how can i debug this ?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by toffee, Nov 29, 2006.

  1. toffee

    toffee Guest

    Hi all,

    I get an script error warning from IE and am not sure how to debug. I've got
    3 external js file which i linked in my <head>

    The error warning msg is:
    "Problems with this webpage might prevent it from being displayed properly
    or functioning properly.
    Line: 18
    Char: 16
    Error: Syntax Error
    Code: 0

    I looked at line 18 of my php page but there is no JS code there and i
    suspect this a js issue.
    Anyone know how i can find out where is this line 18 thats causing problems
    ?

    Many thanks

    toffee, Nov 29, 2006

  2. toffee

    Ivan Marsh Guest

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:05:01 +0000, toffee wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I get an script error warning from IE and am not sure how to debug. I've
    > got 3 external js file which i linked in my <head>
    >
    > The error warning msg is:
    > "Problems with this webpage might prevent it from being displayed
    > properly or functioning properly.
    > Line: 18
    > Char: 16
    > Error: Syntax Error
    > Code: 0
    >
    > I looked at line 18 of my php page but there is no JS code there and i
    > suspect this a js issue.
    > Anyone know how i can find out where is this line 18 thats causing
    > problems

    The script debugger in IE is referring to the 18th line of javascript code
    downloaded into the browser, ignoring all other languages and html... it's
    completely useless.

    You can download the Windows script debugger and it will actually let you
    find the offending line of code.

    Ivan Marsh, Nov 29, 2006

  3. toffee

    Evertjan. Guest

    Ivan Marsh wrote on 29 nov 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:05:01 +0000, toffee wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I get an script error warning from IE and am not sure how to debug.
    >> I've got 3 external js file which i linked in my <head>
    >>
    >> The error warning msg is:
    >> "Problems with this webpage might prevent it from being displayed
    >> properly or functioning properly.
    >> Line: 18
    >> Char: 16
    >> Error: Syntax Error
    >> Code: 0
    >>
    >> I looked at line 18 of my php page but there is no JS code there and
    >> i suspect this a js issue.
    >> Anyone know how i can find out where is this line 18 thats causing
    >> problems

    > The script debugger in IE is referring to the 18th line of javascript
    > code downloaded into the browser, ignoring all other languages and
    > html... it's completely useless.

    Not at all.

    If it is a javascript error, see the viewsouced page.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Nov 29, 2006
  4. toffee

    Ivan Marsh Guest

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:06:23 +0000, Evertjan. wrote:

    > Ivan Marsh wrote on 29 nov 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
    >
    >> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:05:01 +0000, toffee wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I get an script error warning from IE and am not sure how to debug.
    >>> I've got 3 external js file which i linked in my <head>
    >>>
    >>> The error warning msg is:
    >>> "Problems with this webpage might prevent it from being displayed
    >>> properly or functioning properly.
    >>> Line: 18
    >>> Char: 16
    >>> Error: Syntax Error
    >>> Code: 0
    >>>
    >>> I looked at line 18 of my php page but there is no JS code there and i
    >>> suspect this a js issue.
    >>> Anyone know how i can find out where is this line 18 thats causing
    >>> problems

    >> The script debugger in IE is referring to the 18th line of javascript
    >> code downloaded into the browser, ignoring all other languages and
    >> html... it's completely useless.

    > Not at all.
    >
    > If it is a javascript error, see the viewsouced page.

    Which will show you line 18 of the source page, not the 18th line of
    javascript.

    Ivan Marsh, Nov 29, 2006
  5. toffee

    toffee Guest

    I did try view source but line 18 was html

    Ivan - you were spot on; i downloaded MS script debugger; and after i loaded
    the page; it told me which of the external scripts and what line was causing
    the offence.

    thanks all

    toffee, Nov 29, 2006
  6. Randy Webb a écrit :
    > Ivan Marsh said the following on 11/29/2006 5:32 PM:

    >>> Not at all.
    >>>
    >>> If it is a javascript error, see the viewsouced page.

    >> Which will show you line 18 of the source page, not the 18th line of
    >> javascript.

    > And IE - typically - counts from the DTD tag to the offending line of
    > code. It counts external file lines as if it were included in the page
    > source itself instead of as an external file. Take the contents of the
    > three .js files, put them in the code, save the file locally, test it,
    > and debug it.

    Hi,

    You can also try Companion.JS
    (http://www.ieforge.com/CompanionJS/HomePage) which gives you the sam
    info as the script debugger but is integrated into IE.

    --
    Regards / Cordialement

    Jean-Fabrice Rabaute
    CORE SERVICES :: Software/Web development & Consulting services

    http://www.debugbar.com : The most advanced WEB development tool for
    Internet Explorer
    http://www.core-services.fr - {Enjoy the future today}

    Jean-Fabrice RABAUTE, Nov 30, 2006