How do I find a compiler that will compile a specific program?

mike

I need to do a minor update to a 8051 program written in
assembler in 1994 and assembled on a machine/language that no longer
exists. I wrote the program, so I have some idea how it works.

The assembler was asm80
A Cross Assembler

for the Intel 8080-8085

With CPM[tm] syntax

- by -

David A. Klotzbach

I have the C source for the program, but I can't compile it.
What I'd like is a dos/windows executable that I can use to
assemble my program, but I'd settle for something that works in linux.
I only plan to do this once.

I downloaded a freeware compiler for windows...no luck.
Built a Fedora Core 4 Linux system and tried that...no luck.
The error messages seem more about compiler directives than
C itself, but I'm no C programmer, so I can't tell for sure.
If I go hacking around in an assembler written in C, I'm gonna make
a mess for sure.

So, finally, my question: Given a C program, how does one go
about finding a compiler that will work on it? I'm not willing
to learn enough C to port someone else's assembler. And I really,
really don't want to port my program to a different assembler.
I think I can do a two-line patch without much debugging.
If I have to port it, I'll have to build a whole debugging system.

Do I have any options?
Thanks, mike

Vladimir Oka

mike said:
[...]

Using Google, and 5 minutes of my employer's time I managed to get to
something that looks like a binary/executable you're looking for:

http://www.geocities.com/rjkuhn_2000/as80_130.zip

Still, your question is probably better for one of the embedded groups.
If you ever try to go into "fixing" that C source you mention, do cmoe
here and ask.

Roberto Waltman

mike said:
I need to do a minor update to a 8051 program written in
assembler in 1994 and assembled on a machine/language that no longer
exists. I wrote the program, so I have some idea how it works.

The assembler was asm80
A Cross Assembler

for the Intel 8080-8085

With CPM[tm] syntax
So, finally, my question: Given a C program, how does one go
about finding a compiler that will work on it? I'm not willing
to learn enough C to port someone else's assembler. And I really,
really don't want to port my program to a different assembler.
I think I can do a two-line patch without much debugging.
If I have to port it, I'll have to build a whole debugging system.

Do I have any options?

<OT>
It is possible that the "machine/language that no longer exist" still
exist, or can be emulated in a modern system.

The options I see, in less-effort to more-effort order:

(a) Try searching for a ready to run version of asm80.

(b) Find somebody to help getting that assembler to work under a
modern C compiler.

(c) Convert the 8051 program to use a modern cross-assembler.
(Best option if you will do more maintenance work on that program)

(d) You mention an "8051 program" and a "cross assembler for the Intel
8080/85 with CPM syntax". I am going to guess this means your 8051
assembler is implemented as a set of macros for the cross assembler.
In this case you may be able to run the same macros on a "real" CPM
assembler under a CPM emulation such as MYZ80, etc. ( Try asking in
comp.os.cpm )
</OT>

mike

Vladimir said:
mike said:
[...]

Thank your employer for his time...but...I, too, have a search engine.
The program you found has a similar name, but uses different input
syntax...according to the manual. I haven't actually tried it because
it throws an illegal instruction error and aborts in a win2k dos box.
I will give it a shot in a real dos environment, but I'm not optimistic.
Thanks, mike

Hans Bus

mike said:
Vladimir said:
mike said:
[...]

Try :
http://www.df.lth.se/~pi/compis/files/ftp.mayn.de/pub/cpm/languages/plm80/

This will give you an ISIS emulator and the asm80 assembler

It should also be available on the CP/M page at :
http://www.cpm.z80.de/download/plm80.zip

Probably the second link offers more information.

Regards,
Hans