    Any thoughts on how to approach this?

    Best regards,
    Bob
    BobAalsma, Sep 21, 2012

  2. On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 8:57 AM, BobAalsma <> wrote:
    > I'd like to write a programme that will be offered as a web service (Django), in which the user will point to a specific URL and the programme will be used to read the text of that URL.
    >
    > This text can be behind a username/password, but for several reasons, I don't want to know those.
    >
    > So I would like to set up a situation where the user logs in (if/when appropriate), points out the URL to my programme and my programme would then be able to read that particular text.
    >
    > I'm aware this may sound fishy. It should not be: I want the user to be fully aware and in control of this process.
    >
    > Any thoughts on how to approach this?

    There are several python modules to get web pages. urllib, urllib2
    and another called requests.
    (http://kennethreitz.com/requests-python-http-module.html) Check
    those out

    > Best regards,
    > Bob

    Joel Goldstick
    Joel Goldstick, Sep 21, 2012

  3. BobAalsma

    BobAalsma Guest

    Op vrijdag 21 september 2012 15:23:14 UTC+2 schreef Joel Goldstick het volgende:
    > On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 8:57 AM, BobAalsma wrote:
    >
    > > I'd like to write a programme that will be offered as a web service (Django), in which the user will point to a specific URL and the programme will be used to read the text of that URL.

    > > This text can be behind a username/password, but for several reasons, I don't want to know those.

    > > So I would like to set up a situation where the user logs in (if/when appropriate), points out the URL to my programme and my programme would then be able to read that particular text.

    > > I'm aware this may sound fishy. It should not be: I want the user to be fully aware and in control of this process.

    > > Any thoughts on how to approach this?

    > There are several python modules to get web pages. urllib, urllib2
    >
    > and another called requests.
    >
    > (http://kennethreitz.com/requests-python-http-module.html) Check
    >
    > those out
    >

    > > Best regards,

    > > Bob

    > > --

    > Joel Goldstick

    Thanks, Joel, yes, but as far as I'm aware these would all require the Python programme to have the user's username and password (or "credentials"), which I wanted to avoid.
    BobAalsma, Sep 21, 2012
  4. BobAalsma

    BobAalsma, Sep 21, 2012
  5. BobAalsma

    Jerry Hill Guest

    On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM, BobAalsma <> wrote:
    > Thanks, Joel, yes, but as far as I'm aware these would all require the Python programme to have the user's username and password (or "credentials"), which I wanted to avoid.

    No matter what you do, your web service is going to have to
    authenticate with the remote web site. The details of that
    authentication are going to vary with each remote web site you want to
    connect to.

    --
    Jerry
    Jerry Hill, Sep 21, 2012
  6. BobAalsma

    BobAalsma Guest

    Op vrijdag 21 september 2012 15:36:11 UTC+2 schreef Jerry Hill het volgende:
    > On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM, BobAalsma wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks, Joel, yes, but as far as I'm aware these would all require the Python programme to have the user's username and password (or "credentials"), which I wanted to avoid.

    > No matter what you do, your web service is going to have to
    >
    > authenticate with the remote web site. The details of that
    >
    > authentication are going to vary with each remote web site you want to
    >
    > connect to.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Jerry

    Hmm, from the previous posts I get the impression that I could best solve this by asking the user for the specific combination of username, password and URL + promising not to keep any of that...

    OK, that does sound doable - thank you all

    Bob
    BobAalsma, Sep 21, 2012
  7. BobAalsma

    BobAalsma, Sep 21, 2012
  8. On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM, BobAalsma <> wrote:
    > Op vrijdag 21 september 2012 15:36:11 UTC+2 schreef Jerry Hill het volgende:
    >> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM, BobAalsma wrote:
    >>
    >> > Thanks, Joel, yes, but as far as I'm aware these would all require the Python programme to have the user's username and password (or "credentials"), which I wanted to avoid.

    >> No matter what you do, your web service is going to have to
    >>
    >> authenticate with the remote web site. The details of that
    >>
    >> authentication are going to vary with each remote web site you want to
    >>
    >> connect to.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Jerry

    > Hmm, from the previous posts I get the impression that I could best solve this by asking the user for the specific combination of username, password and URL + promising not to keep any of that...
    >
    > OK, that does sound doable - thank you all

    I recommend that you write your program to read pages that are not
    protected. Once you get that working, you can go back and figure out
    how you want to get the username/password from your 'friends' and add
    that in. Also look up Beautiful Soup (version 4) for a great library
    to parse the pages that you retrieve

    > Bob

    Joel Goldstick
    Joel Goldstick, Sep 21, 2012
  9. BobAalsma

    Peter Otten Guest

    BobAalsma wrote:

    > Hmm, from the previous posts I get the impression that I could best solve
    > this by asking the user for the specific combination of username, password
    > and URL + promising not to keep any of that...
    >
    > OK, that does sound doable - thank you all

    Hmm, promising seems doable, but keeping?
    Peter Otten, Sep 21, 2012
  10. BobAalsma

    David Smith Guest

    On 2012-09-21 08:57, BobAalsma wrote:
    > This text can be behind a username/password, but for several reasons, I don't want to know those.
    >
    > So I would like to set up a situation where the user logs in (if/when appropriate), points out the URL to my programme and my programme would then be able to read that particular text.

    I do this from a bat file that I will later translate to Python.
    I tell my work wiki which file I want. I use chrome, so for every new
    session I'm asked for my credentials. However, that is all transparent
    to my bat file.

    For that matter, when I download a new build from part of another bat
    file, I use Firefox and never see the credential exchange.

    I wouldn't expect any different behavior using Python.
    David Smith, Sep 21, 2012
  11. On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 09:36:08 -0400, Jerry Hill <>

    > On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM, BobAalsma <> wrote:
    > > Thanks, Joel, yes, but as far as I'm aware these would all require the Python programme to have the user's username and password (or "credentials"), which I wanted to avoid.

    > No matter what you do, your web service is going to have to
    > authenticate with the remote web site. The details of that
    > authentication are going to vary with each remote web site you want to
    > connect to.

    Hmmm, convoluted but presuming the "login" third party site uses
    cookies... Would it be possible to use Javascript on the client "copy"
    the HTML from the third-party and then transmit it to the application
    rather than having the application trying to do a direct fetch given
    just the URL?

    This should keep the authentication local to the client machine.

    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    Dennis Lee Bieber, Sep 21, 2012
  12. BobAalsma

    BobAalsma Guest

    Op vrijdag 21 september 2012 17:28:02 UTC+2 schreef David Smith het volgende:
    > On 2012-09-21 08:57, BobAalsma wrote:
    >
    > > This text can be behind a username/password, but for several reasons, I don't want to know those.

    > > So I would like to set up a situation where the user logs in (if/when appropriate), points out the URL to my programme and my programme would then be able to read that particular text.

    > I do this from a bat file that I will later translate to Python.
    >
    > I tell my work wiki which file I want. I use chrome, so for every new
    >
    > session I'm asked for my credentials. However, that is all transparent
    >
    > to my bat file.
    >

    > For that matter, when I download a new build from part of another bat
    >
    > file, I use Firefox and never see the credential exchange.
    >

    > I wouldn't expect any different behavior using Python.

    Umm, David, sorry, you've lost me but I think this could be a good solution - at least the division in client side/server side sounds like what I'm looking for. Could you please elaborate?

    Bob
    BobAalsma, Sep 22, 2012
  13. BobAalsma

    BobAalsma, Sep 22, 2012
  14. BobAalsma

    BobAalsma Guest

    Op vrijdag 21 september 2012 22:10:04 UTC+2 schreef Dennis Lee Bieber het volgende:
    > On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 09:36:08 -0400, Jerry Hill

    > > On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM, BobAalsma wrote:

    > > > Thanks, Joel, yes, but as far as I'm aware these would all require the Python programme to have the user's username and password (or "credentials"), which I wanted to avoid.

    > > No matter what you do, your web service is going to have to

    > > authenticate with the remote web site. The details of that

    > > authentication are going to vary with each remote web site you want to

    > > connect to.

    > Hmmm, convoluted but presuming the "login" third party site uses
    >
    > cookies... Would it be possible to use Javascript on the client "copy"
    >
    > the HTML from the third-party and then transmit it to the application
    >
    > rather than having the application trying to do a direct fetch given
    >
    > just the URL?
    >

    > This should keep the authentication local to the client machine.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    >
    > wlfraed@....com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

    Wulfraed, yes, as with David's proposal: this sounds good, but I wouldn't know the first thing about Javascript...
    I'm also concerned that both solutions would seem to imply distributing software (or "software") to the clients systems.
    Hmm.

    Bob
    BobAalsma, Sep 22, 2012
  15. BobAalsma

    BobAalsma, Sep 22, 2012
  16. On 09/21/2012 02:57 PM, BobAalsma wrote:
    > I'd like to write a programme that will be offered as a web service (Django), in which the user will point to a specific URL and the programme will be used to read the text of that URL.
    >
    > This text can be behind a username/password, but for several reasons, I don't want to know those.
    >
    > So I would like to set up a situation where the user logs in (if/when appropriate), points out the URL to my programme and my programme would then be able to read that particular text.
    >
    > I'm aware this may sound fishy. It should not be: I want the user to be fully aware and in control of this process.
    >
    > Any thoughts on how to approach this?

    What services are you planning to interface with? Many services (twitter
    being a notable pioneer) have systems for external (web) applications to
    log in without being given a user's username & password.

    I think it's possible to load a page in an iframe and access it using
    JavaScript/DOM from the parent page. This is probably what you'll want
    to do.

    You say you don't know the first thing about JavaScript. Well, my
    friend, if you're developing for the web, learn JavaScript, or,
    depending on your situation, hire a front end developer who knows
    JavaScript. You can only do so much on the web without using JavaScript.
    I recently discovered this guide to learning JS; it sounds reasonable:
    http://javascriptissexy.com/how-to-learn-javascript-properly/

    http://pyjs.org/ may be worth a look too.

    -- Thomas

    PS: Most of your messages appear to be both To: and Cc: this list.
    Please stop sending each message twice, it's rather distracting.
    Thomas Jollans, Sep 22, 2012
  17. On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 04:38:08 -0700 (PDT), BobAalsma
    <> declaimed the following in
    gmane.comp.python.general:

    > Wulfraed, yes, as with David's proposal: this sounds good, but I wouldn't know the first thing about Javascript...
    > I'm also concerned that both solutions would seem to imply distributing software (or "software") to the clients systems.
    > Hmm.

    Unless your clients are running some ancient text-only browser, they
    already have the Javascript interpreter running. We aren't talking about
    downloading a Java program that then runs as a process on the client's
    machine. If your client's ever visit (since I have it up at the moment)
    the Amazon forum pages, they are already running Javascript pages.

    Here's the start of the page source as an example (don't ask me what
    it does):

    <head>
    <script type="text/javascript">/* <![CDATA[ */var ue_t0=ue_t0||+new
    Date();/* ]]> */</script>
    <script type='text/javascript'>/* <![CDATA[ */
    var ue_wl_jserr = 1,
    ue_csm = window;
    (function(a){a.ue_err={ec:0,pec:0,ts:0,erl:[],mxe:50,startTimer:function(){a.ue_err.ts++;setInterval(function(){a.ue&&(a.ue_err.pec<a.ue_err.ec)&&a.uex("at");a.ue_err.pec=a.ue_err.ec},10000)}};a.ueLogError=(function(){function
    b(c,e,d){if(a.ue_err.ec>a.ue_err.mxe){return}a.ue_err.ec++;a.ue.log({m:c,f:e,l:d,s:""},"jserr");return
    false}if(a.ue_wl_jserr){window.onerror=b}return
    function(c){if(a.ue_err.ec>a.ue_err.mxe){return}a.ue_err.ec++;a.ue_err.erl.push(c)}})()})(ue_csm);

    /* ]]> */</script>
    Dennis Lee Bieber, Sep 22, 2012
  18. BobAalsma

    BobAalsma Guest

    Op vrijdag 21 september 2012 16:15:30 UTC+2 schreef Joel Goldstick het volgende:
    > On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM, BobAalsma wrote:

    > >> No matter what you do, your web service is going to have to

    > >> authenticate with the remote web site. The details of that

    > >> authentication are going to vary with each remote web site you want to

    > >> connect to.

    > >> --

    > >> Jerry

    > > Hmm, from the previous posts I get the impression that I could best solve this by asking the user for the specific combination of username, password and URL + promising not to keep any of that...

    > > OK, that does sound doable - thank you all

    > I recommend that you write your program to read pages that are not
    >
    > protected. Once you get that working, you can go back and figure out
    >
    > how you want to get the username/password from your 'friends' and add
    >
    > that in. Also look up Beautiful Soup (version 4) for a great library
    >
    > to parse the pages that you retrieve
    >

    > > Bob

    > > --

    > Joel Goldstick

    Joel,

    I've spent some time with this but don't really understand my results - some help would be appreciated.
    I've built a tester that will read my LinkedIn home page, which is password protected.
    When I use that method for reading other people's pages, the program is redirected to the LinkedIn login page.
    When I paste the URLs for the other people's pages in any browser, the requested pages are shown.

    Bob
    BobAalsma, Oct 1, 2012
  19. On Monday, 1 October 2012 19:49:27 UTC+5:30, BobAalsma wrote:
    > Op vrijdag 21 september 2012 16:15:30 UTC+2 schreef Joel Goldstick het volgende:

    > > > Hmm, from the previous posts I get the impression that I could best solve this by asking the user for the specific combination of username, password and URL + promising not to keep any of that...

    > > > OK, that does sound doable - thank you all

    > > I recommend that you write your program to read pages that are not

    > > protected. Once you get that working, you can go back and figure out

    > > how you want to get the username/password from your 'friends' and add

    > > that in. Also look up Beautiful Soup (version 4) for a great library

    > > to parse the pages that you retrieve

    > > > Bob

    > > > --

    > > --

    > > Joel Goldstick

    > Joel,
    >

    > I've spent some time with this but don't really understand my results - some help would be appreciated.
    >
    > I've built a tester that will read my LinkedIn home page, which is password protected.
    >
    > When I use that method for reading other people's pages, the program is redirected to the LinkedIn login page.
    >
    > When I paste the URLs for the other people's pages in any browser, the requested pages are shown.
    >

    > Bob

    Not all the authentication information is in the URL.
    Some of it is in cookies in the browser.
    Ramchandra Apte, Oct 2, 2012