how to best approach a massive list?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by richard, Nov 7, 2007.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    I've been working on a massive project for several months. Basically it is
    all primarily text with the display showing up in table format.

    Basically, one table would show the 3 primary items. Then the second table
    would show a calendar, with 3 rows of info. The calendar would be a simple
    weekly report thing. Not daily.

    Instead of showing each and every item on one huge page, I was thinking of
    perhaps showing just one. The user would click on the list of "names" and
    then a table would show up displaying the findings.

    Question is, which format would be best suited for this? I am kind of
    leaning towards PHP but know diddly squat about it. Any one have any clues
    or perhaps a website that might show something similar?

    Yeah I know you guys are gonna ask for a link to the material. Don't have
    one yet. I know it's sketchy but it's the best I can do for now.

    But here's one idea I had played with.

    <table><tr><td>item1</td><td>item2</td><td>item3</td></tr></table>
    <table>
    <tr>January</td>
    <tr><td>1</td><td>8</td><td>15</td><td>22</td><td>29</td></tr>
    <tr><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td></tr>
    </table>

    Multiply that 1000 times and you soon see just how huge of a page that
    would be. I would not be showing all 12 months, at the most, maybe 6.

    <flame>
    richard, Nov 7, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. richard

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 07 Nov 2007 18:05:05
    GMT richard scribed:

    > I've been working on a massive project for several months. Basically
    > it is all primarily text with the display showing up in table format.
    >
    > Basically, one table would show the 3 primary items. Then the second
    > table would show a calendar, with 3 rows of info. The calendar would
    > be a simple weekly report thing. Not daily.
    >
    > Instead of showing each and every item on one huge page, I was
    > thinking of perhaps showing just one. The user would click on the list
    > of "names" and then a table would show up displaying the findings.
    >
    > Question is, which format would be best suited for this? I am kind of
    > leaning towards PHP but know diddly squat about it. Any one have any
    > clues or perhaps a website that might show something similar?
    >
    > Yeah I know you guys are gonna ask for a link to the material. Don't
    > have one yet. I know it's sketchy but it's the best I can do for now.
    >
    > But here's one idea I had played with.
    >
    > <table><tr><td>item1</td><td>item2</td><td>item3</td></tr></table>
    > <table>
    > <tr>January</td>
    > <tr><td>1</td><td>8</td><td>15</td><td>22</td><td>29</td></tr>
    > <tr><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td></tr>
    > </table>
    >
    > Multiply that 1000 times and you soon see just how huge of a page that
    > would be. I would not be showing all 12 months, at the most, maybe 6.
    >
    > <flame>


    Er, 1000 times what you've shown would be 1000 months, not 6. Math
    impaired?

    --
    Bone Ur
    Cavemen have formidable pheromones.
    Bone Ur, Nov 7, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. richard

    mbstevens Guest

    richard wrote:
    > I've been working on a massive project for several months. Basically it is
    > all primarily text with the display showing up in table format.
    >
    > Basically, one table would show the 3 primary items. Then the second table
    > would show a calendar, with 3 rows of info. The calendar would be a simple
    > weekly report thing. Not daily.
    >
    > Instead of showing each and every item on one huge page, I was thinking of
    > perhaps showing just one. The user would click on the list of "names" and
    > then a table would show up displaying the findings.
    >
    > Question is, which format would be best suited for this? I am kind of
    > leaning towards PHP but know diddly squat about it.


    Anyone reading the post so far is likely to be confused.
    There are tables on a webpage, indicated by <table> and there are tables
    on databases like SQL; they are different things, and each has its own format.
    PHP is not a format, it is a programming language that can be used for
    programming web pages along with SQL or other databases.


    > Any one have any clues
    > or perhaps a website that might show something similar?
    >
    > Yeah I know you guys are gonna ask for a link to the material. Don't have
    > one yet. I know it's sketchy but it's the best I can do for now.
    >
    > But here's one idea I had played with.
    >
    > <table><tr><td>item1</td><td>item2</td><td>item3</td></tr></table>
    > <table>



    > <tr>January</td>

    ....Whup! That dog won't hunt.


    > <tr><td>1</td><td>8</td><td>15</td><td>22</td><td>29</td></tr>
    > <tr><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td></tr>
    > </table>
    >
    > Multiply that 1000 times and you soon see just how huge of a page that
    > would be. I would not be showing all 12 months, at the most, maybe 6.


    Use PHP, Perl, Ruby, or Python to access a data base and rewrite pages
    on the fly. Google each of those languages along with HTML, SQL, and CGI.
    Rewrite the page given initial user input.
    mbstevens, Nov 7, 2007
    #3
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 19:43:19 +0000 (UTC), Bone Ur wrote:

    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 07 Nov 2007 18:05:05
    > GMT richard scribed:
    >
    >> I've been working on a massive project for several months. Basically
    >> it is all primarily text with the display showing up in table format.
    >>
    >> Basically, one table would show the 3 primary items. Then the second
    >> table would show a calendar, with 3 rows of info. The calendar would
    >> be a simple weekly report thing. Not daily.
    >>
    >> Instead of showing each and every item on one huge page, I was
    >> thinking of perhaps showing just one. The user would click on the list
    >> of "names" and then a table would show up displaying the findings.
    >>
    >> Question is, which format would be best suited for this? I am kind of
    >> leaning towards PHP but know diddly squat about it. Any one have any
    >> clues or perhaps a website that might show something similar?
    >>
    >> Yeah I know you guys are gonna ask for a link to the material. Don't
    >> have one yet. I know it's sketchy but it's the best I can do for now.
    >>
    >> But here's one idea I had played with.
    >>
    >> <table><tr><td>item1</td><td>item2</td><td>item3</td></tr></table>
    >> <table>
    >> <tr>January</td>
    >> <tr><td>1</td><td>8</td><td>15</td><td>22</td><td>29</td></tr>
    >> <tr><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td></tr>
    >> </table>
    >>
    >> Multiply that 1000 times and you soon see just how huge of a page that
    >> would be. I would not be showing all 12 months, at the most, maybe 6.
    >>
    >> <flame>

    >
    > Er, 1000 times what you've shown would be 1000 months, not 6. Math
    > impaired?


    Yes you are apparently.
    I was speaking of 1,000 times the data shown, not months.
    richard, Nov 7, 2007
    #4
  5. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 16:07:02 -0600, mbstevens wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >> I've been working on a massive project for several months. Basically it is
    >> all primarily text with the display showing up in table format.
    >>
    >> Basically, one table would show the 3 primary items. Then the second table
    >> would show a calendar, with 3 rows of info. The calendar would be a simple
    >> weekly report thing. Not daily.
    >>
    >> Instead of showing each and every item on one huge page, I was thinking of
    >> perhaps showing just one. The user would click on the list of "names" and
    >> then a table would show up displaying the findings.
    >>
    >> Question is, which format would be best suited for this? I am kind of
    >> leaning towards PHP but know diddly squat about it.

    >
    > Anyone reading the post so far is likely to be confused.
    > There are tables on a webpage, indicated by <table> and there are tables
    > on databases like SQL; they are different things, and each has its own format.
    > PHP is not a format, it is a programming language that can be used for
    > programming web pages along with SQL or other databases.
    >
    >
    >> Any one have any clues
    >> or perhaps a website that might show something similar?
    >>
    >> Yeah I know you guys are gonna ask for a link to the material. Don't have
    >> one yet. I know it's sketchy but it's the best I can do for now.
    >>
    >> But here's one idea I had played with.
    >>
    >> <table><tr><td>item1</td><td>item2</td><td>item3</td></tr></table>
    >> <table>

    >
    >
    >> <tr>January</td>

    > ...Whup! That dog won't hunt.
    >


    Wow! Hey look typo flame!



    >
    >> <tr><td>1</td><td>8</td><td>15</td><td>22</td><td>29</td></tr>
    >> <tr><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td></tr>
    >> </table>
    >>
    >> Multiply that 1000 times and you soon see just how huge of a page that
    >> would be. I would not be showing all 12 months, at the most, maybe 6.

    >
    > Use PHP, Perl, Ruby, or Python to access a data base and rewrite pages
    > on the fly. Google each of those languages along with HTML, SQL, and CGI.
    > Rewrite the page given initial user input.


    sanku muchos graxias comrade.
    richard, Nov 7, 2007
    #5
  6. richard

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:05:05 -0600, richard <> wrote:

    >I've been working on a massive project for several months. Basically it is
    >all primarily text with the display showing up in table format.
    >
    >Basically, one table would show the 3 primary items. Then the second table
    >would show a calendar, with 3 rows of info. The calendar would be a simple
    >weekly report thing. Not daily.


    How many "blocks" do you need to show in the second table _at_one_time_?

    If this is a lot, maybe because you need to print it in one section,
    then just generate the tables easily with PHP or whatever and output
    them as a very long piece of HTML. Make sure it's well-formed and valid
    HTML, where each <table> itself is quite short. If you do that, it'll
    still be "reasonably" quick to download and render, even for a large
    amount of data. If a <table> stretches over the whole of a very long
    page, then it can be slow to load.

    If you only ever ned to show one "block" at a time, then investigate
    AJAX.
    Andy Dingley, Nov 7, 2007
    #6
  7. richard

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 07 Nov 2007 23:45:47 GMT
    richard scribed:

    >>> But here's one idea I had played with.
    >>>
    >>> <table><tr><td>item1</td><td>item2</td><td>item3</td></tr></table>
    >>> <table>
    >>> <tr>January</td>
    >>> <tr><td>1</td><td>8</td><td>15</td><td>22</td><td>29</td></tr>
    >>> <tr><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td></tr>
    >>> </table>
    >>>
    >>> Multiply that 1000 times and you soon see just how huge of a page that
    >>> would be. I would not be showing all 12 months, at the most, maybe 6.
    >>>
    >>> <flame>

    >>
    >> Er, 1000 times what you've shown would be 1000 months, not 6. Math
    >> impaired?

    >
    > Yes you are apparently.
    > I was speaking of 1,000 times the data shown, not months.


    Oh, I see. -Grammar impaired.

    --
    Bone Ur
    Cavemen have formidable pheromones.
    Bone Ur, Nov 8, 2007
    #7
  8. richard

    John Hosking Guest

    Bone Ur wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 07 Nov 2007 23:45:47 GMT
    > richard scribed:
    >
    >>>> But here's one idea I had played with.
    >>>>
    >>>> <table><tr><td>item1</td><td>item2</td><td>item3</td></tr></table>
    >>>> <table>
    >>>> <tr>January</td>
    >>>> <tr><td>1</td><td>8</td><td>15</td><td>22</td><td>29</td></tr>
    >>>> <tr><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td></tr>
    >>>> </table>
    >>>>
    >>>> Multiply that 1000 times and you soon see just how huge of a page that
    >>>> would be. I would not be showing all 12 months, at the most, maybe 6.


    Multiply it 2,645.29 times and you soon wonder why you're doing it.

    >>>>
    >>>> <flame>


    What's this for, to grill a hamburger with? To warm my heart's cockles?

    >>> Er, 1000 times what you've shown would be 1000 months, not 6. Math
    >>> impaired?

    >> Yes you are apparently.
    >> I was speaking of 1,000 times the data shown, not months.


    ....in which the data shown seems to be for one month...

    >
    > Oh, I see. -Grammar impaired.


    If he's told you once, he's told you: 1,000 times.
    ;-)

    --
    John
    Pondering the value of the UIP: http://improve-usenet.org/
    John Hosking, Nov 8, 2007
    #8
  9. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 23:53:01 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

    > On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:05:05 -0600, richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>I've been working on a massive project for several months. Basically it is
    >>all primarily text with the display showing up in table format.
    >>
    >>Basically, one table would show the 3 primary items. Then the second table
    >>would show a calendar, with 3 rows of info. The calendar would be a simple
    >>weekly report thing. Not daily.

    >
    > How many "blocks" do you need to show in the second table _at_one_time_?
    >
    > If this is a lot, maybe because you need to print it in one section,
    > then just generate the tables easily with PHP or whatever and output
    > them as a very long piece of HTML. Make sure it's well-formed and valid
    > HTML, where each <table> itself is quite short. If you do that, it'll
    > still be "reasonably" quick to download and render, even for a large
    > amount of data. If a <table> stretches over the whole of a very long
    > page, then it can be slow to load.
    >
    > If you only ever ned to show one "block" at a time, then investigate
    > AJAX.


    One of my other ideas is to go ahead and the table thing as above but use
    <gasp> iframes. The first table would be on the main "index" page, then the
    2nd table shows up on the iframe. Using only a handfull of pages and
    anchors, paging would not be all that much of a problem.
    richard, Nov 8, 2007
    #9
  10. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed richard <> writing
    in news::

    > I've been working on a massive project for several months. Basically
    > it is all primarily text with the display showing up in table format.
    >
    > Basically, one table would show the 3 primary items. Then the second
    > table would show a calendar, with 3 rows of info. The calendar would
    > be a simple weekly report thing. Not daily.
    >
    > Instead of showing each and every item on one huge page, I was
    > thinking of perhaps showing just one. The user would click on the list
    > of "names" and then a table would show up displaying the findings.
    >
    > Question is, which format would be best suited for this? I am kind of
    > leaning towards PHP but know diddly squat about it. Any one have any
    > clues or perhaps a website that might show something similar?
    >


    Server side with a database. Loop through the records with a link to
    the data, then use the querystring object to query the db table for that
    record(s). Any server side language will do, and a database. Probably
    PHP and Mysql or you could go with ASP and Access.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Please respond to the group so others can share
    Adrienne Boswell, Nov 8, 2007
    #10
  11. richard

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 08 Nov 2007 02:08:25
    GMT John Hosking scribed:

    >>>>> But here's one idea I had played with.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> <table><tr><td>item1</td><td>item2</td><td>item3</td></tr></table>
    >>>>> <table>
    >>>>> <tr>January</td>
    >>>>> <tr><td>1</td><td>8</td><td>15</td><td>22</td><td>29</td></tr>
    >>>>> <tr><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td><td>99</td></t
    >>>>> r>
    >>>>> </table>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Multiply that 1000 times and you soon see just how huge of a page
    >>>>> that would be. I would not be showing all 12 months, at the most,
    >>>>> maybe 6.

    >
    > Multiply it 2,645.29 times and you soon wonder why you're doing it.


    Hey, math always makes me wonder why I'm doing it...

    >>>>>
    >>>>> <flame>

    >
    > What's this for, to grill a hamburger with? To warm my heart's
    > cockles?


    'Course. Ya can't go around with cold cockles, can ya?

    >>>> Er, 1000 times what you've shown would be 1000 months, not 6. Math
    >>>> impaired?
    >>> Yes you are apparently.
    >>> I was speaking of 1,000 times the data shown, not months.

    >
    > ...in which the data shown seems to be for one month...
    >
    >>
    >> Oh, I see. -Grammar impaired.

    >
    > If he's told you once, he's told you: 1,000 times.
    > ;-)


    It must be the echo...

    --
    Bone Ur
    Cavemen have formidable pheromones.
    Bone Ur, Nov 8, 2007
    #11
  12. richard

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 8 Nov, 04:12, richard <> wrote:

    > One of my other ideas is to go ahead and the table thing as above but use
    > <gasp> iframes.


    Poor man's AJAX

    Use some JavaScript to set the .src property on the <iframe> and away
    you go. Works fine (assuming JS available)
    Andy Dingley, Nov 8, 2007
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Tony Burch

    [Ad] FPGA Boards Massive Sale

    Tony Burch, Oct 31, 2004, in forum: VHDL
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,437
    Tony Burch
    Oct 31, 2004
  2. Craig R. Dunn
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    901
    Craig R. Dunn
    Aug 22, 2003
  3. =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZyBIdXJsbWFu?=

    Massive ASP.Net Forms Authentication vulnerability

    =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZyBIdXJsbWFu?=, Sep 30, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    730
    Tom Kaminski [MVP]
    Oct 6, 2004
  4. jason
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    110
    jason
    Oct 9, 2003
  5. DrKen

    Drop down with MASSIVE list

    DrKen, Jun 30, 2008, in forum: Javascript
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    82
    Dr J R Stockton
    Jul 16, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page