how to check if a module is importable?

Robert P. J. Day

finally getting back to clawing my way thru the python 3 book so
probably a number of newbie questions coming up. first one -- can i
check if a module is importable (equivalently, exists on sys.path, i
assume) without trying to import it first?

i can see that i can use try/except and just run "import" -- is that
the accepted way to test?

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Lie Ryan

finally getting back to clawing my way thru the python 3 book so
probably a number of newbie questions coming up. first one -- can i
check if a module is importable (equivalently, exists on sys.path, i
assume) without trying to import it first?

i can see that i can use try/except and just run "import" -- is that
the accepted way to test?

check imp.find_module()

Robert P. J. Day

check imp.find_module()

thanks, that's what i was looking for. i'm sure i'll run across
that shortly as i keep working my way thru this python 3 book.