    Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Chris

    chutsu, Jun 30, 2008

  2. chutsu <> wrote:
    > I'm basically a summer student working on a program called Rivet.
    > (http://projects.hepforge.org/rivet/) And I'm trying to port it to
    > BOINC so that the hosts can download the BOINC client and do some
    > calculation over a large clusters of computers.

    > Me being an absolute beginner at programming, I don't know how to
    > update the Makefile in Rivet! I edited the Makefile.am in the src
    > directory to include the BOINC APIs and Libraries, but what do you do
    > then? do you use autoconf to generate a Makefile.in? and then run ./
    > configure all overagain? cause if thats the case it didn't work.

    Since Makefiles (and automake etc.) aren't in any way related to
    C this isn't a good group to ask for help. I would recommend that
    you ask for example in comp.unix.programmer since Makefiles and
    automake are more or less standard tools used in a UNIX environ-
    ment. If you do so it would probably help a lot if you would
    give a more detailed explanation of what you try to do. Just
    telling "it didn't work" doesn't tell what exactly you did try
    and what the exact results where. You should start with a clear
    description of what you want to achieve and what tools you're
    supposed to use (e.g. what's "Rivet!", what exactly means
    "include the BOINC APIs and Libraries" etc.?). Try to remember
    that the prople reading your posts have no idea what you're
    doing and can't see your screen;-) Also be aware that Makefiles
    and automake and friends can be a bit hard to understand, espe-
    cially for someone with not much experience in programming. So
    don't get frustrated if you either don't understand all answers
    at once or people tell you that you left out important details
    in your problem description...

    Regards, Jens
    --
    \ Jens Thoms Toerring ___

    Jens Thoms Toerring, Jun 30, 2008

  3. On 30 Jun 2008 at 10:33, chutsu wrote:
    > Me being an absolute beginner at programming, I don't know how to
    > update the Makefile in Rivet! I edited the Makefile.am in the src
    > directory to include the BOINC APIs and Libraries, but what do you do
    > then? do you use autoconf to generate a Makefile.in? and then run ./
    > configure all overagain? cause if thats the case it didn't work.

    You edit Makefile.am, and run automake. This produces Makefile.in, which
    is read by the configure script (produced by autoconf) to create the
    final output, namely a Makefile.

    If you need any more specific help, you'll need to specify the problem
    more specifically!

    Antoninus Twink, Jun 30, 2008