how do I add a subscribe by email in my web page

Discussion in 'Python' started by Survival Bill, Jul 26, 2003.

  1. I have things setup so far that users are able to subscribe via the web page
    that the program creates for users to subscribe that's ok, but what I want
    is to be able for users to subscribe via an e-mail statement in my web page
    can this even be done using the

    href=mailto:?subject=subscribe

    I have tried but can not get it to subscribe users to the list

    I have left out the " and < > statements out of the mailto:
    I did cuz I don't know how it will show in the newsgroup...

    I just set this up the other day and have searched for the info at python
    couldn't find what I was looking for so I am trying to pick your brains, I
    know easy stuff right well ya if you know how! problem I do not know the
    how part :(
    --
    _____________________________________

    Survival Bill Outdoor Retreat
    Website: http://www.survivalbill.com
    Message Forum: http://www.survivalbill.com/cgi-bin/forum.pl
    Photos: http://www.survivalbill.com/photosa.htm

    Survival Bill, Jul 26, 2003

  2. Survival Bill fed this fish to the penguins on Friday 25 July 2003
    09:13 pm:

    > href=mailto:?subject=subscribe

    "mailto:" normally invokes the user's email client, prefilling the
    recipient (to) field with the email address which follows... Since this
    is done on the client's end, there is normally no CGI type URL parsing
    of optional arguments.

    According to my old HTML4 text, Netscape /does/ use the ? to separate
    a subject...

    However, the recommendation was to use <a href="mailto:recipient"
    title="subject"> which was honored by Mosaic [I did say "old HTML4
    text] and had a better chance of being incorporated into other browsers
    [in the author's opinion]. Something about "title" being a recognized
    keyword in the HTML syntax, unlike having to parse URL-like email
    addresses.

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Jul 26, 2003