help with regex

Junkone

i have this string
a="USD.CHF.ABC"
irb(main):024:0> a.match(/^USD/)
=> #<MatchData:0x2e6be30>
irb(main):025:0> $1
=> nil

i want to use regex to see if it matches USD as first 3 characters and
here is my attmept. I am not sure why there is no match, any help is
appreciated.

yermej

i have this string
a="USD.CHF.ABC"
irb(main):024:0> a.match(/^USD/)
=> #<MatchData:0x2e6be30>
irb(main):025:0> $1
=> nil

i want to use regex to see if it matches USD as first 3 characters and
here is my attmept. I am not sure why there is no match, any help is
appreciated.

You can either assign the MatchData that match returns to a variable:
m = a.match /^USD/
m[0]

or you can use parens in your regex to capture the match into $1:

Carl

Junkone said:
i have this string
a="USD.CHF.ABC"
irb(main):024:0> a.match(/^USD/)
=> #<MatchData:0x2e6be30>
irb(main):025:0> $1
=> nil

i want to use regex to see if it matches USD as first 3 characters and
here is my attmept. I am not sure why there is no match, any help is
appreciated.

Actually, there was a match and a MatchData object was returned (which
you silently ignored).

Maybe this example will help:
IRB-> match_data = "USD.CHF.ABC".match(/^USD/)
=> #<MatchData:0x578744>
IRB-> match_data.to_a
=> ["USD"]
IRB-> match_data = "CHF.ABC.USD".match(/^USD/)
=> nil

Hope that helps.

Peña, Botp

# From: Junkone [mailto:[email protected]]=20