How "non-standard" is _defineGetter?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Ken Tilton, Apr 7, 2008.

  1. Ken Tilton

    Ken Tilton Guest

    Total JS noob here, but porting my hairy Common Lisp Cells (dataflow)
    package -- long intro on my blog:

    http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/2008/02/cells-manifesto.html

    ....so I am getting into some fun stuff straight-away.

    I am happy to see _defineGetter_/Setter_ here:

    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference:Global_Objects:Object

    Those are crucial to the transparency of my hack, but there it mentions
    they are "Non-standard". I would like Cells/js to be portable -- is this
    something to be concerned about?

    kenny

    --
    http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/
    http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

    "I've never read the rulebook. My job is to catch the ball."
    -- Catcher Josh Bard after making a great catch on a foul ball
    he might have let drop and then sliding into the dugout, which
    by the rules allowed the runners to advance one base costing his
    pitcher a possible shutout because there was a runner
    on third base.

    "My sig is longer than most of my articles."
    -- Kenny Tilton

    Ken Tilton, Apr 7, 2008

  2. Ken Tilton <> writes:

    > Total JS noob here, but porting my hairy Common Lisp Cells (dataflow)
    > package -- long intro on my blog:
    >
    > http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/2008/02/cells-manifesto.html
    >
    > ...so I am getting into some fun stuff straight-away.
    >
    > I am happy to see _defineGetter_/Setter_ here:
    >
    > http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference:Global_Objects:Object
    >
    > Those are crucial to the transparency of my hack, but there it
    > mentions they are "Non-standard". I would like Cells/js to be portable
    > -- is this something to be concerned about?

    Yup. It's *completely* useless for general purposes. Which (as usual)
    means it doesn't work in MS Internet Explorer, which has something like
    90% of the user base.

    In general, for language level stuff like this, if it isn't mentioned in
    ecma-262, you can more or less bet on it not being available in a
    significant portion of browsers (and IE doesn't even support all of
    it correctly, but AFAICT nothing really significant).

    http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262.htm

    Joost Diepenmaat, Apr 7, 2008

  3. Ken Tilton

    Ken Tilton Guest

    Joost Diepenmaat wrote:
    > Ken Tilton <> writes:
    >

    >>Total JS noob here, but porting my hairy Common Lisp Cells (dataflow)
    >>package -- long intro on my blog:
    >>
    >> http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/2008/02/cells-manifesto.html
    >>
    >>...so I am getting into some fun stuff straight-away.
    >>
    >>I am happy to see _defineGetter_/Setter_ here:
    >>
    >>http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference:Global_Objects:Object
    >>
    >>Those are crucial to the transparency of my hack, but there it
    >>mentions they are "Non-standard". I would like Cells/js to be portable
    >>-- is this something to be concerned about?

    > Yup. It's *completely* useless for general purposes. Which (as usual)
    > means it doesn't work in MS Internet Explorer, which has something like
    > 90% of the user base.
    >
    > In general, for language level stuff like this, if it isn't mentioned in
    > ecma-262, you can more or less bet on it not being available in a
    > significant portion of browsers (and IE doesn't even support all of
    > it correctly, but AFAICT nothing really significant).
    >
    > http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262.htm

    Joost! Long time no. :) Thx, I was having no luck finding a nice solid
    JS reference.

    And thanks for heading me off form a dead end on the get/set deal.

    kenny

    Ken Tilton, Apr 7, 2008