How to become a MVP

Janaka

How does one get the title of MVP? I've seen a couple posters on various
newsgroups fronting the title, usually as part of their display name, but I
can't see anywhere else how this is actually validated? What's to stop
anyone from changing their name to include "[MVP]"

Ted Timmons

There is no set formula, script, or plan you can follow that will guarantee
that you will receive an award. If you have recently begun participating in
a Microsoft peer-based community, do not expect to move into a leadership
role overnight. Earning the respect of your peers and earning recognition
from Microsoft takes time. If you have been participating for a while, you
may already be on your way to achieving MVP status.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;mvpfaqs

Steven H

What's to stop anyone from changing their name to include "[MVP]"

nothing but respect for the title

anybody can stick an "MVP" on their name, but my bet is that they will soon
be found out.

the lovely thing about usenet is that everything is archived, all it takes
is one person to punch in your name in news.google.com and all your flame
wars, arrogance & just plain stupidness comes back to haunt you.

Daniel O'Connell [C# MVP]

Sahil Malik said:
Ok so what prevents me (a non-mvp) from using a MVP name of a real MVP and
posting porn on these newsgroups?

Nothing. It has happened actually(though it was before the particular person
was an MVP), however most people can tell that its not the actual person
making the posts.