How do you set up http://localhost?

Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]

at a command prompt or at the run dialog box, run inetmgr (internet service
manager)
find your default website, and pull up the property pages. examine the path
for the virtual directory. this path maps to local host. for instance, it
may map to c:\inetpub\wwwroot by default. next, examine the quickstart
folder in inetmgr, it should be configured as a virtual directory. if it
isn't you will need to turn it into a virtual directory. then your link
should work

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

[Shameless Author Plug]
Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc

singh_angrez

Hi,

Just check by typing http://localhost/ in the browser. If you get help
page on iis then its ok. else install iis first and then go for web
applications.
if iis is installed then try the above solution given by Alvin

Regards,
angrez

M Skabialka

I opened IIS as you suggested, and found the default website. In properties
it says that the local path is "c:\inetpub\wwwroot".

However, there is no quickstart folder; there are these:

MyPC (local computer)
Web Sites
IISHelp
Scripts
tsweb
AspDotNetIntroLab1
aspnet_client
aspnet_webadmin
images
MovieReviews
TestASP
WebApplication1
_private
_vti_cnf
_vti_log
_vti_pvt
_vti_script
_vti_txt
Default SMTP Virtual Server
Domains
Current Sessions

How do I get a quickstart folder in there, and how so I set it up as a
virtual directory?
Thanks
Mich

Alvin Bruney said:
at a command prompt or at the run dialog box, run inetmgr (internet
service manager)
find your default website, and pull up the property pages. examine the
path for the virtual directory. this path maps to local host. for
instance, it may map to c:\inetpub\wwwroot by default. next, examine the
quickstart folder in inetmgr, it should be configured as a virtual
directory. if it isn't you will need to turn it into a virtual directory.
then your link should work

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

[Shameless Author Plug]
Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc
M Skabialka said:
After you install Visual Studio 2003 on Windows XP Pro, what else do you
have to do in order to create web applications.

When I try it tries to locate it at
http://localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1

I don't have localhost set up. How is that done?

Thanks,
Mich

Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]

the quickstart application is not on your drive. even if you created it, you
don't have the files. you can have a look for the quickstart application on
the installation cd or on the web if you care to spend time looking

--

M Skabialka said:
After you install Visual Studio 2003 on Windows XP Pro, what else do you
have to do in order to create web applications.

When I try it tries to locate it at
http://localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1

I don't have localhost set up. How is that done?

Thanks,
Mich

M Skabialka

I uninstalled all versions of .NET Framework, then reinstalled 1.1 and SDK.
I un and reinstalled MSDE 2000 and now in IIS there is a quickstart item.
Not knowing how to open these items I searched for .sln files and opened one
OK. However, when I try to create a new web application, the default site
is http://localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1
and I get an error
The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
open the Web project located at the following URL:
'http//:localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1' 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'.

SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) is running.
IIS is running and shows a default web site.

I still can't create Web Applications with Visual Studio 2003 60 day trial.
I am still new to this kind of software, and am not sure what to try next.

Any advise would be very appreciated,
Thanks,
Mich

Alvin Bruney said:
[...]

go to the file project, select new project, give it a default name. from
that point, your application should open. Is that what you are doing (from
Visual Studio?)

--

"Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
[...]

I open Visual Studio, go to File, New, Project.
I select ASP .Net Web Application
The name and default location is http://localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1
I click OK, then get the message:
The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
open the Web project located at the following URL:
'http//:localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1' 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'.

If I try Explorer to see what is at this location
http://localhost/quickstart
I get an error 500 - The page cannot be displayed

I can create Windows Applications, but not ASP .Net Web Applications.
I am using WinXP Pro, and VS .NET 2003 60 day trial (whose time is running
out!)

Mich

Alvin Bruney said:
[...]

Nassos

Hi Man,
What you need is to setup the IIS of windows, to do this go to add/remove
programs -->Windows Components, and in the list that apears check the IIS
put the CD of windows and thats ALL!!!
Hope that helps.

M Skabialka said:
[...]

Something else is wrong somewhere!!!!
I have removed and reinstalled every aspect of Visual Studio, .Net
Framework, IIS, MSDE, etc...
And still it doesn't work!

Mich

Alvin Bruney said:
[...]

Mark Newby

M said:
SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) is running.
IIS is running and shows a default web site.

Something else is wrong somewhere!!!!
I have removed and reinstalled every aspect of Visual Studio, .Net
Framework, IIS, MSDE, etc...
And still it doesn't work!

I'm no expert, but based on what i did to get it working in winxp pro...

in case you've got a muddled configuration, open "Add/Remove Programs"
from Control Panel, select "Windows Components" (or similar name) and
remove all of IIS. then reboot and install it again using same process.
Make sure you install all the Server Extensions stuff.

when you install IIS this way it defaults to starting automatically when
you boot up.

open the mmc: right click "My Computer" icon, select "Manage...". expand
"Services", select IIS, right-click on "Default Web Site", select New
Virtual Folder ...create a folder, eg C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\MyTestArea
....and finish the wizard.

create a new "sub web" to enable all the Server Extensions (I think
these are used by Visual Studio): from the above mmc, right click the
new virtual folder you created and choose "Configure Server Extensions",
and accept all the defaults.

Now open up Visual Studio and create a new web project, selecting the
path as http://localhost/MyTestArea/WebApplication1, or whatever. add a
control to WebForm1, then hit F5 and it should run it in debug mode.

hope that helps. worked for me :)

mark