How do I line up these three rows of objects?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by midori0x@yahoo.com, Oct 31, 2008.

  1. Guest

    http://www.cpart.co.cc/calendars/index.html

    Basicly, I have a series of images and text that are separated by a
    graphic divider that's part of the design. I've been doing all kinds
    of stuff with floats and margins, but I just can't figure out how I
    should go about this. I'm trying to go container-less for this part
    because after reading an article I realized I could try and be a
    little more semantic, a div for each three layer part seems kind of
    crazy. As always, I'd appreciate and am dying for any asisstance.
     
    , Oct 31, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > http://www.cpart.co.cc/calendars/index.html
    >
    > Basicly, I have a series of images and text that are separated by a
    > graphic divider that's part of the design. I've been doing all kinds
    > of stuff with floats and margins, but I just can't figure out how I
    > should go about this. I'm trying to go container-less for this part
    > because after reading an article I realized I could try and be a
    > little more semantic, a div for each three layer part seems kind of
    > crazy. As always, I'd appreciate and am dying for any asisstance.


    First job, validate the HTML.

    You need to set your character encoding, your page is showing white
    diamond shaped backed black question marks on my browsers... More info
    when you take a look at

    <http://validator.w3.org/>

    I suspect you also need a plain text editor, set plainly, to write your
    source code. Don't use curly quotes and funny dashes, uses simple plain
    ones. Korpela will explain all this to you if he is in a good mood.

    Anyway, here is a float layout that you could adapt to your needs. Just
    be careful and generous in styling the dimensions:

    <http://tinyurl.com/2jcs5r>

    Get the feeling you need to understand centring better too.

    I wrote a little piece on this once, but there are better (but, hey, why
    should I find them now?):

    <http://netweaver.com.au/centring/>

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Oct 31, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    On Oct 30, 7:03 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    > wrote:
    > >http://www.cpart.co.cc/calendars/index.html

    >
    > > Basicly, I have a series of images and text that are separated by a
    > > graphic divider that's part of the design. I've been doing all kinds
    > > of stuff with floats and margins, but I just can't figure out how I
    > > should go about this. I'm trying to go container-less for this part
    > > because after reading an article I realized I could try and be a
    > > little more semantic, a div for each three layer part seems kind of
    > > crazy. As always, I'd appreciate and am dying for any asisstance.

    >
    > First job, validate the HTML.
    >
    > You need to set your character encoding, your page is showing white
    > diamond shaped backed black question marks on my browsers... More info
    > when you take a look at
    >
    > <http://validator.w3.org/>
    >
    > I suspect you also need a plain text editor, set plainly, to write your
    > source code. Don't use curly quotes and funny dashes, uses simple plain
    > ones. Korpela will explain all this to you if he is in a good mood.
    >
    > Anyway, here is a float layout that you could adapt to your needs. Just
    > be careful and generous in styling the dimensions:
    >
    > <http://tinyurl.com/2jcs5r>
    >
    > Get the feeling you need to understand centring better too.
    >
    > I wrote a little piece on this once, but there are better (but, hey, why
    > should I find them now?):
    >
    > <http://netweaver.com.au/centring/>
    >
    > --
    > dorayme


    Thanks alot for links, I was indeed having another issue with
    centering objects too. I'm coding the css and html in notepad ++
    and I had the curly brackets in their because the person I'm making
    the site for insisted on them to emphasize "inches" for the
    product descriptions. What encoding type would you recommend, UTF-8 is
    the one I see often and when I used it I indeed did
    get the boxes and question marks.
     
    , Oct 31, 2008
    #3
  4. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > On Oct 30, 7:03 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > >
    > > wrote:
    > > >http://www.cpart.co.cc/calendars/index.html

    ....
    > > First job, validate the HTML.
    > >
    > > You need to set your character encoding, your page is showing white
    > > diamond shaped backed black question marks on my browsers... More info
    > > when you take a look at
    > >
    > > <http://validator.w3.org/>
    > >
    > > I suspect you also need a plain text editor, set plainly, to write your
    > > source code. Don't use curly quotes and funny dashes, uses simple plain
    > > ones. Korpela will explain all this to you if he is in a good mood.
    > >

    ....
    >
    > ... I'm coding the css and html in notepad ++
    > and I had the curly brackets in their because the person I'm making
    > the site for insisted on them to emphasize "inches" for the
    > product descriptions. What encoding type would you recommend, UTF-8 is
    > the one I see often and when I used it I indeed did
    > get the boxes and question marks.


    How your server is set up is an important factor in this. To learn about
    this you need to follow up, for example, the link I gave you before on
    validation. If you have no control of your server, you should ask server
    admin to set things up to deliver UTF-8 (if that is what you want, it
    sounds reasonable to me). At least stick this in the head of your docs,
    (Use 4.01 Strict Doctype declaration at the top of your HTML):

    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

    as well.

    The other factor is how you have your text editor set up. I know nothing
    about Notepad except that it is something plainish and wholesome (I hear
    my editors talking to each other after work and they seem to like
    Notebook). In my editor I have set it to save docs in UTF-8.

    Perhaps you might also read about referencing characters (including
    curly quotes by character encoding names) like &ldquo; and &rdquo;):

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark_glyphs>

    Also scan archives of this group.

    You could profit from reading my favourite Finnish writer:

    <http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html>

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Oct 31, 2008
    #4
  5. Guest

    On Oct 30, 11:46 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > wrote:
    > > On Oct 30, 7:03 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > > In article
    > > > <>,

    >
    > > > wrote:
    > > > >http://www.cpart.co.cc/calendars/index.html

    > ...
    > > > First job, validate the HTML.

    >
    > > > You need to set your character encoding, your page is showing white
    > > > diamond shaped backed black question marks on my browsers... More info
    > > > when you take a look at

    >
    > > > <http://validator.w3.org/>

    >
    > > > I suspect you also need a plain text editor, set plainly, to write your
    > > > source code. Don't use curly quotes and funny dashes, uses simple plain
    > > > ones. Korpela will explain all this to you if he is in a good mood.

    >
    > ...
    >
    > > ... I'm coding the css and html in notepad ++
    > > and I had the curly brackets in their because the person I'm making
    > > the site for insisted on them to emphasize "inches" for the
    > > product descriptions. What encoding type would you recommend, UTF-8 is
    > > the one I see often and when I used it I indeed did
    > > get the boxes and question marks.

    >
    > How your server is set up is an important factor in this. To learn about
    > this you need to follow up, for example, the link I gave you before on
    > validation. If you have no control of your server, you should ask server
    > admin to set things up to deliver UTF-8 (if that is what you want, it
    > sounds reasonable to me). At least stick this in the head of your docs,
    > (Use 4.01 Strict Doctype declaration at the top of your HTML):
    >
    > <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    >
    > as well.
    >
    > The other factor is how you have your text editor set up. I know nothing
    > about Notepad except that it is something plainish and wholesome (I hear
    > my editors talking to each other after work and they seem to like
    > Notebook). In my editor I have set it to save docs in UTF-8.
    >
    > Perhaps you might also read about referencing characters (including
    > curly quotes by character encoding names) like &ldquo; and &rdquo;):
    >
    > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark_glyphs>
    >
    > Also scan archives of this group.
    >
    > You could profit from reading my favourite Finnish writer:
    >
    > <http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html>
    >
    > --
    > dorayme



    I just went ahead and fixed all the errors, the validator is now
    saying everything is good for the most part, but what about the style
    sheet?
    I should use this type of bracket [] instead of {} with css documents?
     
    , Nov 2, 2008
    #5
  6. rf Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I just went ahead and fixed all the errors, the validator is now
    > saying everything is good for the most part, but what about the style
    > sheet?


    Use the CSS validator.

    > I should use this type of bracket [] instead of {} with css documents?


    Er, what possibly gave you idea that you should, or even could?

    Quite seriously, if somebody told you you could use [ and ] then don't
    believe any more they say. If you read it in a book then throw the book away
    :)
     
    rf, Nov 2, 2008
    #6
  7. Guest

    On Nov 1, 7:58 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    >
    > > I just went ahead and fixed all the errors, the validator is now
    > > saying everything is good for the most part, but what about the style
    > > sheet?

    >
    > Use the CSS validator.
    >
    > > I should use this type of bracket [] instead of {} with css documents?

    >
    > Er, what possibly gave you idea that you should, or even could?
    >
    > Quite seriously, if somebody told you you could use [ and ] then don't
    > believe any more they say. If you read it in a book then throw the book away
    > :)


    Yeah, I read a page about using curly braces for css, but that was
    referring to inline styles
    that might cause problems for some browsers, my bad.
     
    , Nov 2, 2008
    #7
  8. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > On Oct 30, 11:46 pm, dorayme wrote:


    > > midor wrote:
    > > > On Oct 30, 7:03 pm, dorayme wrote:

    > >
    > > > > midor wrote:
    > > > > >http://www.cpart.co.cc/calendars/index.html

    > > ...
    > > > > First job, validate the HTML.

    > >

    ....
    >
    >
    > I just went ahead and fixed all the errors, the validator is now
    > saying everything is good for the most part, but what about the style
    > sheet?


    What about the style sheet? We should really be talking about your HTML
    first. Did you look at the url I gave you that floats and centres blocks
    of pics with their captions?

    > I should use this type of bracket [] instead of {} with css documents?


    Why would you do that? Did you write the sheet for the above URL? What
    even made you suppose you should use curly brackets in the first place?
    I mean, it is not exactly some obvious choice! And why were you not more
    surprised that the validator gave you a sort of thumbs up with the curly
    ones? <g>

    Yes, the curly ones are correct!

    But you are puzzling me. My minders have communicated some recent
    intelligence about a strange spaceship that has left Alpha_657 (a
    jokster planet that plays the equivalent of April Fools jokes on
    Martians - but in November.)

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Nov 2, 2008
    #8
  9. rf Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > http://www.cpart.co.cc/calendars/index.html
    >
    > Basicly, I have a series of images and text that are separated by a
    > graphic divider that's part of the design. I've been doing all kinds
    > of stuff with floats and margins, but I just can't figure out how I
    > should go about this. I'm trying to go container-less for this part
    > because after reading an article I realized I could try and be a
    > little more semantic, a div for each three layer part seems kind of
    > crazy. As always, I'd appreciate and am dying for any asisstance.


    You have not said what you want this to look like. At the moment I see a
    bunch of calendars and a bunch of yellow things, with no apparent logic to
    their placement. Are those five blocks of text supposed to relate to the
    five rectangular images? And the yellow things. Where to you want them to
    go?

    What are you trying to do? What to you *want* it to look like? You could
    upload a jpeg of your hand drawn sketch, for example.

    And what does "container-less" mean? What is a "layer part"? How do you want
    to be more "semantic"?
     
    rf, Nov 2, 2008
    #9
  10. Sitedude Guest

    On Oct 30, 8:32 pm, wrote:
    > http://www.cpart.co.cc/calendars/index.html
    >
    > Basicly, I have a series of images and text that are separated by a
    > graphic divider that's part of the design. I've been doing all kinds
    > of stuff with floats and margins, but I just can't figure out how I
    > should go about this. I'm trying to go container-less for this part
    > because after reading an article I realized I could try and be a
    > little more semantic, a div for each three layer part seems kind of
    > crazy. As always, I'd appreciate and am dying for any asisstance.


    a quick note on using special characters in html, it is best to use
    the decimal, octal, or the html codes for these. For example "
    will print to the screen the double qoute character. You can find
    these at http://www.asciitable.com/
     
    Sitedude, Nov 2, 2008
    #10
  11. Guest

    On Nov 1, 9:30 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > wrote:
    > > On Oct 30, 11:46 pm, dorayme wrote:
    > > > midor wrote:
    > > > > On Oct 30, 7:03 pm, dorayme wrote:

    >
    > > > > > midor wrote:
    > > > > > >http://www.cpart.co.cc/calendars/index.html
    > > > ...
    > > > > > First job, validate the HTML.

    >
    > ...
    >
    > > I just went ahead and fixed all the errors, the validator is now
    > > saying everything is good for the most part, but what about the style
    > > sheet?

    >
    > What about the style sheet? We should really be talking about your HTML
    > first. Did you look at the url I gave you that floats and centres blocks
    > of pics with their captions?

    I was so busy correcting all the errors and warnings I'm only just now
    getting
    to the fun part. I'm reading the centering article now.

    > > I should use this type of bracket [] instead of {} with css documents?

    >
    > Why would you do that? Did you write the sheet for the above URL? What
    > even made you suppose you should use curly brackets in the first place?
    > I mean, it is not exactly some obvious choice! And why were you not more
    > surprised that the validator gave you a sort of thumbs up with the curly
    > ones? <g>
    >
    > Yes, the curly ones are correct!

    My fault for misreading you earlier:
    >Don't use curly quotes and funny dashes, uses simple plain
    >ones. Korpela will explain all this to you if he is in a good mood.

    I don't know why, but I thought you were talking about the curly
    brackets in the css code, sorry about the confusion.
    > But you are puzzling me. My minders have communicated some recent
    > intelligence about a strange spaceship that has left Alpha_657 (a
    > jokster planet that plays the equivalent of April Fools jokes on
    > Martians - but in November.)
    >
    > --
    > dorayme


    No comment...
     
    , Nov 2, 2008
    #11
  12. Guest

    On Nov 1, 9:49 pm, Sitedude <> wrote:
    > On Oct 30, 8:32 pm, wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.cpart.co.cc/calendars/index.html

    >
    > > Basicly, I have a series of images and text that are separated by a
    > > graphic divider that's part of the design. I've been doing all kinds
    > > of stuff with floats and margins, but I just can't figure out how I
    > > should go about this. I'm trying to go container-less for this part
    > > because after reading an article I realized I could try and be a
    > > little more semantic, a div for each three layer part seems kind of
    > > crazy. As always, I'd appreciate and am dying for any asisstance.

    >
    > a quick note on using special characters in html, it is best to use
    > the decimal, octal, or the html codes for these. For example "
    > will print to the screen the double qoute character. You can find
    > these athttp://www.asciitable.com/


    Thanks, bookmarked!
     
    , Nov 2, 2008
    #12
  13. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > On Nov 1, 9:30 pm, dorayme <> wrote:


    > > wrote:
    > > > On Oct 30, 11:46 pm, dorayme wrote:
    > > > > midor wrote:
    > > > > > On Oct 30, 7:03 pm, dorayme wrote:

    > >
    > > > > > > midor wrote:
    > > > > > > >http://www.cpart.co.cc/calendars/index.html
    > > > > ...
    > > > > > > First job, validate the HTML.

    > >
    > > ...
    > >
    > > > I just went ahead and fixed all the errors, the validator is now
    > > > saying everything is good for the most part, but what about the style
    > > > sheet?

    > >
    > > What about the style sheet? We should really be talking about your HTML
    > > first. Did you look at the url I gave you that floats and centres blocks
    > > of pics with their captions?

    > I was so busy correcting all the errors and warnings I'm only just now
    > getting
    > to the fun part. I'm reading the centering article now.
    >


    I think I saw what you wanted, at first I was as puzzled as rf.

    See my previous comments on a possible solution, ask if they puzzle you.

    > > > I should use this type of bracket [] instead of {} with css documents?

    > >
    > > Why would you do that? Did you write the sheet for the above URL? What
    > > even made you suppose you should use curly brackets in the first place?
    > > I mean, it is not exactly some obvious choice! And why were you not more
    > > surprised that the validator gave you a sort of thumbs up with the curly
    > > ones? <g>
    > >
    > > Yes, the curly ones are correct!

    > My fault for misreading you earlier:
    > >Don't use curly quotes and funny dashes, uses simple plain
    > >ones.


    Ah! Now I see. No, I was just urging my fondness for plain typewritery
    things rather than fancy...

    (btw, well done getting so many errors out before...)

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Nov 2, 2008
    #13
  14. On 2008-11-02, Sitedude wrote:
    > On Oct 30, 8:32 pm, wrote:
    >> http://www.cpart.co.cc/calendars/index.html
    >>
    >> Basicly, I have a series of images and text that are separated by a
    >> graphic divider that's part of the design. I've been doing all kinds
    >> of stuff with floats and margins, but I just can't figure out how I
    >> should go about this. I'm trying to go container-less for this part
    >> because after reading an article I realized I could try and be a
    >> little more semantic, a div for each three layer part seems kind of
    >> crazy. As always, I'd appreciate and am dying for any asisstance.

    >
    > a quick note on using special characters in html, it is best to use
    > the decimal, octal, or the html codes for these. For example "
    > will print to the screen the double qoute character. You can find
    > these at http://www.asciitable.com/


    There's no point to doing that for ASCII characters; they are the
    same in all codings used on the Web. For typewriter-style double
    quotes, just use ".

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster <http://Woodbine-Gerrard.com>
    ===================================================================
    Author:
    Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)
     
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Nov 2, 2008
    #14
  15. Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

    > On 2008-11-02, Sitedude wrote:

    - -
    >> a quick note on using special characters in html, it is best to use
    >> the decimal, octal, or the html codes for these. For example "
    >> will print to the screen the double qoute character. You can find
    >> these at http://www.asciitable.com/

    >
    > There's no point to doing that for ASCII characters; they are the
    > same in all codings used on the Web.


    Well, maybe they are (though there is no law against using, say, EBCDIC on
    the Web), but the point is really that any encoding used has codes for all
    printable ASCII characters, so they can be entered as such.

    Sitedude's pointless advice was also incorrect: octal codes cannot be used
    in character references in HTML.

    > For typewriter-style double
    > quotes, just use ".


    They can indeed be typed as such, in any context except within an attribute
    value written between such quotes. On the other hand, these days there's not
    much need for using typewriter-style quotes on the Web, except when
    discussing computer languages that contain them as defined part of the
    syntax.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
     
    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 2, 2008
    #15
  16. Bergamot Guest

    wrote:
    >
    >> > I should use this type of bracket [] instead of {} with css documents?

    >
    > I read a page about using curly braces for css, but that was
    > referring to inline styles


    Seems you have misunderstood more than you thought - curly braces are
    *not* used for inline styles. An inline style uses the HTML style
    attribute, e.g.
    <div style="clear:both">

    Inline styles should be used sparingly, if at all, because they make
    both debugging rendering issues and ongoing maintenance a PITA.

    Curly braces are used in a stylesheet, which may be in an external CSS
    file or embedded in the document <head>.

    --
    Berg
     
    Bergamot, Nov 2, 2008
    #16
  17. Guest

    On Nov 1, 11:04 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    >
    >
    > wrote:
    > > On Nov 1, 9:30 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > > wrote:
    > > > > On Oct 30, 11:46 pm, dorayme wrote:
    > > > > > midor wrote:
    > > > > > > On Oct 30, 7:03 pm, dorayme wrote:

    >
    > > > > > > > midor wrote:
    > > > > > > > >http://www.cpart.co.cc/calendars/index.html
    > > > > > ...
    > > > > > > > First job, validate the HTML.

    >
    > > > ...

    >
    > > > > I just went ahead and fixed all the errors, the validator is now
    > > > > saying everything is good for the most part, but what about the style
    > > > > sheet?

    >
    > > > What about the style sheet? We should really be talking about your HTML
    > > > first. Did you look at the url I gave you that floats and centres blocks
    > > > of pics with their captions?

    > > I was so busy correcting all the errors and warnings I'm only just now
    > > getting
    > > to the fun part. I'm reading the centering article now.

    >
    > I think I saw what you wanted, at first I was as puzzled as rf.
    >
    > See my previous comments on a possible solution, ask if they puzzle you.
    >
    > > > > I should use this type of bracket [] instead of {} with css documents?

    >
    > > > Why would you do that? Did you write the sheet for the above URL? What
    > > > even made you suppose you should use curly brackets in the first place?
    > > > I mean, it is not exactly some obvious choice! And why were you not more
    > > > surprised that the validator gave you a sort of thumbs up with the curly
    > > > ones? <g>

    >
    > > > Yes, the curly ones are correct!

    > > My fault for misreading you earlier:
    > > >Don't use curly quotes and funny dashes, uses simple plain
    > > >ones.

    >
    > Ah! Now I see. No, I was just urging my fondness for plain typewritery
    > things rather than fancy...
    >
    > (btw, well done getting so many errors out before...)
    >
    > --
    > dorayme


    Heh, thanks! I learned a whole lot fixing them and even simplified
    some of my code on another page based on what I learned.


    Bergamot
    View profile
    wrote: >> > I should use this type of bracket []
    instead of {} with css documents? > I read a page about using curly
    braces for css, but that was > referring to inline styles Seems you
    have misunderstood more than you thought - curly braces are *not* used
    for inline styles. An inline style uses the HTML style attribute, e.g.
    <div style="clear:both"> Inline styles should be used sparingly, if at
    all, because they make both debugging rendering issues and ongoing
    maintenance a PITA. Curly braces are used in a stylesheet, which may
    be in an external CSS file or embedded in the document <head>. -- Berg
    More options Nov 2, 10:00 am
    Newsgroups: alt.html
    From: Bergamot <>
    Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:00:58 -0600
    Local: Sun, Nov 2 2008 10:00 am
    Subject: Re: How do I line up these three rows of objects?
    Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
    original | Report this message | Find messages by this author

    wrote:

    >> > I should use this type of bracket [] instead of {} with css documents?


    > I read a page about using curly braces for css, but that was
    > referring to inline styles


    >Seems you have misunderstood more than you thought - curly braces are
    >*not* used for inline styles. An inline style uses the HTML style
    >attribute, e.g.
    ><div style="clear:both">

    Yes, the article I read was *warning* people about using curly
    brackets
    for inline styles. I was never asking if I could use curly brackets
    inline,
    I misread an earlier post and thought something was wrong with using
    curly brackets period for css, that's why that discussion came up.

    >Inline styles should be used sparingly, if at all, because they make
    >both debugging rendering issues and ongoing maintenance a PITA.

    Indeed, I have all my css in an external file.
     
    , Nov 2, 2008
    #17
  18. Bergamot Guest

    Ben C wrote:
    >
    > In an older CSS specification somewhere you could use selectors in the
    > style attribute


    I couldn't find any reference to such a thing at W3C, just a mention
    that the syntax in the style attribute is dependent on the default
    stylesheet language, which doesn't necessarily have to be CSS. That's
    all there really is, though.

    --
    Berg
     
    Bergamot, Nov 2, 2008
    #18
  19. Guest

    On Nov 1, 8:41 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    >
    > >http://www.cpart.co.cc/calendars/index.html

    >
    > > Basicly, I have a series of images and text that are separated by a
    > > graphic divider that's part of the design. I've been doing all kinds
    > > of stuff with floats and margins, but I just can't figure out how I
    > > should go about this. I'm trying to go container-less for this part
    > > because after reading an article I realized I could try and be a
    > > little more semantic, a div for each three layer part seems kind of
    > > crazy. As always, I'd appreciate and am dying for any asisstance.

    >
    > You have not said what you want this to look like. At the moment I see a
    > bunch of calendars and a bunch of yellow things, with no apparent logic to
    > their placement. Are those five blocks of text supposed to relate to the
    > five rectangular images? And the yellow things. Where to you want them to
    > go?
    >
    > What are you trying to do? What to you *want* it to look like? You could
    > upload a jpeg of your hand drawn sketch, for example.
    >
    > And what does "container-less" mean? What is a "layer part"? How do you want
    > to be more "semantic"?


    I should have just said less reliant on divs. I guess I got a little
    carried away
    with the general idea of tutorials I've read that suggest using more
    css based
    positioning to avoid "divitus" but dorayme's method is working out
    nice for me.

    So does anyone have any ideas on what could be forcing the top menu
    and
    the calendar containing divs towards the bottom out of their
    respective parent
    divs? Everything is fine in IE, but in FF and Opera too I recall, I
    have content
    spilling out of the div.

    >Get the feeling you need to understand centring better too.
    >I wrote a little piece on this once, but there are better (but, hey, why
    >should I find them now?):
    >http://netweaver.com.au/centring/>

    I've been reading the tutorial and looking at the sample page code and
    can't figure
    out for the life of me how to get the content centered properly. I
    used fixed div width
    with margin auto for now, when I try to set the holder div width to
    percent the images
    start to break way too soon. It's like there's some margining or
    padding from the right
    I can't see. Sorry if this sounds crazy, it's really hard for me to
    explain.

    X X X | | A diagram of what it does when I use
    percent, the gap in between
    X the two lines represents the invisble
    space that's forcing my line of
    divs to break far too soon when I resize
    the window for lower resolution
    testing.
     
    , Nov 4, 2008
    #19
  20. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > dorayme's method is working out
    > nice for me.
    >


    OK, please show the url of your efforts using this and we will go on
    from there to solve your other problems.

    > So does anyone have any ideas on what could be forcing the top menu
    > and
    > the calendar containing divs towards the bottom out of their
    > respective parent
    > divs? Everything is fine in IE, but in FF and Opera too I recall, I
    > have content
    > spilling out of the div.
    >


    This sounds to me like a case of floats spilling out of their parent
    container. in which case, the following might help you:

    <http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/>


    > >Get the feeling you need to understand centring better too.


    > >http://netweaver.com.au/centring/>


    > I've been reading the tutorial and looking at the sample page code and
    > can't figure


    You have been looking at *which* sample page code? in this business, you
    need to be pretty specific.


    > out for the life of me how to get the content centered properly. I
    > used fixed div width
    > with margin auto for now, when I try to set the holder div width to
    > percent the images
    > start to break way too soon. It's like there's some margining or
    > padding from the right
    > I can't see. Sorry if this sounds crazy, it's really hard for me to
    > explain.
    >


    Make up an HTML doc (a URL to us if you want too) with the essential
    things to see what is happening.


    > X X X | | A diagram of what it does when I use
    > percent, the gap in between
    > X the two lines represents the invisble
    > space that's forcing my line of
    > divs to break far too soon when I resize
    > the window for lower resolution
    > testing.


    Diagrams in newsgroup posts do not always come out how you expect! The
    expert diagrammer around here is Jonathan Little. Ask him for a tute on
    diagramming for ngs... <g>

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Nov 4, 2008
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Arjen Hoekstra
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    576
    Arjen Hoekstra
    Aug 2, 2005
  2. xz
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    301
    James Kanze
    Mar 16, 2008
  3. RC
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    568
  4. KevinSimonson
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    374
    Jorgen Grahn
    Nov 10, 2010
  5. Giant Cranes

    Reduce three line method to one line

    Giant Cranes, Feb 22, 2008, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    104
    Thufir
    Feb 27, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page