how can i debug this ?

toffee

Hi all,

I get an script error warning from IE and am not sure how to debug. I've got
3 external js file which i linked in my <head>

The error warning msg is:
"Problems with this webpage might prevent it from being displayed properly
or functioning properly.
Line: 18
Char: 16
Error: Syntax Error
Code: 0

I looked at line 18 of my php page but there is no JS code there and i
suspect this a js issue.
Anyone know how i can find out where is this line 18 thats causing problems
?

Many thanks

Ivan Marsh

Hi all,

I get an script error warning from IE and am not sure how to debug. I've
got 3 external js file which i linked in my <head>

The error warning msg is:
"Problems with this webpage might prevent it from being displayed
properly or functioning properly.
Line: 18
Char: 16
Error: Syntax Error
Code: 0

I looked at line 18 of my php page but there is no JS code there and i
suspect this a js issue.
Anyone know how i can find out where is this line 18 thats causing
problems

The script debugger in IE is referring to the 18th line of javascript code
downloaded into the browser, ignoring all other languages and html... it's
completely useless.

You can download the Windows script debugger and it will actually let you
find the offending line of code.

Evertjan.

Ivan Marsh wrote on 29 nov 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
The script debugger in IE is referring to the 18th line of javascript
code downloaded into the browser, ignoring all other languages and
html... it's completely useless.

Not at all.

If it is a javascript error, see the viewsouced page.

Ivan Marsh

Ivan Marsh wrote on 29 nov 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:

Not at all.

If it is a javascript error, see the viewsouced page.

Which will show you line 18 of the source page, not the 18th line of
javascript.

toffee

I did try view source but line 18 was html

Ivan - you were spot on; i downloaded MS script debugger; and after i loaded
the page; it told me which of the external scripts and what line was causing
the offence.

thanks all

Jean-Fabrice RABAUTE

Randy Webb a écrit :
Ivan Marsh said the following on 11/29/2006 5:32 PM:

And IE - typically - counts from the DTD tag to the offending line of
code. It counts external file lines as if it were included in the page
source itself instead of as an external file. Take the contents of the
three .js files, put them in the code, save the file locally, test it,
and debug it.

Hi,

You can also try Companion.JS
(http://www.ieforge.com/CompanionJS/HomePage) which gives you the sam
info as the script debugger but is integrated into IE.

--
Regards / Cordialement

Jean-Fabrice Rabaute
CORE SERVICES :: Software/Web development & Consulting services

http://www.debugbar.com : The most advanced WEB development tool for
Internet Explorer
http://www.core-services.fr - {Enjoy the future today}