How do I make a tip of the day pop up?

smk17

Can someone point me in the right direction? I have searched the web
and found some very confusing and different ideas on how to do it, but
they were from 2000 and 2003. I'm wondering if something newer and
easier has come along, thanks.

I basically want the user to be able to click on a Tip of The Day
link, maybe a pop-up comes up with a new tip, automatically changed
every day.

rf

smk17 said:
Can someone point me in the right direction? I have searched the web
and found some very confusing and different ideas on how to do it, but
they were from 2000 and 2003. I'm wondering if something newer and
easier has come along, thanks.

I basically want the user to be able to click on a Tip of The Day
link, maybe a pop-up comes up with a new tip, automatically changed
every day.

No popups (horrible things) but a sidebar, extracted from a tennis site I
wrote a few years ago. It's currently set for random tips (one per refresh)
but there is commented code in there to cycle through the tips one per day.

http://barefile.com.au/tips/

It's done with PHP (very very old stuff so don't look too closely at the
code.

You can view the php at http://barefile.com.au/tips/index.txt where the tip
is written to the HTML. tennisrules.php (
http://barefile.com.au/tips/tennisrules.txt ) is where the $trq and $tra
variables are set up. You can ignore everything except the stuff relating to
the tip of the day. It's not "state of the art" but it works and is IMHO
simple. It also caused quite a bit of controversy at the tennis courts when
people discovered that the "rules" they had been using were incorrect.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 04:54:06
GMT rf scribed:
You can view the php at http://barefile.com.au/tips/index.txt where
the tip is written to the HTML. tennisrules.php (
http://barefile.com.au/tips/tennisrules.txt ) is where the $trq and
$tra variables are set up. You can ignore everything except the stuff
relating to the tip of the day. It's not "state of the art" but it
works and is IMHO simple. It also caused quite a bit of controversy at
the tennis courts when people discovered that the "rules" they had
been using were incorrect.

Gee, I hope that didn't set so badly with them that they made a racket over
it.

rf

Bone Ur said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 04:54:06
GMT rf scribed:

Gee, I hope that didn't set so badly with them that they made a racket
over
it.

Only when they got court at it. Of course there was no match with the ITF
rules. Some players were game enough to declare an incorrect call, until I
scored by point-ing them to the ITF site on the inter... net.

But, I prattle...

Chaddy2222

Only when they got court at it. Of course there was no match with the ITF
rules. Some players were game enough to declare an incorrect call, until I
scored by point-ing them to the ITF site on the inter... net.

But, I prattle...
Hi Richard.
How come your main barefile site has no content on it?
Or is it just a domain for testing stuff?

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:05:40
GMT rf scribed:
Only when they got court at it.

Of course there was no match with the
ITF rules. Some players were game enough to declare an incorrect call,
until I scored by point-ing them to the ITF site on the inter... net.

But, I prattle...

Beware, over-prattling can make one sexually lissome. Of course, watching
tennis players' shorts may alleviate the issue somewhat.

Chaddy2222

Because I haven't put any there yet :)

At the moment, yes.
Good for you.
I actually just updated my main site this week. Dam it's hard
thingking of new content at times.
I am also launching another new site in January 2008.