How "non-standard" is _defineGetter?

Ken Tilton

Total JS noob here, but porting my hairy Common Lisp Cells (dataflow)
package -- long intro on my blog:

http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/2008/02/cells-manifesto.html

....so I am getting into some fun stuff straight-away.

I am happy to see _defineGetter_/Setter_ here:

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference:Global_Objects:Object

Those are crucial to the transparency of my hack, but there it mentions
they are "Non-standard". I would like Cells/js to be portable -- is this
something to be concerned about?

kenny

--
http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"I've never read the rulebook. My job is to catch the ball."
-- Catcher Josh Bard after making a great catch on a foul ball
he might have let drop and then sliding into the dugout, which
by the rules allowed the runners to advance one base costing his
pitcher a possible shutout because there was a runner
on third base.

"My sig is longer than most of my articles."
-- Kenny Tilton

Joost Diepenmaat

Ken Tilton said:
Total JS noob here, but porting my hairy Common Lisp Cells (dataflow)
package -- long intro on my blog:

http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/2008/02/cells-manifesto.html

...so I am getting into some fun stuff straight-away.

I am happy to see _defineGetter_/Setter_ here:

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference:Global_Objects:Object

Those are crucial to the transparency of my hack, but there it
mentions they are "Non-standard". I would like Cells/js to be portable
-- is this something to be concerned about?

Yup. It's *completely* useless for general purposes. Which (as usual)
means it doesn't work in MS Internet Explorer, which has something like
90% of the user base.

In general, for language level stuff like this, if it isn't mentioned in
ecma-262, you can more or less bet on it not being available in a
significant portion of browsers (and IE doesn't even support all of
it correctly, but AFAICT nothing really significant).

http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262.htm

Ken Tilton

Joost said:
Yup. It's *completely* useless for general purposes. Which (as usual)
means it doesn't work in MS Internet Explorer, which has something like
90% of the user base.

In general, for language level stuff like this, if it isn't mentioned in
ecma-262, you can more or less bet on it not being available in a
significant portion of browsers (and IE doesn't even support all of
it correctly, but AFAICT nothing really significant).

http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262.htm

Joost! Long time no. :) Thx, I was having no luck finding a nice solid
JS reference.

And thanks for heading me off form a dead end on the get/set deal.

kenny

--
http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"I've never read the rulebook. My job is to catch the ball."
-- Catcher Josh Bard after making a great catch on a foul ball
and then sliding into the dugout, which by the rules allowed the
runners to advance one base costing his pitcher a possible shutout
because there was a runner on third base.

"My sig is longer than most of my articles."
-- Kenny Tilton

BrodieSola