Help with this project.

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by sirisha, Nov 2, 2004.

  1. sirisha

    sirisha Guest

    Arithmetic operations are among the most basic instructions in
    microprocessors and many other ASICs. From SPECfp2000 benchmark, about
    15% of the floating-point ALU operations are additions and about 10%
    are subtractions. The most time consuming arithmetic operation is the
    floating-point division, then comes to the multiplication and then the
    addition/subtraction. The speed of those arithmetic operations
    directly links to the overall performance of the ALU units and so the
    computers. Since floating-point addition/subtraction units are built
    on top of integer addition/subtraction units, performance of integer
    addition/subtraction units have direct link to performance of
    floating-point units.

    In this class project, we design 2 32-bit addition/subtraction units,
    one uses straight simple ripple-carry algorithm and the other uses
    carry-looked-ahead algorithm. Our study will basically explore the
    correlations between areas, speeds, algorithms and will at least cover
    the information as listed below. All analyses will be performed based
    on both theory and measurements and explanation will be provided for
    discrepancies between the twos.
    ƒ 1)Correlation of areas and speeds for both algorithms will be
    determined
    2)The two designs will be optimized for areas and analysis on speeds
    will be performed
    3)The two designs will be optimized for speeds and analysis on areas
    will be performed
    4)Costs and speeds of a 32-bit floating-point unit if the unit is
    built based on one addition/subtraction algorithm versus the other
    will be relatively evaluated

    This project start with verilog code. I am unable to start the
    code.I need help from group.

    Thanks
    sirisha.

    sirisha, Nov 2, 2004

  2. On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 19:54 -0800, sirisha wrote:
    > Arithmetic operations are among the most basic instructions in
    > microprocessors and many other ASICs. From SPECfp2000 benchmark, about
    > 15% of the floating-point ALU operations are additions and about 10%
    > are subtractions. The most time consuming arithmetic operation is the
    > floating-point division, then comes to the multiplication and then the
    > addition/subtraction. The speed of those arithmetic operations
    > directly links to the overall performance of the ALU units and so the
    > computers. Since floating-point addition/subtraction units are built
    > on top of integer addition/subtraction units, performance of integer
    > addition/subtraction units have direct link to performance of
    > floating-point units.
    >
    > In this class project, we design 2 32-bit addition/subtraction units,
    > one uses straight simple ripple-carry algorithm and the other uses
    > carry-looked-ahead algorithm. Our study will basically explore the
    > correlations between areas, speeds, algorithms and will at least cover
    > the information as listed below. All analyses will be performed based
    > on both theory and measurements and explanation will be provided for
    > discrepancies between the twos.
    > ƒ 1)Correlation of areas and speeds for both algorithms will be
    > determined
    > 2)The two designs will be optimized for areas and analysis on speeds
    > will be performed
    > 3)The two designs will be optimized for speeds and analysis on areas
    > will be performed
    > 4)Costs and speeds of a 32-bit floating-point unit if the unit is
    > built based on one addition/subtraction algorithm versus the other
    > will be relatively evaluated
    >
    > This project start with verilog code. I am unable to start the
    > code.I need help from group.
    >
    > Thanks
    > sirisha.

    Here is some help to start the code:

    module ripple(sum, opa, opb);

    // you fill in the code here

    endmodule

    Prasanth Kumar, Nov 2, 2004

  3. sirisha

    sirisha Guest

    Prasanth Kumar <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 19:54 -0800, sirisha wrote:
    > > Arithmetic operations are among the most basic instructions in
    > > microprocessors and many other ASICs. From SPECfp2000 benchmark, about
    > > 15% of the floating-point ALU operations are additions and about 10%
    > > are subtractions. The most time consuming arithmetic operation is the
    > > floating-point division, then comes to the multiplication and then the
    > > addition/subtraction. The speed of those arithmetic operations
    > > directly links to the overall performance of the ALU units and so the
    > > computers. Since floating-point addition/subtraction units are built
    > > on top of integer addition/subtraction units, performance of integer
    > > addition/subtraction units have direct link to performance of
    > > floating-point units.
    > >
    > > In this class project, we design 2 32-bit addition/subtraction units,
    > > one uses straight simple ripple-carry algorithm and the other uses
    > > carry-looked-ahead algorithm. Our study will basically explore the
    > > correlations between areas, speeds, algorithms and will at least cover
    > > the information as listed below. All analyses will be performed based
    > > on both theory and measurements and explanation will be provided for
    > > discrepancies between the twos.
    > > ƒ 1)Correlation of areas and speeds for both algorithms will be
    > > determined
    > > 2)The two designs will be optimized for areas and analysis on speeds
    > > will be performed
    > > 3)The two designs will be optimized for speeds and analysis on areas
    > > will be performed
    > > 4)Costs and speeds of a 32-bit floating-point unit if the unit is
    > > built based on one addition/subtraction algorithm versus the other
    > > will be relatively evaluated
    > >
    > > This project start with verilog code. I am unable to start the
    > > code.I need help from group.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > sirisha.

    > Here is some help to start the code:
    >
    > module ripple(sum, opa, opb);
    >
    > // you fill in the code here
    >
    > endmodule

    can u give some more ideas of this project.difference between ripple
    and carry look ahead adders.

    thanks
    sirisha.

    sirisha, Nov 2, 2004
  4. Ralf Hildebrandt, Nov 2, 2004
  5. On 2 Nov 2004 09:46:23 -0800, (sirisha) wrote:

    >Prasanth Kumar <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 19:54 -0800, sirisha wrote:
    >> > Arithmetic operations are among the most basic instructions in
    >> > microprocessors and many other ASICs.
    >> > In this class project, we design 2 32-bit addition/subtraction units,
    >> > one uses straight simple ripple-carry algorithm and the other uses
    >> > carry-looked-ahead algorithm.

    >can u give some more ideas of this project.difference between ripple
    >and carry look ahead adders.

    Best online introduction I have found was some course notes from
    Reto Zimmermann at ETH Zurich, downloadable from this page.

    http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~zimmi/arith_lib.html

    - Brian

    Brian Drummond, Nov 4, 2004
  6. sirisha

    Vick Guest

    Sorry , if i sound rude, but this is just another posting where you
    have cut and paste the entire Project details and asking for
    solutions.

    If I am not wrong this is probably another "indian female" posting it
    who has taken this Computer Architecture course thinking it mite bost
    her GPA but now struggling with it...

    PLease do not post ur homeworks,

    Thanx

    Vick, Nov 9, 2004
  7. sirisha

    sirisha Guest

    Hi
    Vick,
    I don't want any solution of this project.Just i posted about my
    project so that i can get an idea from group.Thats it.I am not
    struggling with GPA and project.
    Such rude affected me.Don't be like that.

    Thanks for rest of them who gave ideas about this project.

    Thanks
    sirisha.

    sirisha, Nov 11, 2004