How do I determine the number of lines displayed in browser?

joe

If I had a webpage that displayed a database in tabular form, it would
be nice to know how many lines of text the browser could display
without scrolling, then have the cgi script output the appropriate
number of lines of data to fill the screen.

I've seen examples of how to get the browser window size in pixels, but
is there a way to determine the number of lines that are displayed?

Thanks!

Joe McGuckin

Joakim Braun

If I had a webpage that displayed a database in tabular form, it would
be nice to know how many lines of text the browser could display
without scrolling, then have the cgi script output the appropriate
number of lines of data to fill the screen.

I've seen examples of how to get the browser window size in pixels, but
is there a way to determine the number of lines that are displayed?

Some like looking at five lines, some at twenty, regardless of window size.
Less lines means another trip to the server to see more, which may take time
and be more irritating than having to scroll.

How about letting the user choose the number of output lines (with a
<select> popup)?