How can u connect to 1 of several dbs based on selection user makes when accessing main page

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by hourman, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. hourman

    hourman Guest

    We have a web site IIS 5 (on Win2000k) with Oracle 9i backend (Sun unix).

    There is 1 user ID to oracle(APT_W3) that is used by all users (50).

    We have a global.asa file that has one APP Start connection string using OLE
    DB:
    Application("dbConnString")="Provider=MSDAORA.1;Password='SDERSD';User
    ID=APT_W3;Data Source=CCEWSDD1_new;Locale Identifier=1033;OLE DB services=-1"

    The first page that a user sees asks that they select the area they want to
    see (western, northern, etc) from a dropdown menu. Once they select it and
    hit save they can go to other pages, session varibles indicating what area
    they selected are then passed to pages. Currently all areas are in one
    database.

    What we want to do is have areas in separate dbs, a northern one, a western
    one.etc. Each will have separate user ids (APT_W2N, APT_W3W,etc).

    We want the users to have the web page presented to them where they select an
    area. Based on the area they select, the appropriate conneciton string will
    be used (the one in the global asa).

    Is there a way to have that in the global asa? Maybe as a session
    Session_OnStart? Based on the selection they made on the web page, they will
    be using one of several connection strings so we can have connection pooling
    hourman, Jul 21, 2003

  2. hourman

    Ray at Guest

    Don't multipost. See asp.db group.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Jul 21, 2003

  3. hourman

    hourman Guest

    In article <>, "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <> wrote:
    >Don't multipost. See asp.db group.
    >
    >Ray at work
    >
    >"hourman" <> wrote in message
    >> We have a web site IIS 5 (on Win2000k) with Oracle 9i backend (Sun unix).
    >>
    >> There is 1 user ID to oracle(APT_W3) that is used by all users (50).
    >>
    >> We have a global.asa file that has one APP Start connection string using

    >OLE
    >> DB:
    >> Application("dbConnString")="Provider=MSDAORA.1;Password='SDERSD';User
    >> ID=APT_W3;Data Source=CCEWSDD1_new;Locale Identifier=1033;OLE DB

    >services=-1"

    sorry its my 1syt post, did not know which group was best suited for question,
    since it involved db, but was also asp (global asa) related.
    hourman, Jul 21, 2003