How big of a static memory you can request?

Dev S Shrestha

I am having run time error trying to allocate a chunk of memory for am image
file statically. When I allocated dynamically with new statement, it worked
just fine. If anyone knows is there is a maximul limit of static memory that
I can assign.

I appreciate you consideration.

Dev

Mike Wahler

Dev S Shrestha said:
I am having run time error trying to allocate a chunk of memory for am image
file statically. When I allocated dynamically with new statement, it worked
just fine. If anyone knows is there is a maximul limit of static memory that
I can assign.

Any implementation will almost always place a finite
limit upon the amount of 'automatic' or 'static'
storage available to a program. This limit is
specific to each implementation. Many offer
a certain amount of control over this via
configuration options or 'option switches'.
Consult your documentation.

This isn't really a question about the C++ language,
but about your particular implementation of it,
which is not topical here (but you probably didn't
know that :)

Information about the nature and topic of this newsgroup
is available here:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

General information about C++ is available here:
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

HTH,
-Mike

-Mike