How can I distribute the application the I created using Visual C++

Salman

I would like to know how I can distribute the application that I
create with Visual C++ express edition. I checked the menu options to
find a deploy option similar to the one found on the Visual Basic
Express Edition but could not find one. I have even searched the help
files and could not find anything useful for me. I want to simply
package my application so that I may install it on another computer.

Ian Collins

Salman said:
I would like to know how I can distribute the application that I
create with Visual C++ express edition. I checked the menu options to
find a deploy option similar to the one found on the Visual Basic
Express Edition but could not find one. I have even searched the help
files and could not find anything useful for me. I want to simply
package my application so that I may install it on another computer.
You'd do better by asking on a VC++ specific group.

Victor Bazarov

Salman said:
I would like to know how I can distribute the application that I
create with Visual C++ express edition. I checked the menu options to
find a deploy option similar to the one found on the Visual Basic
Express Edition but could not find one. I have even searched the help
files and could not find anything useful for me. I want to simply
package my application so that I may install it on another computer.

Your question is unfortunately off-topic here. All Visual C++ specific
inquiries belong to 'microsoft.public.vc.*' hierarchy of newsgroups.

Salman

Your question is unfortunately off-topic here. All Visual C++ specific
inquiries belong to 'microsoft.public.vc.*' hierarchy of newsgroups.

sorry guys i didnt notice.

James Kanze

Your question is unfortunately off-topic here. All Visual C++ specific
inquiries belong to 'microsoft.public.vc.*' hierarchy of newsgroups.

Sort of, but...

Isn't it possible that he doesn't understand the difference
between C++ and an interpreted language a la Basic? As far as I
know, you deploy a C++ program developped with VC++ just as you
would deploy one developped with any other compiler: you copy
the executable to whatever machine its meant to run on. There's
no special action required. (Obviously, the problem becomes
more complicated if you are using dynamically loaded objects, or
a cross compiler. But the basic principle remains: you copy the
necessary files to wherever.)

Victor Bazarov

James said:
Sort of, but...

Isn't it possible that he doesn't understand the difference
between C++ and an interpreted language a la Basic? As far as I
know, you deploy a C++ program developped with VC++ just as you
would deploy one developped with any other compiler: you copy
the executable to whatever machine its meant to run on. There's
no special action required. (Obviously, the problem becomes
more complicated if you are using dynamically loaded objects, or
a cross compiler. But the basic principle remains: you copy the
necessary files to wherever.)

I don't believe the definition of "deployment" is present under "C++
language", that's why I am not sure I understand your "but". [Also,
many programs written in Basic might actually be deployed by copying
the executable(s), so there is no essential difference between C++
and Basic as far as deployment is concerned.] Here is what his
question most likely is: "what other than my own files do I need to
put into the deployment package, and what tools exist to create the
package so that the user will need to exert minimal effort to install
it?" The answers to those are not here.

James Kanze

I don't believe the definition of "deployment" is present under "C++
language", that's why I am not sure I understand your "but".

Are you saying that deployment can't be done in or with C++?
That the concept is foreign to C++, and that it isn't supported
by C++.

The general rule has always been: if the answer would be the
same for most languages, but different between platforms: off
topic. If the answer would be the same for most platforms, but
different depending on the language, on topic. Rather
obviously, the original poster has encountered something
different between C++ and Basic. And I deploy C++ programs in
exactly the same manner under Windows, Linux and Solaris.

Don't be led astray by the fact that question mentions Visual
C++, and asks about a button. The answer is that C++ (as it is
usually implemented) doesn't require anything special for
deployment. Typically, Java and Basic do. The answer depends
on the programming language. (Although it is more general: C,
Pascal, Ada and Fortran also typically don't need any such
functionality. Cobol varies, and I've encountered both
situations.)
[Also,
many programs written in Basic might actually be deployed by copying
the executable(s), so there is no essential difference between C++
and Basic as far as deployment is concerned.

Might be---I know that compiled Basic's exist. But it's often
not the case, and apparently not the case here.
] Here is what his
question most likely is: "what other than my own files do I need to
put into the deployment package, and what tools exist to create the
package so that the user will need to exert minimal effort to install
it?"

The question was explicitly about a menu option which was
missing. And the answer is that the way C++ normally works, the
corresponding functionality is not needed. The answer is in the
difference in the way C++ and Basic are normally implemented.