How can I : "oh look there's a new email - do something"

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Rob Meade, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    Hi all...this might not be a 100% asp question - but the app I'm writing
    around it will be :eek:)

    I guess I need a component or something that will happily run in the
    background scanning the incoming mail directory - upon a new email arriving
    I want something to happen.

    This is for a small 'helpdesk' app - I am happy to have a pop at writing the
    component myself, but wasn't sure the best way...presumably I would need to
    be scanning the C:\Inetpub\mailroot\Mailbox\<--mail box name--> directory on
    the server for a new file - I could achieve this I suppose by using a
    database to record whats currently there, then every 5 minutes or so scan it
    again and compare to the database...

    Anyone done anything similiar in the past? I think I would like to write the
    component myself to just get it to do exactly what I need - does the
    'theory' above sound ok or are there other ways...

    Ideally I want to be able to determine if a ticket number is in the email
    header and then write a new row to a database and send an email or
    something...

    Any info appreciated,

    Regards

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Apr 24, 2004

  2. Why do you think this should be a component? Sounds like it should be an
    application scheduled with Windows scheduler...

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Apr 24, 2004

  3. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    "Aaron Bertrand [MVP]" wrote ...

    > Why do you think this should be a component? Sounds like it should be an
    > application scheduled with Windows scheduler...

    Hi Aaron,

    Just assumed to be honest, because there appearing to be so very many 'mail'
    components around I guessed that this is what I'd need...

    As it happens I have written a windows service in .net which is about half
    way to doing what I want..its checking the mailbox, currently writing to the
    event log, and I'm now trying to get it to dump some data to SQL server -
    this is where I'm getting an error at the moment...

    Has been an interesting ride - but its taken a while!

    Regards

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Apr 25, 2004
  4. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    "Rob Meade" wrote ...

    > and I'm now trying to get it to dump some data to SQL server -
    > this is where I'm getting an error at the moment...

    but is now working - yay :eek:)

    Rob Meade, Apr 25, 2004