How do you update a Makefile?

chutsu

I'm basically a summer student working on a program called Rivet.
(http://projects.hepforge.org/rivet/) And I'm trying to port it to
BOINC so that the hosts can download the BOINC client and do some
calculation over a large clusters of computers.

Me being an absolute beginner at programming, I don't know how to
update the Makefile in Rivet! I edited the Makefile.am in the src
directory to include the BOINC APIs and Libraries, but what do you do
then? do you use autoconf to generate a Makefile.in? and then run ./
configure all overagain? cause if thats the case it didn't work.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks
Chris

Jens Thoms Toerring

chutsu said:
I'm basically a summer student working on a program called Rivet.
(http://projects.hepforge.org/rivet/) And I'm trying to port it to
BOINC so that the hosts can download the BOINC client and do some
calculation over a large clusters of computers.
Me being an absolute beginner at programming, I don't know how to
update the Makefile in Rivet! I edited the Makefile.am in the src
directory to include the BOINC APIs and Libraries, but what do you do
then? do you use autoconf to generate a Makefile.in? and then run ./
configure all overagain? cause if thats the case it didn't work.

Since Makefiles (and automake etc.) aren't in any way related to
C this isn't a good group to ask for help. I would recommend that
you ask for example in comp.unix.programmer since Makefiles and
automake are more or less standard tools used in a UNIX environ-
ment. If you do so it would probably help a lot if you would
give a more detailed explanation of what you try to do. Just
telling "it didn't work" doesn't tell what exactly you did try
and what the exact results where. You should start with a clear
description of what you want to achieve and what tools you're
supposed to use (e.g. what's "Rivet!", what exactly means
"include the BOINC APIs and Libraries" etc.?). Try to remember
that the prople reading your posts have no idea what you're
doing and can't see your screen;-) Also be aware that Makefiles
and automake and friends can be a bit hard to understand, espe-
cially for someone with not much experience in programming. So
don't get frustrated if you either don't understand all answers
at once or people tell you that you left out important details
in your problem description...

Regards, Jens

Antoninus Twink

Me being an absolute beginner at programming, I don't know how to
update the Makefile in Rivet! I edited the Makefile.am in the src
directory to include the BOINC APIs and Libraries, but what do you do
then? do you use autoconf to generate a Makefile.in? and then run ./
configure all overagain? cause if thats the case it didn't work.

You edit Makefile.am, and run automake. This produces Makefile.in, which
is read by the configure script (produced by autoconf) to create the
final output, namely a Makefile.

If you need any more specific help, you'll need to specify the problem
more specifically!