class foo:
def first(self):
print "Chad "

def last(self):
print "A "

x = foo()
y = x.first()
y.last()

But when I ran it, I got the following...

[cdalten@localhost oakland]$ ./chain.py
Chad
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./chain.py", line 12, in ?
y.last()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'last'
[cdalten@localhost oakland]$

Chris Rebert

How do I chain methods?
I tried the following...

#!/usr/bin/python

class foo:
   def first(self):
       print "Chad "

   def last(self):
       print "A "

x = foo()
y = x.first()
y.last()

But when I ran it, I got the following...

[cdalten@localhost oakland]$ ./chain.py
Chad
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "./chain.py", line 12, in ?
   y.last()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'last'
[cdalten@localhost oakland]$

Functions/methods without "return" statements, such as your last() and
first(), implicitly return None, Python's equivalent of null. Python
has no special support for method chaining; having your methods
`return self` achieves the same effect however.

Method chaining is usually* not idiomatic in Python. Most people would
instead just write:
x = foo()
x.first()
x.last()

If you insist on method chaining, adding the aforementioned `return`
statements would let you write:
x = foo()
x.first().last()

Cheers,
Chris

James Mills

I tried the following...

#!/usr/bin/python

class foo:
   def first(self):
       print "Chad "

   def last(self):
       print "A "

x = foo()
y = x.first()
y.last()

But when I ran it, I got the following...

[cdalten@localhost oakland]$ ./chain.py
Chad
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "./chain.py", line 12, in ?
   y.last()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'last'
[cdalten@localhost oakland]$

What you want is this:
.... def first(self):
.... print "Chad "
.... return self
.... def last(self):
.... print "A "
.... return self

NB: You must return "self" in this case so you can do chained calls.

cheers
James

James Mills

Method chaining is usually* not idiomatic in Python.

I don't agree but anyway... I've just not seen it commonly used
amongst python programmers.

cheers
James

chad

I don't agree but anyway... I've just not seen it commonly used
amongst python programmers.

cheers
James

I just saw this technique used in python script that was/is used to
automatically log them in myspace.com. Hence the question.

James Mills

I just saw this technique used in python script that was/is used to
automatically log them in myspace.com. Hence the question.

Function/Method Chaining is probably used a lot in Python itself:
2

The implementation of many common operators return self (the object
you're working with).

cheers
James

Steve Holden

Function/Method Chaining is probably used a lot in Python itself:

2

The implementation of many common operators return self (the object
you're working with).
You surely aren't trying to suggest that (4).__add__(1) returns 4?

regards
Steve

Steven D'Aprano

Function/Method Chaining is probably used a lot in Python itself:

2

The implementation of many common operators return self (the object
you're working with).

I can't think of any operations on built-ins that return self, except in
the special case of an identity operation. And even then, it's not common:
False

Ah wait, no, I thought of one: __iadd__:
x = [2.5]
y = x.__iadd__([None])
y is x
True

But:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
AttributeError: 'float' object has no attribute '__iadd__'

By the way, in case any newbies out there are reading...

....if you're writing x.__add__(1).__sub__(3) instead of x + 1 - 3 then
you're almost certainly doing it wrong.

James Mills

...if you're writing x.__add__(1).__sub__(3) instead of x + 1 - 3 then
you're almost certainly doing it wrong.

It was just an example :) ... And this isn't python-tutor

--James

James Mills

Function/Method Chaining is probably used a lot in Python itself:

2

The implementation of many common operators return self (the object
you're working with).

My apologies, this was a terribly example! int is immutable and
__add__ nor __sub__ return self :)

cheers
James

Chris Rebert

I don't agree but anyway... I've just not seen it commonly used
amongst python programmers.

If Python wanted to encourage method-chaining-style, then list.sort(),
list.reverse(), and several other built-in type methods would (ala
Ruby) return self rather than None. Since they don't, and since
"uncommon idiom" is a near-oxymoron, I think we can safely conclude
that method chaining isn't idiomatic in Python. Not that it doesn't
have specialized uses though (See asterisk note).

Cheers,
Chris

Steve Holden

If Python wanted to encourage method-chaining-style, then list.sort(),
list.reverse(), and several other built-in type methods would (ala
Ruby) return self rather than None. Since they don't, and since
"uncommon idiom" is a near-oxymoron, I think we can safely conclude
that method chaining isn't idiomatic in Python. Not that it doesn't
have specialized uses though (See asterisk note).
Yes, the Twisted guys use method chaining a lot - it's definitely
idiomatic in that framework.

regards
Steve

Terry Reedy

If Python wanted to encourage method-chaining-style, then list.sort(),
list.reverse(), and several other built-in type methods would (ala
Ruby) return self rather than None. Since they don't, and since
"uncommon idiom" is a near-oxymoron, I think we can safely conclude
that method chaining isn't idiomatic in Python.

It is intentionally not idiomatic for methods that mutate or otherwise
operate strictly by side-effect, as in the OP example.

It *is* idiomatic for methods that return new objects.
'Abc Def'

And, of course, it is used internally to implement expressions with
operators that also produce new objects.
True