How to capture network login using ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by mchemsi@gmail.com, Jan 3, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I'm currently maintaining an ASP.NET application with not much
    knowledge about .NET. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

    The application is access internally and has different modules in it,
    most modules are available to all users. However, some should be only
    available to paticular users (like the admin section).

    Web Application:
    |----->Module 1
    |----->Module 2
    |----->Module 3
    |----->Module 4
    |----->Admin Module (Need to be restricted based on network id)

    Currently, the home page does not have any menu link to the admin
    section and if you know the path you can access without a problem. I am
    trying to avoid using a web form to login to that section and use the
    network login as an authentication.

    I would like to add a link in the menu to the admin module and make
    visible only if USER1 for an example is accessing the page.

    I have tried using
    System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent().Name but i get
    the IUSR... accout on the server. I also tried
    HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name but that does not return
    anything.

    THE ENVIRONMENT:
    - Novell Network (Webserver without Novell client).
    - Web App Setting:
    + Anonymous Access is enabled
    + Integrated Windows Authentication is checked.
    - Web Config Setting:
    + <authentication mode="Windows" />
    + <identity impersonate="true" />
    + <authorization> <allow users="*" /> </authorization>

    Thanks in advance.

    Cheers,

    Mehdi Chemsi
    , Jan 3, 2007

    Thanks Nicole for your reply.

    Some modules of the application are supposed to be accessed externally.
    So I am trying to avoid two things. The nuisance caused by login and
    having two instances of the application.

    Is it possible to acheive that?

    Thanks

    , Jan 4, 2007