    How do I give the user a date range so that he can check how many hits the dealer got lets say for last week OR last couple of days?

    Thanks much!

    Gary

    Garyrek, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Are you not storing this in a database? That would be the ideal solution --
    just implement a simple function that logs hits to a page, along with a time
    stamp. It is also very flexible to report on whatever other parameters you
    want to report on.

    --
    Manohar Kamath
    Editor, .netWire

    "Garyrek" <> wrote in message
    Hi

    I have a requirement where I need to make a report for each auto dealer how
    many hits they got on specified date range, so for each car detail page I
    increment the counter and total it while doing that I store the last hit
    date, this gives the total hits for the dealer BUT does not facilitate date
    range

    Manohar Kamath [MVP], Apr 1, 2004

  3. Garyrek

    Garyrek Guest

    this? I store hits counter, firsthit and lasthit in the database having this
    I could only show all the hits since creation to last hit but NOT for last
    one week or couple of days....

    Garyrek, Apr 1, 2004
  4. Then change what you're storing. The database can't magically extrapolate
    data you've already compressed.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Apr 2, 2004
  5. Store individual hits, with timestamp, that way you are more data that you
    can report on -- weekly, hourly, or even minutely :)

    Link Hit Time
    ---------- -----
    1 1 4/1/2004 1:12:23 AM
    1 2 4/1/2004 1:12:24 AM
    2 3 4/1/2004 1:12:25 AM

    Collecting more data can only help you.

    --
    Manohar Kamath
    Editor, .netWire

    Manohar Kamath [MVP], Apr 2, 2004
  6. Garyrek

    Garyrek Guest

    Hi Manohar / Aaron
    I should have mentioned this earlier, this way the table gets too big
    henceforth database, is there any other way like storing in a file or using
    pagecounter component?

    thanks

    Girish

    Garyrek, Apr 2, 2004
  7. You could have a background process summarize the rows each day into daily /
    weekly buckets, and then delete out of the heavy usage table. That way the
    table does not go out of control, it has at most a week of data at any one
    time.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Apr 2, 2004
  8. Garyrek

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:06:47 -0800, "Garyrek" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi Manohar / Aaron
    >I should have mentioned this earlier, this way the table gets too big
    >henceforth database, is there any other way like storing in a file or using
    >pagecounter component?

    Why not analyze the web server log files for thyis information
    instead?

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Apr 2, 2004
  9. Garyrek

    Garyrek Guest

    how do I analyze web server log files, any third party tool?

    Thanks

    "Jeff Cochran" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:06:47 -0800, "Garyrek" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi Manohar / Aaron
    > >I should have mentioned this earlier, this way the table gets too big
    > >henceforth database, is there any other way like storing in a file or

    using
    > >pagecounter component?

    > Why not analyze the web server log files for thyis information
    > instead?
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > >"Manohar Kamath [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > >> Store individual hits, with timestamp, that way you are more data that

    you
    > >> can report on -- weekly, hourly, or even minutely :)
    > >>
    > >> Link Hit Time
    > >> ---------- -----
    > >> 1 1 4/1/2004 1:12:23 AM
    > >> 1 2 4/1/2004 1:12:24 AM
    > >> 2 3 4/1/2004 1:12:25 AM
    > >>
    > >> Collecting more data can only help you.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Manohar Kamath
    > >> Editor, .netWire
    > >> www.dotnetwire.com
    > >>

    > >> "Garyrek" <> wrote in message

    having
    > >> this

    > >last

    message

    Garyrek, Apr 9, 2004
  10. There is a log parser available (free) from Microsoft. You can query the IIS
    logs like a database:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...familyid=8cde4028-e247-45be-bab9-ac851fc166a4

    There are other tools available try looking for "IIS Log Tool" on Google:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=IIS Log Tool

    --
    Manohar Kamath
    Editor, .netWire