

Thanks!!

Manish Pandit

[...]

Use JAD (http://www.kpdus.com/jad.html) to decompile the code from the
jar file. Hopefully the code is not obfuscated and you can actually
see what kind of calls the applet is using to access the database.

-cheers,
Manish

crab.dae

Use JAD (http://www.kpdus.com/jad.html) to decompile the code from the
jar file. Hopefully the code is not obfuscated and you can actually
see what kind of calls the applet is using to access the database.

-cheers,
Manish

Manish,

Got a problem. I need to decompile the JAR file 1st and it seems Jad
only does .class files. Any other suggestions?

Roedy Green

Can anyone help me? What should I be looking for in the decompressed
JAR file and is it possible I can make a connection to SQL without
JDBC?

Most folks avoid letting Applets have access to the JDBC interface .
The problem is hackers can get hold of it and royally screw your
database. Normally your Applet talks to a servlet that talks to the
database for you.

That would be a major refactoring, but you seem to be in total-rewrite
mode just now.

It like to send GZipped serialised objects back and forth to the
Applet. It is very compact and allows complex data structure with no
coding effort.

Roedy Green

I'm stuck because of this Java Applet. On the old box, it connected
to oracle. On this new box running windows 2003, I have to get it to
connect to MS SQL 2000. I did some reading on JDBC, but from what I
can read in the old perl code, I can't figure out how the Applet
connected to the oracle DB. I decompressed the JAR file and I stall
can't tell how it was connecting because I don't see any reference to
JDBC. I've also checked with the admin on the Windows server I'm now
on and he says he knows nothing about JDBC.

get a packet sniffer e.g. Ethereal,
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sniffer.html
And watch the old version of your Applet talking to the sever. You
will likely discover it is doing HTTP GETs or POSTs to a perl script
on the server. Probably, they were doing the database access in Perl.