HELP with PIL and grainy text

Huuuze

I could really use some help. Please take a look at the following
image:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1346/grainynn3.png

As you can see, the text in the image is fairly grainy. To get to
that point, I converted an ArialBold TTF to a BDF using otf2bdf
(http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/ttf2bdf.html) and then I used pilfont
utility (http://www.pythonware.com/library/pil/handbook/pilfont.htm)
to convert the file into a .PIL and .PBM file. I'd expect the font to
be smooth, but no such luck.

Any idea what could be happening here?

For what it's worth, I'm using a Mac (OSX 10.5.4). Here is the PIL
code as well: