    How do I make the tables width what I want it to be on paper when it's
    printed?
    (I've got some CSS to format the tables colors etc)

    SpreadTooThin, Sep 21, 2011

  2. On Sep 21, 3:49 pm, SpreadTooThin <> wrote:
    > I have an application that creates a html table from a database.
    > The applications window is resizable (maybe it shouldn't be).
    > I want the tables width to be 8.25 inches.
    > How do I make the tables width what I want it to be on paper when it's
    > printed?
    > (I've got some CSS to format the tables colors etc)

    Doesn't make a table that look like its 5 1/2 inches wide...

    SpreadTooThin, Sep 21, 2011

  3. 22.9.2011 0:49, SpreadTooThin wrote:

    > I have an application that creates a html table from a database.

    Do you have a URL that demonstrates this?

    > The applications window is resizable (maybe it shouldn't be).

    Most probably it should, unless you know e.g. the eyesight and viewing
    conditions of each and every person that will ever use it.

    > I want the tables width to be 8.25 inches.

    Stop wanting that. Problem solved. But if you really want to create that
    problem instead of solving problems,

    table { width: 8.25in; }

    > How do I make the tables width what I want it to be on paper when it's
    > printed?

    @media print {
    table { width: 8.25in; }
    }

    > (I've got some CSS to format the tables colors etc)

    (I hope you realize that people still mostly use black and white
    printers for most purposes, so that all colors get mapped to black,
    white, and shades of gray.)

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 22, 2011
  4. On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 14:49:20 -0700, SpreadTooThin wrote:

    > I have an application that creates a html table from a database. The
    > applications window is resizable (maybe it shouldn't be). I want the
    > tables width to be 8.25 inches. How do I make the tables width what I
    > want it to be on paper when it's printed?

    The person who is printing it may have different sized paper to you,
    and / or may shrink to fit!

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Sep 22, 2011
  5. SpreadTooThin <> wrote

    > I have an application that creates a html table from a database.
    > The applications window is resizable (maybe it shouldn't be).
    > I want the tables width to be 8.25 inches.
    > How do I make the tables width what I want it to be on paper when it's
    > printed?
    > (I've got some CSS to format the tables colors etc)

    Unless this is for an Intranet, and not the WWW, as others have said, you
    need to understand that visitors might not be using inches, or even paper
    at all (my printer hasn't work correctly in years, I print to PDF and
    take it to the library if I REALLY need a hard copy).

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Sep 22, 2011
  6. "SpreadTooThin" <> wrote in message
    > I have an application that creates a html table from a database.
    > The applications window is resizable (maybe it shouldn't be).
    > I want the tables width to be 8.25 inches.
    > How do I make the tables width what I want it to be on paper when it's
    > printed?
    > (I've got some CSS to format the tables colors etc)

    I belive it's quite understandable, that you can't change the size by
    yourself, but have to write to the application writers about allowing to
    make different width tables or something similar.

    Kristjan

    Kristjan Robam, Jan 5, 2012