How does that annoying Intellitxt work?

Adam

Ya know I came across some crazyness on a site the other day and found
out that it was Intellitxt. Probably you have heard of it. If not...

http://www.vibrantmedia.com/content/intellitxt_product_page/main.htm

And here is an example in use...

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=8047294

I have seen a few postings about getting rid of it. And it is easy
enough to disable it with your HOSTS file if it annoys you that much.

But I have not seen any about how in the heck might they be doing it?

Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Adam

Jim Ley

But I have not seen any about how in the heck might they be doing it?

Any ideas?

You include a javascript file which scans the page looking for the
words and adds events to them, it's what's commonly known as a piece
of piss....

If you want to do it yourself, don't bother looking at their code,
it's crap, simply look at how you iterate over the dom looking for
text nodes and simple regular expressions/indexOf's on the keywords,
then use css-p to position an advert over the top, probably with an
iframe.

Oh and boycott any site which chooses to use such inaccessible
scripts.

Jim.

Steven Post

You include a javascript file which scans the page looking for the
words and adds events to them, it's what's commonly known as a piece
of piss....

If you want to do it yourself, don't bother looking at their code,
it's crap, simply look at how you iterate over the dom looking for
text nodes and simple regular expressions/indexOf's on the keywords,
then use css-p to position an advert over the top, probably with an
iframe.

Oh and boycott any site which chooses to use such inaccessible
scripts.

Jim.

This sounds like a freaking nightmare. God save us from such crap.