how can I interpret a file within the interactive interpreter

Peter J. Bismuti

I want to interpret a file (or whatever you call it) and then keep the
interactive interpreter alive so I can then continue to issue commands.

How can this be done? I saw online a -m flag but it does not seem to work.

Thanks

Diez B. Roggisch

Peter said:
I want to interpret a file (or whatever you call it) and then keep the
interactive interpreter alive so I can then continue to issue commands.

How can this be done? I saw online a -m flag but it does not seem to
work.

Use the -i-flag.

Diez

Peter Otten

Peter said:
I want to interpret a file (or whatever you call it) and then keep the
interactive interpreter alive so I can then continue to issue commands.

That's what the -i option is for.
How can this be done? I saw online a -m flag but it does not seem to work.

-m is used to load a module via python's import mechanism.

$ echo 'print "Hello from", __name__' > tmp.py

$ python -m tmp
Hello from __main__

$ python -i tmp.py
Hello from __main__
You can combine both options:

$ python -i -m tmp
Hello from __main__
Peter

Peter J. Bismuti

Still can't get the -m flat to work. Perhaps this feature is not in the
version I am using? Thanks.

-bash-3.00$ python -m test
Unknown option: -m
usage: python [option] ... [-c cmd | file | -] [arg] ...
Try `python -h' for more information.

-bash-3.00$ python
Python 2.3.4 (#1, Jan 9 2007, 16:40:09)

--

Peter Bismuti
Boeing Information Technology

Diez B. Roggisch

Peter said:
Still can't get the -m flat to work. Perhaps this feature is not in the
version I am using? Thanks.

-m isn't the option you want. -i it is. And yes, -m appeared in later python
versions - I'm not exactly sure which one grew it, might be 2.3 or even
2.4. But -i is older.

Diez