How can u connect to 1 of several dbs based on selection user makes when accessing main page

hourman

We have a web site IIS 5 (on Win2000k) with Oracle 9i backend (Sun unix).

There is 1 user ID to oracle(APT_W3) that is used by all users (50).

We have a global.asa file that has one APP Start connection string using OLE
DB:
Application("dbConnString")="Provider=MSDAORA.1;Password='SDERSD';User
ID=APT_W3;Data Source=CCEWSDD1_new;Locale Identifier=1033;OLE DB services=-1"

The first page that a user sees asks that they select the area they want to
see (western, northern, etc) from a dropdown menu. Once they select it and
hit save they can go to other pages, session varibles indicating what area
they selected are then passed to pages. Currently all areas are in one
database.

What we want to do is have areas in separate dbs, a northern one, a western
one.etc. Each will have separate user ids (APT_W2N, APT_W3W,etc).

We want the users to have the web page presented to them where they select an
area. Based on the area they select, the appropriate conneciton string will
be used (the one in the global asa).

Is there a way to have that in the global asa? Maybe as a session
Session_OnStart? Based on the selection they made on the web page, they will
be using one of several connection strings so we can have connection pooling

Ray at

Don't multipost. See asp.db group.

Ray at work

hourman said:
[...]

sorry its my 1syt post, did not know which group was best suited for question,
since it involved db, but was also asp (global asa) related.