How do I install both Ruby 1.8 and Ruby 1.9?

dflanagan

Hi,

I have Ruby 1.8 installed (on Linux) in /usr/local/bin/.

I want to have a copy of a Ruby 1.9 snapshot around too, so I can try
out stuff out with that.

But I can't figure out how to install it in a different location.
I've altered the "prefix" variable in the Makefile, but when I do a
"make install", it just overwrites my Ruby 1.8 installation in /usr/
local/bin.

I imagine there is a simple solution to this. Can anyone share it?

David Flanagan

Vladimir Konrad

run

/configure --help

to see all the options

usually, i do:

configure --prefix=/usr/local/opt/ruby/1.9 --program-suffix=.yarv

and then symlink what is in /usr/local/opt/ruby/1.9/bin to
/usr/local/bin .

hope this helps,

vlad