How can I debug into the Temporary ASP.NET Files folder?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Warren Tang, Sep 25, 2008.

  1. Warren Tang

    Warren Tang Guest

    Hi

    I am trying to debug the code generated for aspx files. The following
    assembly is generated for an aspx page:

    App_Web_webform1.aspx.19c0ab3f.kajnxlqq.dll!ASP.main_test_webform1_aspx.ProcessRequest(System.We...

    However when I click on the it in the Call Stack window, it says:

    There is no source code available for the current location.

    I know the location of the .cs file (in the Temporary ASP.NET Files
    folder). But how can I tell Visual Studio to use that source code file?

    Thanks.

    Regards
    Warren

    Warren Tang, Sep 25, 2008

  2. Hello Warren,

    Why do u want to debug this stuff?!
    is it your component or what?!

    ---
    WBR,
    Michael Nemtsev [Microsoft MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
    :: http://twitter.com/laflour

    Michael Nemtsev [MVP], Sep 26, 2008

  3. Warren Tang

    Warren Tang Guest

    Hi Michael

    Thanks for your reply. It's a web site of my own and I just want to know
    how ASP.NET works under the hood.

    One thing I am wondering is that, since I know where the source code is,
    why doesn't VS let me tell it the path to the code?

    Regards
    Warren

    Warren Tang, Sep 26, 2008
  4. Warren Tang

    Warren Tang Guest

    I can step into the .NET Framework code (such as System.Web,
    System.Web.UI), but the assembly compiled for an aspx page is missed out
    (though symbols loaded). VS cannot locate the source code of the
    assembly, nor does it allow me to tell it even I know it.

    Warren Tang, Sep 26, 2008
  5. Hello Warren,

    Did you set you VS to load all missed symbols?! http://blogs.msdn.com/sburke/archiv...tudio-to-debug-net-framework-source-code.aspx

    ---

    Michael Nemtsev [MVP], Sep 26, 2008
  6. Warren Tang

    Warren Tang Guest

    I've read that article before. I can make sure that all symbols are
    loaded successfully.

    To repro this,
    1. add a line in the Page_Load; set a break point on it; Press F5;
    2. When the vs debugger breaks, select the following assembly from
    call stack window:

    App_Web_webform1.aspx.19c0ab3f.kajnxlqq.dll!ASP.main_test_webform1_aspx.ProcessRequest(System.We..

    3. Double click on it, and the error pops up:

    Warren Tang, Sep 27, 2008