How do I run a perl command on my web host?

vbMark

Hello,

I am running my web site on a web host that I don't own or have access to
the server itself other than FTP and my control panel.

I need to run a perl script from the command line. How do I do this? Do I
do something like Telnet in or what?

Thanks!

Paul Lalli

vbMark said:
I am running my web site on a web host that I don't own or have access to
the server itself other than FTP and my control panel.

I need to run a perl script from the command line. How do I do this? Do I
do something like Telnet in or what?

If you don't have any access other than FTP, then you don't have Telnet
access.

One possibility *might* be to create a CGI script that runs the script
you actually want to run, capturing and re-displaying the output back
to the browser. That doesn't seem like the best or most secure idea,
however.

This question is really impossible to answer without knowing what the
webhost is an having a good understanding of their policies. Why
aren't you asking the webhosting company itself how to get something
done?

Paul Lalli

vbMark

If you don't have any access other than FTP, then you don't have
Telnet access.

One possibility *might* be to create a CGI script that runs the script
you actually want to run, capturing and re-displaying the output back
to the browser. That doesn't seem like the best or most secure idea,
however.

This question is really impossible to answer without knowing what the
webhost is an having a good understanding of their policies. Why
aren't you asking the webhosting company itself how to get something
done?

Paul Lalli

I've not asked my web host as they are historically slow at replying to
questions. I thought that I could get a quick, simple answer here.

Thanks though.

Anno Siegel

vbMark said:
Paul Lalli said:
vbMark wrote:
[...]
This question is really impossible to answer without knowing what the
webhost is an having a good understanding of their policies. Why
aren't you asking the webhosting company itself how to get something
done?
[...].

I've not asked my web host as they are historically slow at replying to
questions. I thought that I could get a quick, simple answer here.

Why does that remind me of a lost car key and a street light?
Thanks though.

We love you too.

Anno