How does gmail hide the javascript?

Barman Brakjoller

Just curious, what techniques does gmail leverage to hide the
javascript code that their service uses to work? I've tried View
Source here and there in the page without much luck.

I have no interest (you have to trust me on this one) of hacking it or
anything, I'm just curious.

Mathias

Martin Honnen

Barman said:
Just curious, what techniques does gmail leverage to hide the
javascript code that their service uses to work? I've tried View
Source here and there in the page without much luck.

There is a frameset with two frames which has
<frameset rows="100%, *">
or similar meaning the second frame is hidden. That frame contains most
of the script being used but at least how it arrives here it is badly
unformatted, I guess they compress it before sending it to the browser.

kaeli

* Posting under the name 'Barman Brakjoller'
while signing your post 'Mathias' hardly
inspires my confidence in your identity,
let alone your sincerity.

Because "kaeli" is my real name and all...

Many of us choose to obfuscate our identities a bit on the 'net.
Doesn't mean we're all automatically going to be doing bad things.
Kinda like you never use a valid mail addy in your postings, some of us like
to add a bit more and use nicknames or handles for things online.

Not that I have a whole ton of ethics or anything, myself. I'm just sayin'.
Is there some
news-reader configuration quirk in there,
somewhere?

He posted from Google. So, no. ;)

Randy Webb

Andrew said:
(snip)

All good points kaeli, I got a bit carried away.

[ ..and I get confused (OK.. irritated as well)
when the name at the top does not match the name
at the bottom. How are you supposed to address
the person? Is there a convention? ]

Typically, if there is no other indication, use the name in the post. It
tends to be a better indication. But then again, thats my real name in
my From: so I can't say :)

I know that when I was using AOL to post with, I had my first name in
the post, but my name wasn't in the From:. Either way, I answer to
Randy, Hikk, HikksNotAtHome, Dummy and Dumb-ass so I still can't answer :)

Jim Ley

On 8 Sep 2004 06:00:18 -0700, Barman Brakjoller wrote:

** If this page is only seen once you log
in, the URL will need to include your password..
But then, I would not mess with your email
(you have to trust me on this one). ;-)

gmail does nothing special to hide their script, it's compressed, it's
reasonably competent although a little odd choices in the
communication. if any of the normal folk need invites, email me...

Jim.

kaeli

(snip)

All good points kaeli, I got a bit carried away.

[ ..and I get confused (OK.. irritated as well)
when the name at the top does not match the name
at the bottom. How are you supposed to address
the person? Is there a convention? ]

Well, I'd address them as they signed it. Especially seeing as how things
like Google and other posting helper sites (as opposed to real NG readers)
make you use a real mail addy and handle and all. For my Google account (my
server doesn't have the alt groups), it makes me use a real addy, so I use a
throw-away yahoo one I never even check. So, I'd just address someone as they
signed it if they signed it differently than it's posted as.

More and more people are using websites to hit Usenet. They don't even really
know what Usenet IS. They think they're using a website. They can't configure
a reader to use a particular name or even multi-post or follow-up or whatnot.
I've noticed all the multi-posts I've seen lately have come from websites,
which doesn't make it easy to cross-post (and some provide no mechanism at
all to do so b/c of spammers). I get very irritated by multi-posts, so that
was something I was checking out before I bit off someone's head. ;)

kaeli

I ..do hope the OP realises I was joking in
that quoted paragraph. The more I read it, the
less confident I am, that I made that clear. :-(

Well, *I* knew you were and found it pretty amusing, if that helps. *grins*

Randy Webb

Andrew said:
:) it does.

And to Mathias. Before you go getting *too*
offended at my rather odd sense of humor, you
might check kaeli's other post in which he

Last time I called Kaeli a "he", "she" 'net-slapped me but good :)

kaeli

D'Oooh! What a *dolt*!

..I am usually careful to leave out any
reference to gender when I am not sure
from the name.

My apologies, kaeli!

( My defense, pathetic as it is, is that
while most women can 'forgive and forget'
an incorrect gender assignation, a man
would *never* forget.. )

*ROFLMAO*

How very, very true.

And, for the record, I am indeed a girl.
You know, I thought the little tildes in my sig might help that. I mean, what
guy would sign their name like that, eh?
Oh, well. Maybe I need a little ASCII flower in there or something. *grins*
How about...

@--<--<

*heh*
Okay, I'm no artist.