    newsgroups fronting the title, usually as part of their display name, but I
    can't see anywhere else how this is actually validated? What's to stop
    anyone from changing their name to include "[MVP]"

    Janaka, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Janaka

    Ted Timmons Guest

    There is no set formula, script, or plan you can follow that will guarantee
    that you will receive an award. If you have recently begun participating in
    a Microsoft peer-based community, do not expect to move into a leadership
    role overnight. Earning the respect of your peers and earning recognition
    from Microsoft takes time. If you have been participating for a while, you
    may already be on your way to achieving MVP status.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;mvpfaqs

    Ted Timmons, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Janaka

    Steven H Guest

    On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 16:48:31 +0100, Janaka wrote:

    > What's to stop anyone from changing their name to include "[MVP]"

    nothing but respect for the title

    anybody can stick an "MVP" on their name, but my bet is that they will soon
    be found out.

    the lovely thing about usenet is that everything is archived, all it takes
    is one person to punch in your name in news.google.com and all your flame
    wars, arrogance & just plain stupidness comes back to haunt you.

    Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic

    ..net Geek
    Steven H, Jun 2, 2004
  4. Janaka

    Janaka Guest

    Janaka, Jun 2, 2004
  5. Janaka

    Sahil Malik Guest

    Ok so what prevents me (a non-mvp) from using a MVP name of a real MVP and
    posting porn on these newsgroups?

    - Sahil Malik
    Independent Consultant
    You can reach me thru my blog - http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/sahilmalik/

    "Janaka" <> wrote in message
    > I would expect an award of this caliber to take time and recognition to
    > achieve. Thanks for the link Ted.
    >
    > As with anything people will get caught out lying about their MVP

    status...
    > and properly flamed! I see the award is done yearly and the full roster

    of

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-gb;mvpaward&style=toc#faq1183

    Sahil Malik, Jun 18, 2004
  6. "Sahil Malik" <> wrote in message
    > Ok so what prevents me (a non-mvp) from using a MVP name of a real MVP and
    > posting porn on these newsgroups?

    Nothing. It has happened actually(though it was before the particular person
    was an MVP), however most people can tell that its not the actual person
    making the posts.
    Daniel O'Connell [C# MVP], Jun 18, 2004