    Express Edition but could not find one. I have even searched the help
    files and could not find anything useful for me. I want to simply
    package my application so that I may install it on another computer.
    Salman, Apr 18, 2007

  2. Salman

    Ian Collins Guest

    Re: How can I distribute the application the I created using VisualC++

    Salman wrote:
    > I would like to know how I can distribute the application that I
    > create with Visual C++ express edition. I checked the menu options to
    > find a deploy option similar to the one found on the Visual Basic
    > Express Edition but could not find one. I have even searched the help
    > files and could not find anything useful for me. I want to simply
    > package my application so that I may install it on another computer.

    You'd do better by asking on a VC++ specific group.

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Apr 18, 2007

  3. Salman wrote:
    > I would like to know how I can distribute the application that I
    > create with Visual C++ express edition. I checked the menu options to
    > find a deploy option similar to the one found on the Visual Basic
    > Express Edition but could not find one. I have even searched the help
    > files and could not find anything useful for me. I want to simply
    > package my application so that I may install it on another computer.

    Your question is unfortunately off-topic here. All Visual C++ specific
    inquiries belong to 'microsoft.public.vc.*' hierarchy of newsgroups.

    Victor Bazarov, Apr 18, 2007
  4. Salman

    Salman Guest

    On Apr 18, 4:15 am, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:
    > Salman wrote:
    > > I would like to know how I can distribute the application that I
    > > create with Visual C++ express edition. I checked the menu options to
    > > find a deploy option similar to the one found on the Visual Basic
    > > Express Edition but could not find one. I have even searched the help
    > > files and could not find anything useful for me. I want to simply
    > > package my application so that I may install it on another computer.

    > Your question is unfortunately off-topic here. All Visual C++ specific
    > inquiries belong to 'microsoft.public.vc.*' hierarchy of newsgroups.

    sorry guys i didnt notice.
    Salman, Apr 18, 2007
  5. Salman

    James Kanze Guest

    On Apr 18, 1:15 am, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:
    > Salman wrote:
    > > I would like to know how I can distribute the application that I
    > > create with Visual C++ express edition. I checked the menu options to
    > > find a deploy option similar to the one found on the Visual Basic
    > > Express Edition but could not find one. I have even searched the help
    > > files and could not find anything useful for me. I want to simply
    > > package my application so that I may install it on another computer.

    > Your question is unfortunately off-topic here. All Visual C++ specific
    > inquiries belong to 'microsoft.public.vc.*' hierarchy of newsgroups.

    Sort of, but...

    Isn't it possible that he doesn't understand the difference
    between C++ and an interpreted language a la Basic? As far as I
    know, you deploy a C++ program developped with VC++ just as you
    would deploy one developped with any other compiler: you copy
    the executable to whatever machine its meant to run on. There's
    no special action required. (Obviously, the problem becomes
    more complicated if you are using dynamically loaded objects, or
    a cross compiler. But the basic principle remains: you copy the
    necessary files to wherever.)

    --
    James Kanze (GABI Software) email:
    James Kanze, Apr 18, 2007
  6. James Kanze wrote:
    > On Apr 18, 1:15 am, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:
    >> Salman wrote:
    >>> I would like to know how I can distribute the application that I
    >>> create with Visual C++ express edition. I checked the menu options
    >>> to find a deploy option similar to the one found on the Visual Basic
    >>> Express Edition but could not find one. I have even searched the
    >>> help files and could not find anything useful for me. I want to
    >>> simply package my application so that I may install it on another
    >>> computer.

    >> Your question is unfortunately off-topic here. All Visual C++
    >> specific inquiries belong to 'microsoft.public.vc.*' hierarchy of
    >> newsgroups.

    > Sort of, but...
    >
    > Isn't it possible that he doesn't understand the difference
    > between C++ and an interpreted language a la Basic? As far as I
    > know, you deploy a C++ program developped with VC++ just as you
    > would deploy one developped with any other compiler: you copy
    > the executable to whatever machine its meant to run on. There's
    > no special action required. (Obviously, the problem becomes
    > more complicated if you are using dynamically loaded objects, or
    > a cross compiler. But the basic principle remains: you copy the
    > necessary files to wherever.)

    I don't believe the definition of "deployment" is present under "C++
    language", that's why I am not sure I understand your "but". [Also,
    many programs written in Basic might actually be deployed by copying
    the executable(s), so there is no essential difference between C++
    and Basic as far as deployment is concerned.] Here is what his
    question most likely is: "what other than my own files do I need to
    put into the deployment package, and what tools exist to create the
    package so that the user will need to exert minimal effort to install
    it?" The answers to those are not here.

    Victor Bazarov, Apr 18, 2007
  7. Salman

    James Kanze Guest

    Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > James Kanze wrote:

    > >> Your question is unfortunately off-topic here. All Visual C++
    > >> specific inquiries belong to 'microsoft.public.vc.*' hierarchy of
    > >> newsgroups.

    > > Sort of, but...

    > > Isn't it possible that he doesn't understand the difference
    > > between C++ and an interpreted language a la Basic? As far as I
    > > know, you deploy a C++ program developped with VC++ just as you
    > > would deploy one developped with any other compiler: you copy
    > > the executable to whatever machine its meant to run on. There's
    > > no special action required. (Obviously, the problem becomes
    > > more complicated if you are using dynamically loaded objects, or
    > > a cross compiler. But the basic principle remains: you copy the
    > > necessary files to wherever.)

    > I don't believe the definition of "deployment" is present under "C++
    > language", that's why I am not sure I understand your "but".

    Are you saying that deployment can't be done in or with C++?
    That the concept is foreign to C++, and that it isn't supported
    by C++.

    The general rule has always been: if the answer would be the
    same for most languages, but different between platforms: off
    topic. If the answer would be the same for most platforms, but
    different depending on the language, on topic. Rather
    obviously, the original poster has encountered something
    different between C++ and Basic. And I deploy C++ programs in
    exactly the same manner under Windows, Linux and Solaris.

    Don't be led astray by the fact that question mentions Visual
    C++, and asks about a button. The answer is that C++ (as it is
    usually implemented) doesn't require anything special for
    deployment. Typically, Java and Basic do. The answer depends
    on the programming language. (Although it is more general: C,
    Pascal, Ada and Fortran also typically don't need any such
    functionality. Cobol varies, and I've encountered both
    situations.)

    > [Also,
    > many programs written in Basic might actually be deployed by copying
    > the executable(s), so there is no essential difference between C++
    > and Basic as far as deployment is concerned.

    Might be---I know that compiled Basic's exist. But it's often
    not the case, and apparently not the case here.

    > ] Here is what his
    > question most likely is: "what other than my own files do I need to
    > put into the deployment package, and what tools exist to create the
    > package so that the user will need to exert minimal effort to install
    > it?"

    The question was explicitly about a menu option which was
    missing. And the answer is that the way C++ normally works, the
    corresponding functionality is not needed. The answer is in the
    difference in the way C++ and Basic are normally implemented.

    --
    James Kanze (GABI Software) email:
    James Kanze, Apr 19, 2007