How can I run ASP.NET 2.0 on a server?

Nate Hekman

I've installed Visual Web Developer 2005 Express and am having fun with
ASP.NET 2.0 on my own machine. I'd like to put my web apps on a server
instead of my development machine, to test things like deployment and so
others in my office can see what I'm doing. What do I need installed on the
server to do that? I'll have to install .NET 2.0 of course. Do I also need
a new version of IIS? Or does ASP.NET 2.0 ship on its own to install on an
old version of IIS?

Thanks.

Nate Hekman

Tee

Hi Nate,

The IIS is the same, the main is the .NET Framework 2.0.
It works the same as 1.1 actually, just have the needed files there and it
will work.

But keep in mind that after you install .NET Framework 2.0, it will change
your websites setting in IIS to use ASP .NET 2.0.
You will need to manually set them to .NET 1.1 if the websites hosted are
coded in ASP .NET 1.1.

Actually it works pretty good, but still keep in mind it's a beta and the
blah blah blah about beta use on production server. :)

Tee

I've installed Visual Web Developer 2005 Express and am having fun with
ASP.NET 2.0 on my own machine. I'd like to put my web apps on a server
instead of my development machine, to test things like deployment and so
others in my office can see what I'm doing. What do I need installed on the
server to do that? I'll have to install .NET 2.0 of course. Do I also need
a new version of IIS? Or does ASP.NET 2.0 ship on its own to install on an
old version of IIS?

Thanks.

Nate Hekman

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Nate,

When you install the .NET Framework 2.0 beta it will set itself up on the
existing IIS. However, be careful because it may try to configure existing
Web applications to use 2.0.