how to call an inherited, template class constructor from initializerlist of an inheriting, non-temp

l.s.rockfan

Hello,

how do i have to call an inherited, templated class constructor from the
initializer list of the inheriting, non-templated class constructor?

example code:

template<typename T>
class A
{
protected:
sometype* something;
T something_else; /*gives the template some sense here*/
public:
A(sometype* param) : something(param) {};
}

class B : public A<int>
{
public:
B(sometype* param) : A(param) {}; // <== Compiler Error

/* further member functions */
}

The compiler always tries to identify A as a member variable not being
found, instead of the base class' constructor.

Salt_Peter

[...]

The following is a class:

class A { };

this is not:

class A { }

The following declares a class and defines a constructor:

class A
{
A() { }
};

or

// A.hpp (missing include guards)
class A
{
A(); // declaration only
};

// A.cpp
A::A() { } // definition

Basically, a semicolon denotes a declaration.

l.s.rockfan

Salt_Peter said:
The following is a class:

class A { };

this is not:

class A { }

The following declares a class and defines a constructor:

class A
{
A() { }
};

or

// A.hpp (missing include guards)
class A
{
A(); // declaration only
};

// A.cpp
A::A() { } // definition

Basically, a semicolon denotes a declaration.

That's not the point. I just forgot the semicolons in the example.

I found out, that my problem is not only specific to explicit
constructor calls, but occurs everytime I want to call a polymorph
member function of the base class (which is a template class).

I get an undefined reference error from ld.

That's why I start a new post for the more general problem description.

l.s.rockfan

That's not the point. I just forgot the semicolons in the example.

I found out, that my problem is not only specific to explicit
constructor calls, but occurs everytime I want to call a polymorph
member function of the base class (which is a template class).

I get an undefined reference error from ld.
That's why I start a new post for the more general problem description.

Okay, the problem was that I have used neither the import nor the export
model for template source code organization[1].

I chose the import model and moved the definitions of the template class
member funtions into the header file and everything works.

[1] http://www.ddj.com/cpp/184401563

l.s.rockfan

That's not the point. I just forgot the semicolons in the example.

I found out, that my problem is not only specific to explicit
constructor calls, but occurs everytime I want to call a polymorph
member function of the base class (which is a template class).

I get an undefined reference error from ld.
That's why I start a new post for the more general problem description.

Okay, the problem was that I have used neither the import nor the export
model for template source code organization[1].

I chose the import model and moved the definitions of the template class
member funtions into the header file and everything is working now.

[1] http://www.ddj.com/cpp/184401563