How big will it be on paper?

SpreadTooThin

I have an application that creates a html table from a database.
The applications window is resizable (maybe it shouldn't be).
I want the tables width to be 8.25 inches.
How do I make the tables width what I want it to be on paper when it's
printed?
(I've got some CSS to format the tables colors etc)

SpreadTooThin

I have an application that creates a html table from a database.
The applications window is resizable (maybe it shouldn't be).
I want the tables width to be 8.25 inches.
How do I make the tables width what I want it to be on paper when it's
printed?
(I've got some CSS to format the tables colors etc)

Doesn't make a table that look like its 5 1/2 inches wide...

Jukka K. Korpela

I have an application that creates a html table from a database.

Do you have a URL that demonstrates this?
The applications window is resizable (maybe it shouldn't be).

Most probably it should, unless you know e.g. the eyesight and viewing
conditions of each and every person that will ever use it.
I want the tables width to be 8.25 inches.

Stop wanting that. Problem solved. But if you really want to create that
problem instead of solving problems,

table { width: 8.25in; }
How do I make the tables width what I want it to be on paper when it's
printed?

@media print {
table { width: 8.25in; }
}
(I've got some CSS to format the tables colors etc)

(I hope you realize that people still mostly use black and white
printers for most purposes, so that all colors get mapped to black,
white, and shades of gray.)

Denis McMahon

I have an application that creates a html table from a database. The
applications window is resizable (maybe it shouldn't be). I want the
tables width to be 8.25 inches. How do I make the tables width what I
want it to be on paper when it's printed?

The person who is printing it may have different sized paper to you,
and / or may shrink to fit!

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Adrienne Boswell

SpreadTooThin said:
I have an application that creates a html table from a database.
The applications window is resizable (maybe it shouldn't be).
I want the tables width to be 8.25 inches.
How do I make the tables width what I want it to be on paper when it's
printed?
(I've got some CSS to format the tables colors etc)

Unless this is for an Intranet, and not the WWW, as others have said, you
need to understand that visitors might not be using inches, or even paper
at all (my printer hasn't work correctly in years, I print to PDF and
take it to the library if I REALLY need a hard copy).

Kristjan Robam

SpreadTooThin said:
I have an application that creates a html table from a database.
The applications window is resizable (maybe it shouldn't be).
I want the tables width to be 8.25 inches.
How do I make the tables width what I want it to be on paper when it's
printed?
(I've got some CSS to format the tables colors etc)

I belive it's quite understandable, that you can't change the size by
yourself, but have to write to the application writers about allowing to
make different width tables or something similar.

Kristjan