How is the best open source project to learn C++

Jianhong.Wang

Hi

I am starting to learn C++ and read "Accelerated C++". At the same
time, I would like to read or even modify some existing great C++
code.

I took a look at STL(SGI implementation) source code. It is too
complicated to me now. I assume boost would be even more challenging.

Do you have any suggestion for a good reasonable easy, small to middle
size open source C++ project for a beginner?

Thanks!

asterisc

Hi

I am starting to learn C++ and read "Accelerated C++". At the same
time, I would like to read or even modify some existing great C++
code.

I took a look at STL(SGI implementation) source code. It is too
complicated to me now. I assume boost would be even more challenging.

Do you have any suggestion for a good reasonable easy, small to middle
size open source C++ project for a beginner?

Thanks!

It is said that the way Eclipse is for learning Java, KDE is for
learning C++.

Default User

Hi

I am starting to learn C++ and read "Accelerated C++". At the same
time, I would like to read or even modify some existing great C++
code.

It's my personal belief that you don't learn to write code that way.
Create a small project of your very own and work through all the design
and implementation issues.

Brian

sean_in_raleigh

I am starting to learn C++ and read "Accelerated C++". At the same
time, I would like to read or even modify some existing great C++
code.

I took a look at STL(SGI implementation) source code. It is too
complicated to me now. I assume boost would be even more challenging.

Do you have any suggestion for a good reasonable easy, small to middle
size open source C++ project for a beginner?

You should definitely stay away from the guts of library code like
that while you're still learning, since it tends to be written
by experts using every trick in the book to get the best performance,
and who are less likely to be interested in helping beginners.

I would suggest getting into KDE programming. It's mostly written
in C++, has an enormous and friendly developer community, excellent
developer documentation, etc. The usual way to get into open
source development is to actually use the software in your day-to-day
life, and when some bug or missing feature annoys you enough, you dig
in and fix it.

Here's a quick start:

http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Development/Tutorials

Sean

asterisc said:
On Mar 12, 11:02 pm, "(e-mail address removed)"

It is said that the way Eclipse is for learning Java, KDE is for
learning C++.

Do you mean to use, or to work on?

Brian

asterisc

Do you mean to use, or to work on?

Brian

To look and to try to understand
I know that KDE makes use of a lot of patterns and it's fairly good
commented.

I think that using is the first step.
For working on KDE he have to learn some technologies like QT which
makes it really difficult for a begginer.

peter koch

Hi

I am starting to learn C++ and read "Accelerated C++". At the same
time, I would like to read or even modify some existing great C++
code.

I took a look at STL(SGI implementation) source code. It is too
complicated to me now. I assume boost would be even more challenging.

It is. What more is, these projects might have "impure code" as well
caused by a desire to port the code to old and/or obscure platforms.
The code in such projects is often rather ugly.
Do you have any suggestion for a good reasonable easy, small to middle
size open source C++ project for a beginner?

No - sorry. What I would do instead is try to find your own project or
alternatively to solve some of the problems in books by Stroustrup and
guys like him.

/Peter

dave_mikesell

Hi

I am starting to learn C++ and read "Accelerated C++". At the same
time, I would like to read or even modify some existing great C++
code.

Write your own. Choose a pet project and write it. As you learn
more, refactor it. C++ is a means to an end. Write something you
care about and it will be a fun experience.