Hi..About Gsoc 2009 project ideas...

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by usw wickramasinghe, Feb 28, 2009.

    I'm an Computer Science Undergraduate who is currently undergoing training
    and engaged n the field of Open Source SOA products n development. I've
    recently done project work in the area of WS Security (WS [Web Services]
    Policy derivation from SOAP messages n some OSGI component[WSO2 Carbon
    platform] implementatons around that..) and have some knowlege on WS
    security implementations.

    Also i've recently been working on deploying Ruby
    Services on Apache Axis2 Engine using JRuby frame work..I Would really like
    to participate in a Ruby project for GSoc 2009 n would like to have some
    project ideas to be heard from Ruby people..One of the things i'm really
    interested in doing is to develop a Ruby Annotation framework
    (DSL/parser)for a given spec as ruby currently doesn't support this behavior
    very well. For my opinion this will be really important for WebServices and
    related stuff as i my self has come across difficulties in not being able
    to use a proper annotation framework as available in Java or C++. I'm still
    pretty much new to ruby n it's aspects and hence doesn't know how feasible
    this is or the scope of this n really appreciate if you all could enlighten
    me on this . Also i'm open to other project ideas as well and again
    appreciate your kind reponse. Thnx in advance..

    Thnx,
    Udayanga Shaminda Wickramasinghe
    usw wickramasinghe, Feb 28, 2009

    Just thought of asking about how the things are going on with 2009 GSoc
    project proposals for Ruby .However i'm not too sure whether this is the
    exact mail list ,where new ideas should be discussed regarding GSoc 09. If
    someone has an idea please provide me with your kind feed back. I would
    really appreciate your thoughts regarding my previous mail as well , if
    possible. Thnx in advance...

    Udayanga Wickramsinghe
    usw wickramasinghe, Mar 3, 2009

  3. usw wickramasinghe

    pat eyler Guest

    Actually, instead of posting off on the urug list, I'd still recommend
    discussing it here (or in a ruby brigade list/meeting closer to your
    home).

    On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 11:29 PM, usw wickramasinghe
    <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Thnx Roger for your kind suggestion. However Pat Eyler suggested me to po=

    st
    > my idea here when i first contacted him. Neverthless i'll post my request
    > there =A0as well. Thnx again for your feedback..
    > Regards ,
    > Udayanga

    --=20
    thanks,
    -pate
    -------------------------
    Duty makes us do things, Love make us do things well.
    http://on-ruby.blogspot.com
    http://eldersjournal.blogspot.com
    pat eyler, Mar 9, 2009
  4. usw wickramasinghe

    Roger Pack Guest

    > me on this . Also i'm open to other project ideas as well and again
    > appreciate your kind reponse. Thnx in advance..

    If you just want ideas here are a few [or anybody else can contribute
    ideas if you've thought of something once that you would put a bounty
    our for].

    1) mod_rails: integrate jruby with it somehow. Beef it up with a few of
    its most starred wish list items [1]. My own favorite would be Make
    RailsMaxPoolSize Vhost than Global :)

    2) experiment with the MRI garbage collector, see what settings are good
    with what, create getters/setters for it [2]. Could profile it with the
    Ruby Benchmark Suite [3].

    3) Try to optimize rails. I.e. look for bottlenecks and try and clear
    them up with quality LRU cacheing or prepared statements or something :p

    4) ruby 1.9 quality debugger. ruby-debug is currently only 1.8.x compat,
    I believe. I'm actually not sure if this is totally possible, but some
    parts of it are probably 1.9 compatible.

    5) "pie in the sky" psyco for ruby implement an LLVM JIT for Ruby.

    Speaking of which I wish that the Google Summer of Code people somehow
    were more transparent--like they had to post a result of their work to
    at least ruby talk or something.

    Cheers!
    -=r

    [1] http://code.google.com/p/phusion-passenger/issues/list
    [2] http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/show/1047
    [3] http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-benchmark-suite?pli=1
    Roger Pack, Mar 9, 2009
  5. Roger Pack wrote:
    >> me on this . Also i'm open to other project ideas as well and aga=

    in
    >> appreciate your kind reponse. Thnx in advance..

    >=20
    > If you just want ideas here are a few [or anybody else can contribu=

    te=20
    > ideas if you've thought of something once that you would put a boun=

    ty=20
    > our for].
    >=20
    > 1) mod_rails: integrate jruby with it somehow. Beef it up with a f=

    ew of=20
    > its most starred wish list items [1]. My own favorite would be Mak=

    e=20
    > RailsMaxPoolSize Vhost than Global :)

    This actually could be fun and easier than the Passenger to wire up f=
    or=20
    someone who knows Apache well. People have been running fast proxies =
    to=20
    JVM-based servers for a decade using plugins like mod_jk and friends.=
    It=20
    wouldn't take much effort to wire in the process management + somethi=
    ng=20
    like GlassFish gem and have it as drop-in-easy as Passenger is now.

    > 4) ruby 1.9 quality debugger. ruby-debug is currently only 1.8.x co=

    mpat,=20
    > I believe. I'm actually not sure if this is totally possible, but =

    some=20
    > parts of it are probably 1.9 compatible.

    I'd like to see someone work on a debugger that takes advantage of JR=
    uby=20
    compiling to JVM bytecode. The basic pieces are all there; all that's=
    =20
    really needed is a nice UI:

    ~/projects/jruby =E2=9E=94 cat test.rb
    puts 1
    puts 2
    puts 3

    ~/projects/jruby =E2=9E=94 jruby --jdb test.rb
    Initializing jdb ...
    > stop at test:1

    Deferring breakpoint test:1.
    It will be set after the class is loaded.
    > run

    run org.jruby.Main test.rb
    Set uncaught java.lang.Throwable
    Set deferred uncaught java.lang.Throwable

    VM Started: Set deferred breakpoint test:1

    Breakpoint hit: "thread=3Dmain", test.__file__(), line=3D1 bci=3D12
    1 puts 1

    main[1] list
    1 =3D> puts 1
    2 puts 2
    3 puts 3
    main[1]

    - Charlie
    Charles Oliver Nutter, Mar 9, 2009
  6. usw wickramasinghe

    Roger Pack Guest

    > 5) "pie in the sky" psyco for ruby implement an LLVM JIT for Ruby.

    I wonder if you could do this for Rubinius, too.
    -=r
    Roger Pack, Mar 10, 2009
  7. Roger Pack wrote:
    >> 5) "pie in the sky" psyco for ruby implement an LLVM JIT for Ruby.

    > I wonder if you could do this for Rubinius, too.

    Actually right now the closest thing to a fully functional JIT for Ruby
    is JRuby. We run almost all Ruby code and tests out there, and after
    compiling to Java bytecode the JVM takes that and turns it into native code.

    So the lesson is: if you want a native-jitting Ruby impl to run your
    apps...use JRuby :)

    - Charlie
    Charles Oliver Nutter, Mar 10, 2009
  8. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    Hi,

    Firstly i would like to thank Pat, Roger and Oliver for your kind thoughts
    on Gsoc Ideas.
    Regarding the ideas,

    i like the ideas of integrating jruby with mod_rails , and ruby 1.9
    debugger, but i need to go into more detail of the problem as i do not have
    clear cut understanding of these scenarios(especially about Phusion
    Passenger). If anyone has a JIRA link or blog post or any other link pls be
    kind enough to post here..Obviously i'll have to do some research as well as
    i'm still pretty much new to ruby and it's frameworks..

    Also i would like to know any suggestions/views on ruby annotation
    framework that i have previously mentioned.
    I don't know how exactly Gsoc ideas are being put up for Ruby.. whether do
    we have to contact Ruby Central or they'll be selecting prospective ideas
    given by ruby community. I would really appreciate if anyone could enlighten
    me on the above . Thnx again for the thoughts you have rendered.

    Best Regards
    -Udayanga
    usw wickramasinghe, Mar 11, 2009
  9. usw wickramasinghe

    Roger Pack Guest

    > i like the ideas of integrating jruby with mod_rails , and ruby 1.9
    > debugger, but i need to go into more detail of the problem as i do not
    > have
    > clear cut understanding of these scenarios(especially about Phusion
    > Passenger). If anyone has a JIRA link or blog post or any other link pls
    > be
    > kind enough to post here..Obviously i'll have to do some research as
    > well as
    > i'm still pretty much new to ruby and it's frameworks..

    here's a link to some mod_rails stuffs:
    http://code.google.com/p/phusion-passenger/issues/list

    re: 1.9 debugger not sure. Looks like it might be hard.

    what do you mean by annotation framework?

    Cheers!
    -=r

    Roger Pack, Mar 11, 2009
  10. usw wickramasinghe

    Roger Pack Guest

    > project ideas to be heard from Ruby people..One of the things i'm really
    > interested in doing is to develop a Ruby Annotation framework
    > (DSL/parser)for a given spec as ruby currently doesn't support this
    > behavior

    Another few ideas would be:

    porting java's testng to ruby [or would that be useful--I suppose
    test/unit and minitest are pretty good] :)

    porting python's process module to ruby. Perhaps using the python apr
    to get cross platform goodness.

    Thoughts?
    -=r
    Roger Pack, Mar 11, 2009
  11. usw wickramasinghe

    pat eyler Guest

    On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 9:16 PM, usw wickramasinghe
    <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I don't know how exactly =A0Gsoc ideas are being put up for Ruby.. whethe=

    r do
    > we have to contact Ruby Central or they'll be selecting prospective ideas
    > given by ruby community. I would really appreciate if anyone could enligh=

    ten
    > me on the above . Thnx again for the thoughts you have rendered.

    We'll be posting a page of ideas, but encourage students to consider
    their own ideas as well. Student proposals will be accepted through
    the GSoC web site:
    http://code.google.com/soc/
    You might want to look at the FAQ:
    http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/program/google/gsoc2009/faqs

    > Best Regards
    > -Udayanga

    --=20
    thanks,
    -pate
    -------------------------
    Don't judge those who choose to sin differently than you do

    pat eyler, Mar 11, 2009
  12. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    Thnx Roger further enlightening us with your prospective ideas for Ruby
    And Thank you Pat for the information you have mentioned , i'll constantly
    poll for new developments with the links you have provided .

    And Roger about the annotation framework ...I find it really useful for web
    services and stuff (like testng tools,etc) the presence of a proper
    annotaion framework ,as it will provide ways and means to declare some
    meta-data needed for these programmes (such as schema definitions ,test
    criterias,etc) , in the programme itself rather than going for external
    descriptors and stuff . In java we get java.lang.annotation framework (and
    various other adhoc annotation schemas ) where use of @ is extensively used
    as annotation syntax (ie:- @depricated ==> for javadoc stuff , @interface
    =>custom type declerations, etc) .

    In java you also get seperate annotation processing tools[Like Annogen] ,
    varoious annotation API's, etc to support these annotaion specifications .
    However in Ruby i didn come accross such a framework for
    specifying/processing annoations and its purely my assumption that ruby
    currently doesn't support such behavior (if i'm wrong pls some one enlighten
    me on this ) . I'm no annotaion frameworks geek , bt would really like
    suggest this as a Gsoc proposal for Ruby and willng to undertake such a
    project with a mentor who knws this stuff well..
    And thnx again for ur kind feedback..

    -Udayanga
    usw wickramasinghe, Mar 12, 2009
  13. usw wickramasinghe

    Roger Pack Guest

    > However in Ruby i didn come accross such a framework for
    > specifying/processing annoations and its purely my assumption that ruby
    > currently doesn't support such behavior (if i'm wrong pls some one
    > enlighten
    > me on this ) . I'm no annotaion frameworks geek , bt would really like
    > suggest this as a Gsoc proposal for Ruby and willng to undertake such a
    > project with a mentor who knws this stuff well..
    > And thnx again for ur kind feedback..

    'Right currently the only "blessed" annotation is that if you have
    comments justified with your first line of a method those are used for
    rdoc generation :)

    Typically to add annotations I believe you roll your own with
    method_added [1 is an example].

    Good luck!
    -=r

    [1] http://www.codecommit.com/blog/ruby/adding-type-checking-to-ruby

    re: type specifying which this link contains

    Now that I think about it, I wonder if there's a way to do some type of
    static ruby type hinting, a la duby, something like
    module M
    static_section do
    typeSig a: Numeric, b: String
    def go(a, b)
    # this can be compiled down to C or have byte code emitted for it
    or what not.
    end
    end
    end

    Then those spiffy ruby2c or JIT compilers would be helped along their
    way, I guess. Just wishing for a ruby psyco still :)
    Roger Pack, Mar 14, 2009