how hard to program a new file explorer app?

RedGrittyBrick

Don't know if this is the right group. Looks like it could be, but my
apologies if not
Not.

I'm curious, how difficult would it be for someone to program an
application similar to MS file explorer?

Depends on the degree of similarity.

How long would that take?

A man-day to a man-year? More?

What languages would best be used

The one you know best?
The one best suited to your target platform(s)?

if one is to make it a commercial app?

Would anyone actually buy a commercial app that is "similar to MS file
explorer"?

printdude1968

Depends on the degree of similarity.

A man-day to a man-year? More?

The one you know best?
The one best suited to your target platform(s)?

Would anyone actually buy a commercial app that is "similar to MS file
explorer"?

There are way too many clones of explorer. (i.e.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/File-managers/Servant-Salamander.shtml)
I think you'd be up against a rather large wall if you were to try to
write an explorer that you can "write once and run anywhere". The
filesystem in windohs is very unlike that of Linux, I'm not a very
experience Java programmer, but I don't think it would be an easy
program to write, at least not one that will work on all the platforms
that Java runs on. Now if you were to linux (ooops, I mean limit)
yourself to one OS you might have a better chance.

Brandon McCombs

Don't know if this is the right group. Looks like it could be, but my
apologies if not

I'm curious, how difficult would it be for someone to program an
application similar to MS file explorer?

Depends on the requirements. Is this 'someone' you? If so, how good are
you? What are your skills? Are you familiar with the language being used
(see below)?
How long would that take?

As with any software project, it would be nice to have requirements
before we can answer that question. Assuming you want exact look and
feel replicated it would probably take a couple months.
What languages would best be used if one is to make it a commercial
app?

Again, what would be your requirements? Do you want it to be
cross-platform? What are your speed requirements?

You gotta give us something to go on if you want definitive answers.

Lew

Thanks for all the replies

I'm not really looking to create a clone of MS explorer, but
something
that would replace it entirely. Could be superimposed initially, but
believe no one using my app would find much in MS file explorer or
even 'wash-whiter' clones that's worth using.

I find MS Explorer to be indispensable to Windows use. Similarly, I find the
graphical file explorer(s) in Gnome or KDE to be indispensable. Luckily, they
come with the OS at no extra cost.
And yes, hopefully compatible with as many platforms as possible in
the long run, but core target is Windows base

Where people already get Explorer for free.
I'm providing detailed concept and looking for one or a few
programmers to code it. I'm bringing network, market knowledge and
Stanford reference to the table, as well as securing IP, fundraising
and revenue generation. Can pay cash + share, ideally looking for one
talented programmer interested in partnering for shares. I'm always on
the skeptical side of things, yet believe that this concept has great
potential.

You'd need to convince me. I would happily code such a thing for enough cash,
but I wouldn't want any shares. I already have plenty of Kleenex(r).
That's for the details, let me know what else you want to know.

How much would such a product cost? Why in the world would anyone want it?
Even if it were free (retail)?

Daniel Dyer

I find MS Explorer to be indispensable to Windows use. Similarly, I
find the graphical file explorer(s) in Gnome or KDE to be
indispensable. Luckily, they come with the OS at no extra cost.

Where people already get Explorer for free.

How much would such a product cost? Why in the world would anyone want
it? Even if it were free (retail)?

There is at least one company (seemingly) making money from this kind of
product, on the Mac at least (but maybe there's more of a market there
because the default OS X "Finder" is, IMO, not very good):

http://www.cocoatech.com/pf4/

Dan.

Lew

Lew, you're right, there is a risk users would not shift to my
product.

And there is a chance they would. Why? Well, sorry, can't tell you
more about product features just yet.

I'm sorry if that part wasn't clear, but I am NOT looking for business
advice here. I'm really looking for 1) general information on the
programming side of a program that looks like MSFE 2) potential
contacts I could explore in the programming world for enthusiastic
people who would accept share and cash arrangement after discussing
the concept OFFLINE. So I guess I'll go ahead and take you off the
list of interested programmers

Oh, break my heart. But I am not trying to provide business advice, I was
asking questions about your idea because I was interested. Your response
certainly killed that.

Oh, well, I guess I'll take you off my list of people who are seriously trying
to share an idea.

Lew

Daniel said:
There is at least one company (seemingly) making money from this kind of
product, on the Mac at least (but maybe there's more of a market there
because the default OS X "Finder" is, IMO, not very good):

http://www.cocoatech.com/pf4/

Thank you for your thoughtful and relevant response, something the OP should
consider.

I see a lot of such products in the PC space, too, going by names like
"commander" and whatnot. In that world the free tools seem to win.

In the Mac world, do you see a market for another similar product?