[Hibernate] hql - elements function

Peter Horlock

Hi,

I am using Hibernate with an xml mapping file.
Using hql, I want to retrieve all entries from the db, which match a
certain criteria.

From what I've found on the web, what I am looking for might be something
like that:
from myObject as m where ? is in elements(m.myJoinedObject.myList)

however, that did't work! :-(
In other words, I got an object, let's say a cat, which in Java has a
member, let's say it's owner, and the owner again has a list of vehicles
he/she is driving (doesn't make much sense, but who cares! ;-)
So I want to find all cat's which have an owner which does have a vehicle
I send to the hibernate function like that:

final Object[] value = new Object[3];
value[0] = myVehichle;
[...]
hibernateTemplate.findByNamedQuery(query, value);

any idea how this is done (properly)?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Jean-Baptiste Nizet

Peter Horlock a écrit :
Hi,

I am using Hibernate with an xml mapping file.
Using hql, I want to retrieve all entries from the db, which match a
certain criteria.

From what I've found on the web, what I am looking for might be something
like that:
from myObject as m where ? is in elements(m.myJoinedObject.myList)

however, that did't work! :-(
In other words, I got an object, let's say a cat, which in Java has a
member, let's say it's owner, and the owner again has a list of vehicles
he/she is driving (doesn't make much sense, but who cares! ;-)
So I want to find all cat's which have an owner which does have a vehicle
I send to the hibernate function like that:

final Object[] value = new Object[3];
value[0] = myVehichle;
[...]
hibernateTemplate.findByNamedQuery(query, value);

any idea how this is done (properly)?

select cat from Cat cat
inner join cat.owner owner
inner join owner.vehicles vehicle
where vehicle = :myVehicle

or, if you have the reverse relations

select cat from Vehicle vehicle
inner join vehicle.driver driver
inner join driver.cats cat
where vehicle = :myVehicle

JB.

Peter Horlock

Jean-Baptiste Nizet said:
select cat from Cat cat
inner join cat.owner owner
inner join owner.vehicles vehicle
where vehicle = :myVehicle

or, if you have the reverse relations

select cat from Vehicle vehicle
inner join vehicle.driver driver
inner join driver.cats cat
where vehicle = :myVehicle

Thanks for yor help, JB.

However, it didn't work for me. :-(

what does the "=:" mean anyway?

Shouldn't there be a "?" for the object
to be inserted?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Jean-Baptiste Nizet

Thanks for yor help, JB.

However, it didn't work for me. :-(

what does the "=:" mean anyway?

:myVehicle is a named placeholder. Instead of writing "where vehicle
= ?" and binding the parameter with

query.setParameter(0, myVehicle);

you may write "where vehicle = :myVehicle" and bind the parameter with

query.setParameter("myVehicle", myVehicle);

It has three advantages over anonymous placeholders (?) :
1. The query is more readable
2. If the same parameter appears multiple times in the same query, you
only have to bind it once.
3. The binding is not dependent on the order of the parameters in the
query.

JB.

Peter Horlock

:myVehicle is a named placeholder. Instead of writing "where vehicle
= ?" and binding the parameter with

query.setParameter(0, myVehicle);

you may write "where vehicle = :myVehicle" and bind the parameter with

query.setParameter("myVehicle", myVehicle);

It has three advantages over anonymous placeholders (?) :
1. The query is more readable
2. If the same parameter appears multiple times in the same query, you
only have to bind it once.
3. The binding is not dependent on the order of the parameters in the
query.

JB.
Hi JB, thanks again, very interesting, didn't know...
----
However, do you have any idea why it's not working though?
Maybe the problem is "owner.vehicles vehicle"?
cause vehicles is a list of entries, but then you use it as if
it was just one object, no idea if that makes sense?

In SQL the statment is:
select * from schema1.cat c join schema1.owner o on(c.otherid= o.id) join
schema1.NmownerVehicles n on(o.id=n.otherid) join schema2.vehicles v
on(v.id = s.otherid) where v.id=4711;

So in database world there is a table(cat) with a foreign key to another
table(owner)
with a n:m join table(owner_vehicle) which has foreign keys to the owner
and vehicle tables.

In my Hibernate mapping, the owner table has a set of vehicles:
<set name="vehicles" table="NmownerVehicles" cascade="all" lazy="false"
order-by="rolle asc">
<key column="id" />
<many-to-many column="id" not-found="ignore"
class="com.aa.bb.ccc.Vehicle" />
</set>

Jean-Baptiste Nizet

Hi JB, thanks again, very interesting, didn't know...
----

However, do you have any idea why it's not working though?
Maybe the problem is "owner.vehicles vehicle"?
cause vehicles is a list of entries, but then you use it as if
it was just one object, no idea if that makes sense?

In SQL the statment is:
select * from schema1.cat c join schema1.owner o on(c.otherid= o.id) join
schema1.NmownerVehicles n on(o.id=n.otherid) join schema2.vehicles v
on(v.id = s.otherid) where v.id=4711;

This query is not valid. "on(v.id = s.otherid)" should be "on v.id =
n.theIdPointingToTheVehicleTable".
So in database world there is a table(cat) with a foreign key to another
table(owner)
with a n:m join table(owner_vehicle) which has foreign keys to the owner
and vehicle tables.

In my Hibernate mapping, the owner table has a set of vehicles:
<set name="vehicles" table="NmownerVehicles" cascade="all" lazy="false"
                        order-by="rolle asc">
                        <key column="id" />
                        <many-to-many column="id" not-found="ignore"
class="com.aa.bb.ccc.Vehicle" />
</set>
----------

I don't use XML to write my mappings, but annotations, so I can't say
if there is a problem or not with your mapping.
But you keep saying "It's not working". If you're not more descriptive
about the problem you have, we won't be able to help you. What's the
problem ?
1. You get an exception when executing the HQL query. If it's the
case, what's the message stack trace of the exception
2. The query executes fine, but doesn't return what you expect. If
it's the case, what is in the database and what is returned? Which SQL
query is generated by Hibernate?

Peter Horlock

Jean-Baptiste Nizet said:
I don't use XML to write my mappings, but annotations, so I can't say
if there is a problem or not with your mapping.
But you keep saying "It's not working". If you're not more descriptive
about the problem you have, we won't be able to help you. What's the
problem ?
1. You get an exception when executing the HQL query. If it's the
case, what's the message stack trace of the exception

Well, so far I didn't post the exception, cause it won't tell you a lot.
Anyway, here it comes:
nested exception is org.hibernate.HibernateException: Error in named
query: myQueryName

Thanks,

Peter

Jean-Baptiste Nizet

Well, so far I didn't post the exception, cause it won't tell you a lot.
Anyway, here it comes:

Indeed, but what's the stack trace? What's the query? What's the code
of your entities?

Peter Horlock

Hi JB,

here's as much as I could gather for you,
hopefully this will help you to help me! ;-)

The business concept:
A book has one or more stories
A Story is published in one or more books
A Story has one ore more story components
A book has one ore more readers
A reader reads one or more books
-----------
What I want to get:
1. Get me all Stories read by a certain reader, of the last year, of a
certain book status which have not been set to "invalid".
2. Get me all Stories of a certain book, of the last year, of a certain
book status which have not been set to "invalid".
------------
The hibernate hql queries I got at the moment:

<query name="dwh.story.getByBookId">from Story as story join story.books
as book with book.id=? where book.status=? and story.invalid=? and
extract(year from sysdate) - extract(year from story.creation_date) = 0
order by story.creation_date desc
</query>
<query name="dwh.story.getByReaderId">from Story as story inner join
story.books as book inner join book.readers as reader with reader.readerId
= ? where book.status=? and story.invalid=? and extract(year from sysdate)
- extract(year from story.creation_date) = 0 order by story.creation_date
desc</query>

The Oracle Create Statements:

CREATE TABLE STORY (
ID NUMBER NOT NULL,
STORY_NAME VARCHAR2(128) NOT NULL,
CREATION_DATE DATE DEFAULT sysdate NOT NULL,
INVALID NUMBER(1,0) DEFAULT 0 NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY(ID)
)

CREATE TABLE BOOK (
ID NUMBER NOT NULL,
STATUS NUMBER NULL,
PUBLISHERID NUMBER NULL,
BOOKNUMBER VARCHAR2(15) NULL,
AGIOREDUZIERUNGPROZENT NUMBER NULL,
WRITTEN_ON DATE NULL,
WRITTEN_BY VARCHAR2(50) NULL,
PRINTED DATE NULL
CONSTRAINT PK_BOOK PRIMARY KEY(ID)
)
;
ALTER TABLE BOOK
ADD ( CONSTRAINT FK_BOOK_PUBLISHER
FOREIGN KEY(PUBLISHERID)
REFERENCES PUBLISHER(ID)
NOT DEFERRABLE INITIALLY IMMEDIATE VALIDATE )
;
ALTER TABLE BOOK
ADD ( CONSTRAINT FK_BOOK_BOOKSTATUS
FOREIGN KEY(STATUS)
REFERENCES BOOKSTATUS(ID)
NOT DEFERRABLE INITIALLY IMMEDIATE VALIDATE )
;

CREATE TABLE BOOK_READER (
ID NUMBER NOT NULL,
BOOKID NUMBER NOT NULL,
READER_ID NUMBER NOT NULL,
ROLE NUMBER NOT NULL,
CONSTRAINT PK_BOOK_READER PRIMARY KEY(ID)
)
;
ALTER TABLE BOOK_READER
ADD ( CONSTRAINT FK_BOOK_READER_BOOK
FOREIGN KEY(BOOKID)
REFERENCES BOOK(ID)
NOT DEFERRABLE INITIALLY IMMEDIATE VALIDATE )
;
ALTER TABLE BOOK_READER
ADD ( CONSTRAINT FK_BOOK_ROLE
FOREIGN KEY(ROLE)
REFERENCES BOOKROLE(ID)
NOT DEFERRABLE INITIALLY IMMEDIATE VALIDATE )
;

CREATE TABLE READER (
READER_ID NUMBER(10,0) NOT NULL,
FIRSTNAME VARCHAR2(50) NULL,
LASTNAME VARCHAR2(100) NULL,
STREET VARCHAR2(200) NULL,
ZIP VARCHAR2(100) NULL,
CITY VARCHAR2(200) NULL,
CONSTRAINT PK_READER PRIMARY KEY(READER_ID)
)
;

CREATE TABLE _STORY_COMPONENT (
STORY_ID NUMBER NOT NULL,
COMPONENT_NAME VARCHAR2(128) NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY(STORY_ID,COMPONENT_NAME)
)
;
ALTER TABLE _STORY_COMPONENT
ADD ( CONSTRAINT _REP_CMPNT_FK1
FOREIGN KEY(STORY_ID)
REFERENCES _STORY(ID)
NOT DEFERRABLE INITIALLY IMMEDIATE VALIDATE )
;

CREATE TABLE NM_BOOK__STORY (
ID NUMBER NOT NULL,
BOOK_ID NUMBER NOT NULL,
STORY_ID NUMBER NOT NULL
)
;

<class name="StoryComponent"
table="_STORY_COMPONENT">
<composite-id>
<key-property name="storyId" column="STORY_ID" />
<key-property name="componentName" column="COMPONENT_NAME"
type="ComponentEnumUserType" />
</composite-id>
</class>
<class name="NMBookStory"
table="NM_BOOK__STORY">
<id name="id" column="ID">
<generator class="sequence">
<param name="sequence">NM_BOOK__STORY_SEQ</param>
</generator>
</id>
<property name="storyId" column="STORY_ID" />
<property name="bookId" column="BOOK_ID" />
</class>

<class name="Story" table="_STORY">
<id name="id" column="ID">
<generator class="sequence">
<param name="sequence">STORY_SEQ</param>
</generator>
</id>
<set name="books" table="NM_BOOK__STORY" cascade="all" lazy="false"
order-by="STORY_ID asc">
<key column="STORY_ID" />
<many-to-many column="BOOK_ID" not-found="ignore"
class="Book" />
</set>
<property name="storyName" column="STORY_NAME" />
<property name="creationDate" column="CREATION_DATE"
type="java.util.Date" />
<property name="invalid" column="INVALID" />
<set name="storyComponents" inverse="true" cascade="all" lazy="false">
<key column="STORY_ID" />
<one-to-many class="StoryComponent" />
</set>
</class>

<class name="Book" table="BOOK">
<id name="id" column="id">
<generator class="sequence">
<param name="sequence">book_sequence</param>
</generator>
</id>
<property name="status" type="BookStatus" column="status" />
<many-to-one name="publisher" class="Publisher"
column="publisherid" lazy="false" />
<property name="booknumber" type="string" column="booknumber" />
<set name="readers" table="BookReaders" cascade="all" lazy="false"
order-by="role asc">
<key column="bookid" />
<many-to-many column="readerId" not-found="ignore"
class="Reader" />
</set>
<property name="writtenOn" column="WRITTEN_ON" type="java.util.Date" />
<property name="writtenBy" column="WRITTEN_BY" />

</class>

<class name="Reader" mutable="false"
table="READER" >
<id name="readerId" column="READER_ID">
<generator class="native" />
</id>
<property name="firstname" column="FIRSTNAME" />
<property name="lastname" column="LASTNAME" />
<property name="street" column="STREET" />
<property name="zipcode" column="ZIP" />
<property name="city" column="CITY" />
<many-to-one name="readerAddition"
class="ReaderAddition" column="readerId" lazy="false" />
</class>

public class Story
{
private Long id;
private Date creationDate = new Date();
private Set<Book> books;
private String storyName;
private boolean invalid;

+ other attributes, + public getters and setters, + hashCode & equals and
toString method
public class StoryComponent implements Serializable
{
private Long storyId;
private ComponentEnum componentName;

+ other attributes, + public getters and setters, + hashCode & equals and
toString method
public class NMBookStory implements Serializable
{
private long id;
private long bookId;
private long storyId;

+ other attributes, + public getters and setters, + hashCode & equals and
toString method
}
public class Book implements Serializable
{
private Long id;
private BookStatus status;
private Publisher publisher;
private String booknumber;
private Date writtenOn;
private String writtenBy;

+ other attributes, + public getters and setters, + hashCode & equals and
toString method
}
public class BookReader implements Serializable
{
private Long id;
private Long readerId;
private BookRole role;
private Long bookId;

+ other attributes, + public getters and setters, + hashCode & equals and
toString method
}
public class Reader implements Serializable
{

private Long readerId;
private ReaderZusatz readerZusatz;
private String city;
private String firstname;
private String lastname;
private String street;
private String zipcode;

+ other attributes, + public getters and setters, + hashCode & equals and
toString method
}
------------------

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Jean-Baptiste Nizet

A I said earlier, I'm not familiar with the XML syntax for Hibernate
mappings. But some things are wrong in what you sent.

There is a many-to-many relationship between books and stories.
You have two choices here

1. You use a pure join table between the two tables (with only foreign
keys, and without any ID column). In this case, Hibernate will
automatically insert new entries in the join table when you add books to
a story. The other operations on the books collection will also be
reflected in the database by Hibernate. But you must not map the join
table with a Hibernate entity (i.e. the NMBookStory class must
disappear). In this case, the join-talbe is transparent : it never
appears in hibernate queries.

2. You map this many-to-many association with two one-to-many
associations : one book has many NMBookStory instances, one story has
many NMBookStory instances, and one NMBookStory has one book and one
story. But the NMBookStory class must have a field of type Book and a
field of type Story, not IDs. In this case, the NMBookStory class is not
transparent, and you must use it in your Hibernate queries.

The query I gave you earlier assume that you chose the first solution.

For the many-to-many relationship between books and readers, it seems
that this relationship has an additional characteristic : the role. In
this case, you have no choice : you must map the join table with an
entity (that you named BookReader). But the BookReader should have a
field of type Book, and another of type Reader. Not two IDs.

In short, you must model an object model, where objects are linked
together directly. The ID of an entiy must only appear in this entity,
and not anywhere else. I really suggest you read the Hibernate manual,
because you missed some very important concepts.

I'll assume you have the following entities

public class Book {
private long id;
private Set<BookReader> bookReaders; // one-to-many, bidirectional
// ...
}

public class Story {
private long id;
private Set<Book> books; // many-to-many, unidirectional
private Set<StoryComponent> components; // one-to-many, bidirectional
// ...
}

public class Reader {
private long id;
private Set<BookReader> bookReaders; // one-to-many, bidirectional
// ...
}

public class BookReader {
private long id;
private Book book; // many-to-one, bidirectional
private Reader reader; // many-to-one, bidirectional
private int role;
// ...
}

I suggest you use a surrogate ID for your StoryComponent entity, so you
would have

public class StoryComponent {
private long id;
private Story story; // many-to-one, bidirectional
}

For your first query : "Get me all Stories read by a certain reader, of
the last year, of a certain book status which have not been set to
"invalid".

The query would look like this :
select story from Story story
inner join story.books book
inner join book.bookReaders bookReader
inner join bookReader.reader reader
where reader.id = :readerId
and book.status = :bookStatus
and story.invalid = false
and <constraint on the date>

For your second query : "Get me all Stories of a certain book, of the
last year, of a certain book status which have not been set to invalid"

The query would look like this :
select story from Story story
inner join story.books book
where book.id = :bookId
and <constraint on the date>
and book.status = :bookStatus
and story.invalid = false

JB.

Peter Horlock a écrit :

Peter Horlock

Hi JB,

thanks for your great help so far!

Now I managed to get the queries to run.
This:
For your second query : "Get me all Stories of a certain book, of the
last year, of a certain book status which have not been set to invalid"

The query would look like this :
select story from Story story
inner join story.books book
where book.id = :bookId
and <constraint on the date>
and book.status = :bookStatus
and story.invalid = false

works perfectly.

however, it seems that this one:
The query would look like this :
select story from Story story
inner join story.books book
inner join book.bookReaders bookReader
inner join bookReader.reader reader
where reader.id = :readerId
and book.status = :bookStatus
and story.invalid = false
and <constraint on the date>

does need some improvement.
What it currently does is, for every book it creates an entire
Story Object, so instead of 1 Story Object that points to 6 different
books it can be found in, I get 6 Story Objects EACH pointing to the same
6 different books.

I know I could say "distinct", but I am not sure if that's the best
way performance wise and so on, I guess it was better to change my query
in some way, so that it won't retrieve duplicate data in the first place,
and not to eliminate the duplicate data afterwards using the distinct
keyword...

Thanks in advance,

Peter