    I tried to put this in a frameset, but it didn't work.
    For any help thanks in advance,

    Markus
    Markus Mannheim, Dec 20, 2005

  2. Markus Mannheim wrote:

    > i am looking for a way to hide the original URL in a webpage.

    You can't ... at least not in any way that can't be bypassed easily (well,
    short of implementing a proxy at the original URL).

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Dec 20, 2005

  3. Markus Mannheim

    Jose Guest

    > i am looking for a way to hide the original URL in a webpage.
    > I have: www.mydomain.com On the indexpage I'd want to have a link to
    > http://mydomain.dyndns.org but when this link is selected, the URL in the
    > browser should remain www.mydomain.com.
    > I tried to put this in a frameset, but it didn't work.

    You mean, like showing www.paypal.com and leading to www.phishsite.nu?

    When the link doesn't match what I expect it will be, I take it as a
    sign of sleasy dishonesty and I don't go there. What are valid reasons
    for hiding (behind) a domain?

    Jose
    --
    You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
    Jose, Dec 20, 2005
  4. Markus Mannheim

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Markus Mannheim ... output:

    > Hi,
    >
    > i am looking for a way to hide the original URL in a webpage.
    > I have: www.mydomain.com On the indexpage I'd want to have a link to
    > http://mydomain.dyndns.org but when this link is selected, the URL in the
    > browser should remain www.mydomain.com.
    > I tried to put this in a frameset, but it didn't work.
    > For any help thanks in advance,
    >
    > Markus

    Did you try with an iFrame?

    --
    Jan

    http://www.h-tut.at
    Jan Faerber, Dec 20, 2005
  5. Markus Mannheim

    Jim Higson Guest

    Markus Mannheim wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > i am looking for a way to hide the original URL in a webpage.
    > I have: www.mydomain.com On the indexpage I'd want to have a link to
    > http://mydomain.dyndns.org but when this link is selected, the URL in the
    > browser should remain www.mydomain.com.
    > I tried to put this in a frameset, but it didn't work.
    > For any help thanks in advance,

    You can do this on any domain you control by rewriting the URLs with regular
    expressions with Apache mod rewrite.

    Of course, you need to be have (from your above example) 'www.mydomain.com',
    otherwise anyone could make their site look like it was any other site.

    Anyway, if you have a proper domain, why use a dyndns one and not just put
    everything on the real one?

    --
    Jim
    Jim Higson, Dec 21, 2005
  6. Hi to all

    "Jim Higson" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Markus Mannheim wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> i am looking for a way to hide the original URL in a webpage.
    >> I have: www.mydomain.com On the indexpage I'd want to have a link to
    >> http://mydomain.dyndns.org but when this link is selected, the URL in the
    >> browser should remain www.mydomain.com.
    >> I tried to put this in a frameset, but it didn't work.
    >> For any help thanks in advance,

    > You can do this on any domain you control by rewriting the URLs with
    > regular
    > expressions with Apache mod rewrite.
    >
    > Of course, you need to be have (from your above example)
    > 'www.mydomain.com',
    > otherwise anyone could make their site look like it was any other site.
    >
    > Anyway, if you have a proper domain, why use a dyndns one and not just put
    > everything on the real one?

    The reason was just to hide the real source of the pages.
    It's not necessaary that it is "waterproof", just to keep the look
    "professional"
    On www.mydomain.com I have just limited space, and on my own webserver
    (mydomain.dyndns.org) I can run asp scripts, more space etc....

    Thanks for the replies!

    Markus Mannheim, Dec 23, 2005
  7. Hi Jose,

    "Jose" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> i am looking for a way to hide the original URL in a webpage.
    >> I have: www.mydomain.com On the indexpage I'd want to have a link to
    >> http://mydomain.dyndns.org but when this link is selected, the URL in the
    >> browser should remain www.mydomain.com.
    >> I tried to put this in a frameset, but it didn't work.

    > You mean, like showing www.paypal.com and leading to www.phishsite.nu?
    >
    > When the link doesn't match what I expect it will be, I take it as a sign
    > of sleasy dishonesty and I don't go there. What are valid reasons for
    > hiding (behind) a domain?

    Not the reason, this assumption is wrong.

    Markus Mannheim, Dec 23, 2005
  8. Hi Jan,

    "Jan Faerber" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Markus Mannheim ... output:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> i am looking for a way to hide the original URL in a webpage.
    >> I have: www.mydomain.com On the indexpage I'd want to have a link to
    >> http://mydomain.dyndns.org but when this link is selected, the URL in the
    >> browser should remain www.mydomain.com.
    >> I tried to put this in a frameset, but it didn't work.
    >> For any help thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Markus

    > Did you try with an iFrame?

    Ok this could work.
    I'll try this.
    Thanks.

    Markus

    Markus Mannheim, Dec 23, 2005
  9. Markus Mannheim

    Jose Guest

    > Not the reason, this assumption is wrong.

    I didn't assume it for your pages, but I assume it's possible for any
    set of pages, and hidden sources need to overcome a lot of lack of trust
    in the internet.

    > On www.mydomain.com I have just limited space, and on my own webserver
    > (mydomain.dyndns.org) I can run asp scripts, more space etc....

    That's a valid reason for hosting some of the pages there. It's not a
    reason to hide that fact.

    > just to keep the look "professional"

    I see nothing unprofessional about pages having varous sources. Large
    commercial sites also do this. When this is done openly, and the link
    is =from= a page I know to be valid, I'm ok with it. But when the link
    is deceptive, it casts a sleasy light on the entire site.

    At least for those who notice.

    Jose
    --
    You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
    Jose, Dec 23, 2005
  10. Markus Mannheim

    Rob McAninch Guest

    Markus Mannheim>:

    > The reason was just to hide the real source of the pages.
    > It's not necessaary that it is "waterproof", just to keep the look
    > "professional"
    > On www.mydomain.com I have just limited space, and on my own webserver
    > (mydomain.dyndns.org) I can run asp scripts, more space etc....

    Well, my first thought would be to simply get a bigger hosting
    account. Storage space is cheap, if your bandwidth use is low you
    may be able to make a deal with some hosts to get more storage space.

    If that's out of the question, then attempt to keep all the HTML
    pages on your mydomain.com server. Store the images, css, everything
    else that gets embedded in a HTML page on the server you want to hide.

    'Invisible' frames are often frowned on since it is sometimes used
    to get extra search engine or directory listings. E.g. dmoz.org
    typically removes any framing attempts and lists the originating
    URL. This allows the management software to work more efficiently.

    --
    Rob McAninch
    http://rock13.com
    Rob McAninch, Dec 23, 2005