High Utilization ASP.NET Application - IMMEDIATE HELP!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by dm3281, Oct 13, 2006.

  1. dm3281

    dm3281 Guest

    Hello, all.

    I have 4 web servers in a farm using network load balancing service.

    All the web applications (there are about 50+ per server) are using ASP.NET
    1.1.

    I have two apppools setup with most of our apps in a custom app pool to
    recycle memory every 800MB.

    The server is running under vmware.

    We recently did an upgrade to our application software a few weeks ago and
    have had a lot of customer complaints about timeouts and junk.

    One of the things I'm not seeing is higher than normal utilization. For
    brief periods of time, I see the CPU go to 100% for 10-15 secs.

    Looking at Task Manager, I see two worker processes running and one is
    usually 55% or more which is causing the CPU to spike.

    There has to be a particualr ASP.NET application that is using more CPU than
    other ASP.NET applications. How can I monitor this on my server? I tried
    using ProcExplorer from SysInternals and do not see were it shows me
    anything more than Task Manager for this.

    Most of our ASP.NET applications are in virtual directories named...
    APPNAME1, APPNAME2, APPNAME3, APPNAME4, APPNAME5, etc. How can I
    determine if APPNAME3 is killing the CPU?

    Also, should/can I create additional apppools for each of the applications
    (maybe categorize the apps into a their own related appool) and somehow
    monitor CPU from here?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    dm3281, Oct 13, 2006

  2. User Performance monitor, counters under ASP.NET Applications category.

    Robert Haken [MVP ASP/ASP.NET]
    HAVIT, s.r.o., www.havit.cz
    http://knowledge-base.havit.cz

    Robert Haken [MVP], Oct 13, 2006

  3. this handy monitoring is left out of .net. more app pools will help narrow
    down the offending site. you could also add performance monitoring to you
    sites. log the cpu used per request. unless you set aspcompat - it will be
    an estimate due to thread switching.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\), Oct 13, 2006