    I basically want the user to be able to click on a Tip of The Day
    link, maybe a pop-up comes up with a new tip, automatically changed
    every day.

    smk17, Dec 17, 2007

  2. smk17

    rf Guest

    "smk17" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can someone point me in the right direction? I have searched the web
    > and found some very confusing and different ideas on how to do it, but
    > they were from 2000 and 2003. I'm wondering if something newer and
    > easier has come along, thanks.
    >
    > I basically want the user to be able to click on a Tip of The Day
    > link, maybe a pop-up comes up with a new tip, automatically changed
    > every day.

    No popups (horrible things) but a sidebar, extracted from a tennis site I
    wrote a few years ago. It's currently set for random tips (one per refresh)
    but there is commented code in there to cycle through the tips one per day.

    http://barefile.com.au/tips/

    It's done with PHP (very very old stuff so don't look too closely at the
    code.

    You can view the php at http://barefile.com.au/tips/index.txt where the tip
    is written to the HTML. tennisrules.php (
    http://barefile.com.au/tips/tennisrules.txt ) is where the $trq and $tra
    variables are set up. You can ignore everything except the stuff relating to
    the tip of the day. It's not "state of the art" but it works and is IMHO
    simple. It also caused quite a bit of controversy at the tennis courts when
    people discovered that the "rules" they had been using were incorrect.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 17, 2007

  3. smk17

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 04:54:06
    GMT rf scribed:

    > You can view the php at http://barefile.com.au/tips/index.txt where
    > the tip is written to the HTML. tennisrules.php (
    > http://barefile.com.au/tips/tennisrules.txt ) is where the $trq and
    > $tra variables are set up. You can ignore everything except the stuff
    > relating to the tip of the day. It's not "state of the art" but it
    > works and is IMHO simple. It also caused quite a bit of controversy at
    > the tennis courts when people discovered that the "rules" they had
    > been using were incorrect.

    Gee, I hope that didn't set so badly with them that they made a racket over
    it.

    --
    Bone Ur
    Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

    Bone Ur, Dec 17, 2007
  4. smk17

    rf Guest

    "Bone Ur" <> wrote in message
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 04:54:06
    > GMT rf scribed:
    >
    >> You can view the php at http://barefile.com.au/tips/index.txt where
    >> the tip is written to the HTML. tennisrules.php (
    >> http://barefile.com.au/tips/tennisrules.txt ) is where the $trq and
    >> $tra variables are set up. You can ignore everything except the stuff
    >> relating to the tip of the day. It's not "state of the art" but it
    >> works and is IMHO simple. It also caused quite a bit of controversy at
    >> the tennis courts when people discovered that the "rules" they had
    >> been using were incorrect.

    > Gee, I hope that didn't set so badly with them that they made a racket
    > over
    > it.

    Only when they got court at it. Of course there was no match with the ITF
    rules. Some players were game enough to declare an incorrect call, until I
    scored by point-ing them to the ITF site on the inter... net.

    But, I prattle...

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 17, 2007
  5. smk17

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Dec 17, 8:05 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > "Bone Ur" <> wrote in message

    > > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 04:54:06
    > > GMT rf scribed:

    > >> You can view the php athttp://barefile.com.au/tips/index.txtwhere
    > >> the tip is written to the HTML. tennisrules.php (
    > >>http://barefile.com.au/tips/tennisrules.txt) is where the $trq and
    > >> $tra variables are set up. You can ignore everything except the stuff
    > >> relating to the tip of the day. It's not "state of the art" but it
    > >> works and is IMHO simple. It also caused quite a bit of controversy at
    > >> the tennis courts when people discovered that the "rules" they had
    > >> been using were incorrect.

    > > Gee, I hope that didn't set so badly with them that they made a racket
    > > over
    > > it.

    > Only when they got court at it. Of course there was no match with the ITF
    > rules. Some players were game enough to declare an incorrect call, until I
    > scored by point-ing them to the ITF site on the inter... net.
    >
    > But, I prattle...

    Hi Richard.
    How come your main barefile site has no content on it?
    Or is it just a domain for testing stuff?

    Chaddy2222, Dec 17, 2007
  6. smk17

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:05:40
    GMT rf scribed:

    >>> It also caused quite a bit of
    >>> controversy at the tennis courts when people discovered that the
    >>> "rules" they had been using were incorrect.

    >> Gee, I hope that didn't set so badly with them that they made a
    >> racket over
    >> it.

    > Only when they got court at it.

    <grin> Liked that.

    > Of course there was no match with the
    > ITF rules. Some players were game enough to declare an incorrect call,
    > until I scored by point-ing them to the ITF site on the inter... net.
    >
    > But, I prattle...

    Beware, over-prattling can make one sexually lissome. Of course, watching
    tennis players' shorts may alleviate the issue somewhat.

    Bone Ur, Dec 17, 2007
  7. smk17

    rf Guest

    "Chaddy2222" <> wrote in message

    > Hi Richard.
    > How come your main barefile site has no content on it?

    Because I haven't put any there yet :)

    > Or is it just a domain for testing stuff?

    At the moment, yes.

    --
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 18, 2007
  8. smk17

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Dec 19, 10:28 am, "rf" <> wrote:
    > "Chaddy2222" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi Richard.
    > > How come your main barefile site has no content on it?

    > Because I haven't put any there yet :)
    >
    > > Or is it just a domain for testing stuff?

    > At the moment, yes.

    Good for you.
    I actually just updated my main site this week. Dam it's hard
    thingking of new content at times.
    I am also launching another new site in January 2008.

    Chaddy2222, Dec 20, 2007