    anything in the eventlog. Could anyone tell me how to get the memory dump
    for troubleshooting? Or any solutions?

    Wei Lu

    Wei Lu, Feb 12, 2009

  2. Wei  Lu

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Wei Lu wrote:
    > I publish a web project on my IIS Server. But sometime, it hangs.
    > Everytime, I recycled the Application Pool, it works again. And I
    > could not find anything in the eventlog. Could anyone tell me how to
    > get the memory dump for troubleshooting? Or any solutions?
    >

    > Wei Lu

    recommended practice) , but this is a classic (COM-based) asp newsgroup.
    ASP.Net bears very little resemblance to classic ASP so, while you may be
    lucky enough to find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who can answer your
    question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a
    group where those dotnet-knowledgeable people hang out. I suggest

    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows, Feb 12, 2009

  3. Hi Wei,

    My name is Allen Chen. It's my pleasure to work with you on this issue.

    To troubleshoot IIS hang issue you can use Debug Diagnostics 1.1:

    http://www.iis.net/downloads/default.aspx?tabid=34&g=6&i=1286

    From its documentation you can learn how to Troubleshooting Hangs with
    DebugDiag. You can set up a Hang Rule to monitor the w3wp process and
    create a hang dump by reproducing the hang.

    After you get the dump you can use the analysis tool of the DebugDiag to
    analyse the dump. Please try following steps to do so:

    1. Run DebugDiag. Click "Advanced Analysis" tab.
    2. Click "Add Data Files" at the bottom to add the dump file.
    3. Double click "Crash/Hang Analyzers" category.
    4. View the analysis report. It can give you clues as to what might be the
    cause of the hang.

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    .

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Feb 12, 2009
  4. Wei  Lu

    Steven Cheng Guest

    Hi Wei,

    For general hang troubleshooting, if you're sure the certain process get
    hang, you can use ADPLUS for hang dump capture:

    #How to use ADPlus to troubleshoot "hangs" and "crashes"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286350

    If the web application is ASP.NET, here are some useful information for
    ASP.NET hang troubleshooting or windbg based debugging:

    #ASP.NET Tips: What to gather to troubleshoot ?part 1 ?High CPU or Hang
    http://blogs.msdn.com/tom/archive/2008/05/02/asp-net-tips-what-to-gather-to-
    troubleshoot-part-1-high-cpu.aspx

    #Troubleshooting ASP.NET using WinDbg and the SOS extension
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892277

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng, Feb 13, 2009
  5. Wei  Lu

    Evertjan. Guest

    "Steven Cheng" wrote on 13 feb 2009 in

    ---> RE: How can I get the dump for troubleshooting my asp.net code?

    > Hi Wei,
    >
    > For general hang troubleshooting, if you're sure the certain process
    > get hang, you can use ADPLUS for hang dump capture:
    >
    >#How to use ADPlus to troubleshoot "hangs" and "crashes"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286350
    >
    > If the web application is ASP.NET, here are some useful information
    > for ASP.NET hang troubleshooting or windbg based debugging:

    [.............]
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Steven Cheng
    >
    > Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    Doubtlesssly sincere, Steven, but the wrong answer for this NG.

    The answer should be:

    This is a classic asp group.

    Dotnet questions should be asked in [par example]
    <microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet>

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Feb 13, 2009
  6. Wei  Lu

    Steven Cheng Guest

    Hi Evertjan,

    Thanks for your remind:)

    Yes, I should have mentioned that first and
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet is the best one for ASP.NET
    managed web application issues.

    Steven Cheng, Feb 13, 2009
  7. Wei  Lu

    Wei Lu Guest

    Thanks for your answer, Steven.

    I will ask the question at the aspnet newsgroup next time.

    Wei Lu

    Wei Lu, Feb 15, 2009