How can I see the raw data being sent to my webservice?

Mike Lopez

Hello.

I want to examine the raw "data/document" that is sent to my webservice.

How do I go about it? I'm using Visual Studio 2003 and .Net Framework 1.1.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Christoph Schittko [MVP]

You can redirect the traffic to an intermediate trace tool such as tcpTrace
[0]. If you control client and service, then simply start the trace tool to
listen at port 8080 and change the URL of the service in the client.

If you don't control the client, then you could have IIS listen on port 8080
and start the trace tool on port 80 and forward to 8080.

Finally, you could add a trace SoapExtension to your web service that doest
tracing for you. Mike Taulty has one for WSE
(http://mtaulty.com/blog/archive/2005/01/10/1321.aspx)

HTH,
Christoph Schittko
MVP XML
http://weblogs.asp.net/cschittko

[0] http://www.pocketsoap.com/tcptrace

Mike Lopez

Thank you, Chris.

Mike Lopez said:
Hello.

I want to examine the raw "data/document" that is sent to my webservice.

How do I go about it? I'm using Visual Studio 2003 and .Net Framework
1.1.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Dan Rogers

The built in tracing tool (http/yoururl/yourserviceroot/trace.axd) is a
good start. Then add in a web service extension that does tracing
(avaliable on gotdotnet.com) and you'll see the entire packet/response in
the built in trace stream.